Chapala.com Webboard

English Language TV lakeside, from US or Canada

What is the most economical option, that is streaming of course and should you have a solid internet download speed or at least 5 to 10 Megabits per second there are several options. I hope that this discussion includes what the minimum internet speeds you, the user say is necessary. Please read what I have posted and at to this topic and/or correct me where necessary.

Another option is satellite TV. Shaw Direct for a short time longer, maybe for another 5 months to 3 years has the strongest signals lakeside and one Satellite antenna of about four feet in diameter is all you need. The trouble is when the older satellites that one can so easily receive if you have a Shaw receiver and an average account of maybe $130 Canadian per month, will eventually wear out and when they do the older birds will be replaced with much more efficient satellites that can better focus their signal on Canada and you will be lucky to pick up the signals as far south as maybe San Francisco, 'But certainly not Mexico.

Another option is US Dish network. The signal is fairly strong down here using a 4, 6 and 8 foot satellite dish each pointing in a different direction. Now you need only one satellite dish for US DirecTV, but the signals are a little weaker than DISH above and it would be nice if one could get a Ku satellite dish that is larger then 8 feet. I am told that the average monthly cost for one of these US satellite TV is about $130 US per month

I could go on and on, but I am hoping I can start a discussion , Normally I would start this in the Mexico General topic area but because dish sizes could vary a great deal all over Mexico I will start this topic here under the Ajijic, Chapala, Guadalajara Topic where satellite dish sizes would be the same

Isn' t putting a bunch of big satellite dishes on your roof just advertising that you have a bunch of cool stuff worth stealing?

I like the internet option because you can choose exactly the channels you want to watch or record. You actually might end up with more monthly costs than satellite bundles, but, to me it is worth it because I do not want to pay for commercials. They should pay me to watch them!

At the moment I am down to one 12 foot C-Ku band moveable dish that I do not use and have two four footers, one of which I use, a 6 footer that I could use, an 8 footer that has 2 LNBs on it, but not used and an old Shaw Direct Elliptical dish that I no longer use. All the bigger ones are in the back yard and one small 4 footer that I use is on the roof.

Sure I could take a few down, but maybe I will need one or two of then I am not now using in a year or four. When I bought the place in 1997 there was actually an 18 foot in diameter C band dish that allowed me to watch channels from all over the place. But I removed it during a remodel around year 2000

14 hours ago, johanson said:

Another option is US Dish network. The signal is fairly strong down here using a 4, 6 and 8 foot satellite dish each pointing in a different direction. Now you need only one satellite dish for US DirecTV, but the signals are a little weaker than DISH above and it would be nice if one could get a Ku satellite dish that is larger then 8 feet. I am told that the average monthly cost for one of these US satellite TV is about $130 US per month

I have US Dish Network via satellite. Maybe I misunderstand what you wrote, but I have only one, small (probably 4') dish. I get around sixty channels (including all the major networks and ESPN) for about $90 USD a month. Reception is excellent, with the exception of heavy rain. To put that in perspective, I lose satellite lock probably two or three times a year, usually for ten minutes or less.

I was one of Derik's last customers for the Firestick. I watch mostly movies and enough news just to keep my blood pressure from going too low. Works well when my AT&T modem has enough internet speed. Where I live I will probably not live long enough to see fiber optic. Plus I have a Sky TV system. 

I've had Shaw for years. It is perfect for me as I don't watch movies (nothing worth watching). I watch documentaries from TVO, PBS, Knowledge Network , BBC, APTN, etc. and some news. Their have an excellent assortment of news channels from BBC to CBC to CTV to Global to many American channels including CNN.  I record the documentaries on my Shaw satellite receiver (I have about 43 recorded that I can choose to watch from right now). Who knows how long Shaw will be around. I pay about $90 C a month. I let 3 others receive Shaw for free on my account.

1 hour ago, Paul Pattee said:

I installed trial directv go, only english channel I see is CNN. Many american shows, but spanish is dubbed in. What am I missing?

You need a VPN for legal streaming services from the US thus not on the up and up. You may as well save some money and pay for iptv. I have used Area-51 for 2 years and have no complaints. There is a guy on youtube that reviews iptv services... here is his link. Btw you'll need internet speed over 10 for most streaming to work well.

Cable Kill IPTV Reviews

2 hours ago, cedros said:

I've had Shaw for years. It is perfect for me as I don't watch movies (nothing worth watching). I watch documentaries from TVO, PBS, Knowledge Network , BBC, APTN, etc. and some news. ...<snip>

How do you get TVO and Knowledge on Shaw? I used to get them, but that ended months ago. Am I missing something?

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

How do you get TVO and Knowledge on Shaw? I used to get them, but that ended months ago. Am I missing something?

Yeah, when Shaw went all digital, I lost half my channels. Wasn't worth it to me so I went straight chord cutter.

1 hour ago, SoxFan said:

You need a VPN for legal streaming services from the US thus not on the up and up. You may as well save some money and pay for iptv. I have used Area-51 for 2 years and have no complaints. There is a guy on youtube that reviews iptv services... here is his link. Btw you'll need internet speed over 10 for most streaming to work well.

Cable Kill IPTV Reviews

Directv go  streaming,  and DIrect TV are both available and legal in Mexico. No VPN needed 

Like Amazon prime Mexico or Netflix Mexico the  content is different than the content for other countries. 

2 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Directv go  streaming,  and DIrect TV are both available and legal in Mexico. No VPN needed 

Like Amazon prime Mexico or Netflix Mexico the  content is different than the content for other countries. 

Correct. Meant the US version of those apps.

3 hours ago, SoxFan said:

Yeah, when Shaw went all digital, I lost half my channels. Wasn't worth it to me so I went straight chord cutter.

That is because you had one of Shaw's old  receivers. The 600 and above series worked and still work just great. I go north three times a year to Seattle and Vancouver Island. With Shaw I can watch home town stations from both Victoria and Seattle be I up north or down here, lakeside. I love it

5 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

I  just turn it on and there they are. You are missing some good shows.

33 minutes ago, johanson said:

That is because you had one of Shaw's old  receivers. The 600 and above series worked and still work just great. I go north three times a year to Seattle and Vancouver Island. With Shaw I can watch home town stations from both Victoria and Seattle be I up north or down here, lakeside. I love it

I have the newish receivers (still have them if anyone wants to buy lol). Probably was a matter of repositioning the dish. I'm saving $100+ per month now and get the good ol' MeTv, Cozi or whatever I'm in the mood for. I'm good.

Hey SoxFan, what model numbers are these receivers, 500s 600s or 800s?

The actual model number if it were a 600 series might be a 600 or 605 or 630 or something. The numbers change to show whether they can record one channel while you watch another, etc. or you can just watch one channel at a time

Thanks in advance for this information.

2 hours ago, johanson said:

Hey SoxFan, what model numbers are these receivers, 500s 600s or 800s?

The actual model number if it were a 600 series might be a 600 or 605 or 630 or something. The numbers change to show whether they can record one channel while you watch another, etc. or you can just watch one channel at a time

Thanks in advance for this information.

HDDSR 600

8 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Where are you? I thought they moved TVO and Knowledge to the satellite we can't see in Mexico.

Jocotepec. Yes, they can be seen depending on your setup. I have two 630 and one 830 receiver but only using the 630 right now.