Chapala.com Webboard

Corned beef redux

happyjillin

On 5/22/2020 at 2:35 PM, AngusMactavish said:

I have been making my own corned beef for decades. It would take a simpleton to make the process dangerous. The main fault with locally brined beef will be the beef itself. I prefer the point half of the brisket with full fat layers.

IMG_0112.JPG

I agree with you. HAving made several hundred pounds of CB Brisket over the 25 years before coming down here and 3 corned briskets since landing here.  I have never had one go bad. Just follow the formula/recipe.The main problem here is the quality of beef you start with and the fact that a butcher will trim it way too close if you are not watching his work. 

• 4 weeks later...

Place your order now. They will have 10 packages ready for July 21. Since he has a freezer I told him if he couldn't sell them, I would buy them all. Hopefully all you people that wanted real corned beef weren't just BS-ing. It will take me a long time to go through that much corned beef but on the other hand I could donate some to a food bank. If you people don't buy any, it's highly unlikely that they will only do 1 package at a time for me and I have wasted my time with this effort.

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 9:34 AM, happyjillin said:

Place your order now. They will have 10 packages ready for July 21. Since he has a freezer I told him if he couldn't sell them, I would buy them all. Hopefully all you people that wanted real corned beef weren't just BS-ing. It will take me a long time to go through that much corned beef but on the other hand I could donate some to a food bank. If you people don't buy any, it's highly unlikely that they will only do 1 package at a time for me and I have wasted my time with this effort.

Talked to Amador today, he only had 2 kilos left that wasn´t spoken for.  I took one kilo, so I guess there is one kilo left, it will be ready by next Tues.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2020 at 8:20 AM, happyjillin said:

I got my corned beef chunk today and Amador told me that he only sold one other package which must have been slainte39. What happened to the rest of you that alleged you were interested.

Had half of our chunk last night. Boiled/simmered in the package for 3 hours Oh boy was it tender and yummy!

IMG_1248.jpg

IMG_1249.jpg

IMG_1250a.jpg

Prepared ours tonight.

WOW!!!.....Just EXCELLENT!.....Waaaay better than I expected.

Did the same as you, simmered/boiled on low heat for 3 hours, then drained and let set for an hour before slicing.  Sliced into 1 cm. strips for sandwiches. It was perfection.  Be sure when you slice that you cut at a 90° angle to the grain of the meat for best results.

I can truthfully say it was the best thing I have eaten this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, slainte39 said:

Prepared ours tonight.

WOW!!!.....Just EXCELLENT!.....Waaaay better than I expected.

Did the same as you, simmered/boiled on low heat for 3 hours, then drained and let set for an hour before slicing.  Sliced into 1 cm. strips for sandwiches. It was perfection.  Be sure when you slice that you cut at a 90° angle to the grain of the meat for best results.

I can truthfully say it was the best thing I have eaten this year.

Now if only more people ordered it so that he will continue to make it. I slice mine as thin as possible so that i can stack it in the sandwich.  I like it warm so I let it sit for about 10 minutes before I slice it.

15 minutes ago, slainte39 said:

Is that because you don´t have any teeth???  I like chewing!!!  

I have excellent dentures. that's just the way it's served in the delis I've eaten in. And besides, his corned beef is not tough at all. Definitely good deli quality. Foto is from Katz's Deli,New York. Now if I could only find some good rye bread like that here,

corned_beef_on_rye_with_a_side_of_kraut_.jpg

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 3:33 PM, happyjillin said:

I have excellent dentures. that's just the way it's served in the delis I've eaten in. And besides, his corned beef is not tough at all. Definitely good deli quality. Foto is from Katz's Deli,New York. Now if I could only find some good rye bread like that here,

corned_beef_on_rye_with_a_side_of_kraut_.jpg

Pedro, or any body else that´s interested, Amador is going to do another batch of corned beef to be ready by the 14 of August. 

Stop by the Smoke House, Pancho´s on Sat, or call him, to get your order in.  I ordered 2 kilos today.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, happyjillin said:

Amador's corned beef is the best I've had since leaving Canada. I've suggest to him that he might want to put it on the restaurant menu.

Since that was his first  experience with corned beef, he still doesn´t have the confidence yet that he has it mastered.  I told him he was light years ahead of most people that get into doing that process at first. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I and Smokehouse went to a lot of trouble to make REAL chunk corned beef available here and only  2 of us seem to be buying it regularly. You need to order at least 10 days in advance to get a minimum of 1 kilo. I just had a 1 1/2 kilo chunk delivered today by Amador, which i will simmer in the package for about 3 hours manana so we can have this for dinner and freeze the rest.

IMG_1226cb.jpg