Chapala.com Webboard

Driver's License

I doubt any cop would take a receipt.  Beware of people selling fake driver licenses, unless you personally go into Guadalajara (or Chapala office when they open again) and turn in papers, your license is a fake.  We are taking people in for renewals every 2-3 days, leave my office 9am, back a bit after noon and all done and legal

2 minutes ago, Intercasa said:

I doubt any cop would take a receipt.  Beware of people selling fake driver licenses, unless you personally go into Guadalajara (or Chapala office when they open again) and turn in papers, your license is a fake.  We are taking people in for renewals every 2-3 days, leave my office 9am, back a bit after noon and all done and legal

What do you charge?

We charge 800 pesos plus license cost which runs 300-350 pesos if you are over 60, we include an N95 mask and gloves and gel and take temperature for all people.  

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Intercasa said:

We charge 800 pesos plus license cost which runs 300-350 pesos if you are over 60, we include an N95 mask and gloves and gel and take temperature for all people.  

What documents are needed and how many copies of each?  If one has already paid and has a receipt for license is the process faster? What assistance do you give to those with a  physical disability?

17 hours ago, Intercasa said:

I used Spencer a few weeks ago and it was the best  800pesos value I have spent since at Lakeside. Curb to curb service and because we are "Seniors" we taken to the head of the line. We left 9.15 and back at 12 noon. Licence renewal 200 pesos with senior discount 

2 hours ago, happyjillin said:

What documents are needed and how many copies of each?  If one has already paid and has a receipt for license is the process faster? What assistance do you give to those with a  physical disability?

RENEW DRIVER'S LICENSE IN JALISCO

You must renew your license if  it has expired, lost or stolen, renewal has a cost of 483 pesos, and its process can take from 1 hour to 30 minutes, depending on whether you have all the requested documents in original and copy.

To carry out this procedure, it is necessary to present the documentation requested:

• Unique Population Registry Key (CURP)
  • Driver's license
  • Proof of address (proof needs to be less than 90 days old)
  • Provide your blood type
  • If you are a foreigner, your current immigration documents ie Permanente card
  • Government-issued photo ID.  Passport
  • Original and b&w copies of all.

You must make the relevant payment at the authorized bank , or at the Recaudadora. Save your payment form because you have to present it in original and copy.

3 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

RENEW DRIVER'S LICENSE IN JALISCO

You must renew your license if  it has expired, lost or stolen, renewal has a cost of 483 pesos, and its process can take from 1 hour to 30 minutes, depending on whether you have all the requested documents in original and copy.

To carry out this procedure, it is necessary to present the documentation requested:

• Unique Population Registry Key (CURP)
  • Driver's license
  • Proof of address (proof needs to be less than 90 days old)
  • Provide your blood type
  • If you are a foreigner, your current immigration documents ie Permanente card
  • Government-issued photo ID.  Passport
  • Original and b&w copies of all.

You must make the relevant payment at the authorized bank , or at the Recaudadora. Save your payment form because you have to present it in original and copy.

I asked Spencer how many copies are required of each document so that one can get it right the first time and not have to return.

39 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

I asked Spencer how many copies are required of each document so that one can get it right the first time and not have to return.

Yes always more is better. The CURP should be the printed color original.. and you can use a 2nd printed original as the copy. 

One thing... in the event someone is missing copies all the govt offices in GDL normally have a copy service in the lobby out the door in the street so for a couple of pesos you can get a copy if needed 

27 minutes ago, HoneyBee said:

Just as an add on, you can also use your property tax receipt as proof of address. This was confirmed today by the office in Chapala were I paid my fee to get my drivers licence renewed which I will do this coming Monday in Guadalajara.

Before it was accepted only if your receipt is less than 90 days old. For years documents for proof of residence have always needed to be less than 90 days old. 

I would suggest that you check with the secretaria de movilidad.     Far better Telmex or CFE bill (doesn't have to be in your name..stupid but true)or bank statement

The recaudadora has nothing to do with the issuing or renewal of drivers licenses so what they tell you is not official. 

Would be a wasted day if someone tried to use a comprobante de domicilio that they won't accept. 

Renewal costs for those over 60 are 300-350 pesos but then again feel free to give the government money

Are you sure that as a rentor, all I need for proof of residency is a CFE or TelMex bill? In the past I had to go to a government office on the 2nd floor and provide lease, bills... to get a Certificate of Residency or a current bank statement.

I've been here for 25 years and have never taken a driving test.  I only took a written test once, but a monkey could have passed it.  When I applied for my first MXN driver's license, I had a valid current license from the States, so that may make a difference in whether you must take a driving test.

I renewed the last 2 times at Las Aguilas in GDL and used the phone bill in my wife's name(not the same as my last name) with no problem.  In Mexico 99% of rental properties have the name of the landlord for CFE & Telmex. I doubt all the people in GDL go to get something from the Municipio. 

I renew my IMSS every year no problem either. Also for my INE I used a computer printed CFE bill in my wife's name last year. ( we don't receive paper bills). 

In truth the comprobante de domicilio is a very old and outdated tradition, but in Mexico no employee wants to raise their hand and ask "why do we still need this from our clients?"  

Spencer could chime in with his latest experience because all renewals in  GDL are at the main  transito office right now.  Maybe they are more difficult to deal with. 

38 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

I renewed the last 2 times at Las Aguilas in GDL and used the phone bill in my wife's name(not the same as my last name) with no problem.  In Mexico 99% of rental properties have the name of the landlord for CFE & Telmex. I doubt all the people in GDL go to get something from the Municipio. 

I renew my IMSS every year no problem either. Also for my INE I used a computer printed CFE bill in my wife's name last year. ( we don't receive paper bills). 

In truth the comprobante de domicilio is a very old and outdated tradition, but in Mexico no employee wants to raise their hand and ask "why do we still need this from our clients?"  

Spencer could chime in with his latest experience because all renewals in  GDL are at the main  transito office right now.  Maybe they are more difficult to deal with. 

With respect I think the saying "The only consistent thing in Mexico, is the inconsistency"

This applies to every aspect of living here..Sharing well intended info is only "Good" for you at that time and place.Sadly it does not seem to change

• Thanks 1

They are strict on proof of residence

2 hours ago, HoneyBee said:

Mostlylost, where is the main transito office. I was planning to go to the office located in the Plaza De Torres. Thanks

Plaza de las Torres is not open. The main office is: Av. Circunvalación y Prolongación Alcalde S/N,Jalisco Guadalajara. CP. 44290. Enfrente de Soriana Tránsito

You will need an appointment for any office that is open in GDL. There are more open today than last week. 

Here is the link to make your appointment

https://citas.jalisco.gob.mx/transporte/client/locationList

Ocotlan is working without appts as of yesterday, but you need to get there very early to get a number then wait your turn. They open at 9AM but the line will form way before that time.