Chapala.com Webboard

Manic Jack

15 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Need someone to put Majic Jack on my iPhone so I can call US 800 numbers with no charge.

i am computer illiterate so I need help

thanks for any suggestions

To use the app you will need a Magic Jack installed somewhere and an active account. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, oregontochapala said:

I have never been charged anything when using the substitutes. 

I get a message that a charge is possible, but it hasn't happened yet.

But you are still saying that using the 800 numbers cost you nothing. In fact, you cannot use the 800 numbers to dial out unless they are international in nature, and that is infrequently the case. I have heard that you can use the "exit prefix" of 00, but I have never tried that.

I have had the same Telmex landline that I got in 1997 and I have that $389 plan that you do Kyle. If I used one of those special 880 connection numbers to reach an 800 number up north I have always been charged. So I never use that service. I find using my internet Ooma phone which I pay a small monthly fee on it and has a Seattle telephone number is the best way to go.

Dial 001 and then dial 880 if your toll-free number begins with 800. Dial 881 for an 888 number. Dial 882 for an 877 number and dial 883 for all 866 numbers. For instance, if the number is 1-800-555-5555, you would dial 001-880-555-5555.Aug 4, 2017

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kyle said:

Need someone to put Majic Jack on my iPhone so I can call US 800 numbers with no charge.

i am computer illiterate so I need help

thanks for any suggestions

All you need to do is go the App Store which is all ready on you’re IPhone, search for the Magic Jack app, download it, choose a phone number (. I choose  one with an area code From my home town so anyone can call from there toll free.). Pay the subscription fee and you’re good to go..  I have used Magic Jack for about 12 years now, I used it to replace my landline and I also have it on my cell phone, generally speaking it has worked well..

1 hour ago, TelsZ4 said:

All you need to do is go the App Store which is all ready on you’re IPhone, search for the Magic Jack app, download it, choose a phone number (. I choose  one with an area code From my home town so anyone can call from there toll free.). Pay the subscription fee and you’re good to go..  I have used Magic Jack for about 12 years now, I used it to replace my landline and I also have it on my cell phone, generally speaking it has worked well..

Are you saying that you have no Magic Jack land line?  Meaning hardwired to your router/modem...  

2 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Are you saying that you have no Magic Jack land line?  Meaning hardwired to your router/modem...  

Yes..  I worked as an electrician for 40 yrs. so I understand wiring.   My modem is in my basement utility room,  so I plugged the Magic Jack device in to the modem, plugged one end of a phone cable in to the MJ device, I cut the plug off the other end of the cable and spliced it into the box where the phone cable from the street came into my house.  After first disconnecting the incoming Bell phone Line that is,  Then I plug my phone into any of the phone outlets in my house..It’s been that way for 12 years now, never a problem..  just follow the color code on the wires.  I also have to app on my iPad and iPhone, the advantage of that is that my home phone number is active where ever I am. If you don’t want it hardwired like I have mine you can just purchase the Magic Jack app for you’re cell phone and  you don’t need the MJ device that plugs into you’re modem..

• Like 1

OP...does it HAVE to be Magic Jack?  If not download Skype to your phone and dial 800 numbers at no charge.  You will have to create a Skype account, but there is no cost to that.   

You can set your Skype account to display ANY number you want on Caller ID.  Invaluable for calls to US banks, etc. that might not like a MXN or oddly scrambled number that shows on Caller ID with other services.    

• Like 1