Chapala.com Webboard

If your're a U.S. Citizen and didn't get a stimulus check for marrying an alien, note. Also, a hint that may help.

Eric Blair

There are several Class Actions going saying this action is illegal.

If you didn't get a stimulus check because you married a non-U.S. citizen w/o a SS #, if you filed jointly, fill out and send a form 1040X and change your filing status as married filing separately. It might work, but no guarantee. Make sure you change any income to deduct that of your non U.S. spouse.

Just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2020 at 7:29 PM, Eric Blair said:

There are several Class Actions going saying this action is illegal.

If you didn't get a stimulus check because you married a non-U.S. citizen w/o a SS #, if you filed jointly, fill out and send a form 1040X and change your filing status as married filing separately. It might work, but no guarantee. Make sure you change any income to deduct that of your non U.S. spouse.

Just a thought.

Even if spouse has SS number still ineligible. 

If the wife is never mentioned then you get the stimulus. If your wife is not a US citizen or permanent resident, she can't get a Social Security number from what I understand. If she has income from the United States even if she doesn't live or work in the United States, she gets a t i n, taxpayer identification number, and that will block you from getting a stimulus check.

If you haven't filed a tax return for 10 years all you have to  from what I understand  his file some return and give you your direct deposit information and you will get the stimulus.

This pi  what is not thought out in minut detail. There is a class action lawsuit pending right now for people in the situation of having a non-american spouse who is not documented living in the United States. No idea where that will go.

A non permanent resident certainly can get a SS number. I have family members in the US on temporary visas that have SS numbers. I know 2 Mexicans here in Chapala with SS numbers that were never permanent residents of the USA. One is collecting survivor benefits.

The social security law is very specific. If you have a legal  need for a SS number they are required to issue one.  

15 hours ago, Willie said:

Mostlylost......no husband was a U.S. citizen, born n raised in Seattle....passed away a month ago but SS hasn't get taken back the payment received for May...sigh.

Sorry for your loss. You are in an unusual situation.  You are required to notify SS of his death. There is a process. Possibly you can find the info here.:

https://www.ssa.gov/

As to the Stimulus check they are still depositing payments.  

Yes, SS knew the same day...once the consulate knows, they notify SS.  It will take up to 3 mos. for them to take back the last payment to our bank account.

However my SS check is direct deposited to my Mexican bank account so am thinking that may be an issue.  Sure hope not, as I can really use that $$ now!

Vamos a ver.....