Chapala.com Webboard

Live trap needed

I am loosing my ongoing fight with  some local squirrels digging in my potted plants and now they ate the insulation from the underside of my car hood. Just lucky they did not eat my wiring. Looking for someone who rents a live trap to remove the little SOB's.

Thanks 

Don’t have a trap but put mothballs in a ziplock with several hole punched in it with an ice pick. Use 2 bags and put 1 on each side of the engine next to the inside fender. It will keep out vermin’s. We had problems with mice in the engine and With mothballs No more for years. You will have to replace mothballs every couple of months as they evaporate. You can get mothballs at the hardware store east  of Handy mail or the one west of Telmex. We buy 1/2 kilo and store them in a glass jar. 
you may smell the MB for a couple of days but smell will go away. 

• Like 1

Mitch

33 minutes ago, Mitch said:

Thanks for your help. Not having a pet I don't know where the animal shelter is or what Ladron is.

Ladron Clinic and Lakeside Friends of the Animals  are next to each other on the carretera in Riberas; corner of San Luis & Hidalgo (the carretera); lakeside; this is the google map reference https://www.google.com/maps/@20.2936922,-103.2231137,3a,75y,183.91h,80.24t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZNZvin3ES_ZmdO1IFsthzQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Traveling east on the carretera the Animal Shelter and Dr. Ladron's veterinary clinic is on the right side in Riberas. It's a little past S&S Auto which is on the left.

If you trap the squirrels, you have to take them far, far away or they will just come back. It's their home, after all, and they may have a nest with babies. I have found terriers to be the best at squirrel removal. No one likes constant barking, not even squirrels.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, MtnMama said:

If you trap the squirrels, you have to take them far, far away or they will just come back. It's their home, after all, and they may have a nest with babies. I have found terriers to be the best at squirrel removal. No one likes constant barking, not even squirrels.

or neighbors!

11 hours ago, Mitch said:

I am loosing my ongoing fight with  some local squirrels digging in my potted plants and now they ate the insulation from the underside of my car hood. Just lucky they did not eat my wiring. Looking for someone who rents a live trap to remove the little SOB's.

Thanks 

You can purchase a simple but effective humane spring loaded cage type trap for about 250 pesos (they don't rent them) at the garden supply store on the lake side of the carraterra in Riberas.    It is the one with all of the nice maceta pots out front.        Worked great for us, "catch and release" both.      Once the critter is inside, throw a towel over it, load 'em up, drive to where the release is, put on gloves, place on ground, point it away from you and lift the door on the far end.    Off they go.

• Like 1

After you get the trap you must bait it.  Place a few peanuts preferably in shell in a trail to mouth of trap.  Than place several peanuts at far end of trap.  Don't place any peanuts near the mouth of the trap as they may prematurely set it off and get away.