Chapala.com Webboard

Where to buy leg of lamb to cook

sm1mex

You can order a leg of lamb from the lamb butcher/farmer at The Tuesday farmers market inLa Huerta.. It definitely looks younger than a yearling....In order to minimize the chew don’t cook it well done leave it pink in the middle

1 hour ago, Ian Greenwood said:

You can order a leg of lamb from the lamb butcher/farmer at The Tuesday farmers market inLa Huerta.. It definitely looks younger than a yearling....In order to minimize the chew don’t cook it well done leave it pink in the middle

That's the only way to cook any part of lamb,pink in the middle so the juices are there when you cut it. Good advice. Nothing like bbq'd leg of lamb Moroccan style as described in the Frugal Gourmet's  cook book for a group.

moroccan-roast-lamb-with-pearl-couscous-73999-1.jpeg

On 6/2/2020 at 7:25 PM, sm1mex said:

Have you ever tried it and was it leg of lamb. Could you chew it. 

Bubba Plummer the"gourmand" on  ALV answered you there as to quality. His experience was the same as mine. In addition my wife goes to Costco from time to time and phoned me that they had boneless leg of lamb and I said go for it which I regret. The only real spring lamb I've had here in the last few years is the rack de cordero at Soriano and for 3 times the price at panchos, 2 to a pack frozen.

Ian , in France we like our lamb bleeding way rare than in the US and the tuesday market lamb is not eatable that way.. The lamb in the picture of Happyjillin looks good to meand well done, the way I like it but for my family it would be overcooked.

5 hours ago, bmh said:

Ian , in France we like our lamb bleeding way rare than in the US and the tuesday market lamb is not eatable that way.. The lamb in the picture of Happyjillin looks good to meand well done, the way I like it but for my family it would be overcooked.

It's medium rare which is red in the foto not well done which is not red and most of the time I do it rare. You are right the alleged lamb from the markets here is not edible up to and including medium. I suspect that it wouldn't be decent even well done which I have never done to any cut of real spring lamb

The best legs of lamb for roasting come from the hind quarter ( rear )...unfortunately that is also the hardest working muscle ...the  harder the muscle works the tougher the meat gets which is the main reason we want young spring lamb for roasting . The term spring lamb refers to lambs born in the fall or winter which are the best age to eat in the spring...4 - 6 months old . Bone in is probably the easiest, roast 375 to 400°… Remove from oven when lamb is about 130 or 125 for rare cover with foil and let sit 10 - 15 mins while you make the jus . Carve in thin slices especially if on the rare side across the grain . American lamb tends to be larger as is slaughtered older and often grain fed which can produce a milder flavor , but still tender product .... The longer and slower you cook a leg of lamb the tougher it gets . Best to check the Internet for carving instruction space. 

7 minutes ago, Ian Greenwood said:

P S....even lamb should be aged for at least a week - ten days  before cooking..

In Canada I always bought 1/2 carcass spring lamb direct from the farmer and never had a tough one. Then made my portion cuts on my table saw until I got a band saw and froze them.