Chapala.com Webboard

Corned beef redux

happyjillin

I bought your pickles today at WalMart. And now I know you and I have completely different tastes. Because these are limp and not nearly as flavourful as Strubs, Whites, or even Mt. Olive in terms of taste. Although they are much better than the typical barrel dills one can get around here, the limpness makes them just like those godawful Vlasics.

I have a source of Heinz dill slices at 44p a jar (Amazon.com.mx) so I will stick to those. I hope our taste in relation to corned beef, smoked meat, and pastrami is a better match.

pickles.thumb.jpg.268505fffc17f4ac38239dbb7c3e776c.jpg

20 minutes ago, tsktsktsk said:

I bought your pickles today at WalMart. And now I know you and I have completely different tastes. Because these are limp and not nearly as flavourful as Strubs, Whites, or even Mt. Olive in terms of taste. Although they are much better than the typical barrel dills one can get around here, the limpness makes them just like those godawful Vlasics.

I have a source of Heinz dill slices at 44p a jar (Amazon.com.mx) so I will stick to those. I hope our taste in relation to corned beef, smoked meat, and pastrami is a better match.

pickles.thumb.jpg.268505fffc17f4ac38239dbb7c3e776c.jpg

I never said that they were as good as Strubs or Mrs. White. The flavour is what count's not limpness,they are slices not whole. Better than any sour dill or alleged Kosher around here. Heinz? You're joking right?

You said and I quote: "They are the closest thing to Kosher style available around here." I mistook that for meaning "good".

You said, quote: "They are the closest thing to Kosher style available around here." I never suggested that you said they were as good as Strubs or Whytes.

You also said quote: "Mt Olive is garbage too. The jar that I showed in the foto is waaaay better than the imported crap sold here and is sour and the closest I could find to Strubs or Mrs. Wytes." These are not even close in my opinion. The flavour is off, and of course the crunch is half of it. A limp pickle is useless to me. My Heinz slices are crisp.

And yes, Heinz. I have a case if you would like to try a couple of bottles. They are far superior in both flavour and crunch to these Delencur in my opinion. And the Mt. Olive full dill in the large jar at SuperLake is the best kosher dill I have encountered in Mexico. If you have tried them and don't like them, that's perfectly alright, although beyond me.

Now you'll remember I interceded in this conversation by saying 'our tastes obviously differ'. I did not intend to turn this into a pissing contest about pickles.

5 hours ago, tsktsktsk said:

You said and I quote: "They are the closest thing to Kosher style available around here." I mistook that for meaning "good".

You said, quote: "They are the closest thing to Kosher style available around here." I never suggested that you said they were as good as Strubs or Whytes.

You also said quote: "Mt Olive is garbage too. The jar that I showed in the foto is waaaay better than the imported crap sold here and is sour and the closest I could find to Strubs or Mrs. Wytes." These are not even close in my opinion. The flavour is off, and of course the crunch is half of it. A limp pickle is useless to me. My Heinz slices are crisp.

And yes, Heinz. I have a case if you would like to try a couple of bottles. They are far superior in both flavour and crunch to these Delencur in my opinion. And the Mt. Olive full dill in the large jar at SuperLake is the best kosher dill I have encountered in Mexico. If you have tried them and don't like them, that's perfectly alright, although beyond me.

Now you'll remember I interceded in this conversation by saying 'our tastes obviously differ'. I did not intend to turn this into a pissing contest about pickles.

I will buy your jar that you are unhappy with from you so that you don't have to be burdened with those even though I  have 1 1/2 jars if you can deliver to mi casa. Are you Canadian by the way?

2 minutes ago, kam said:

It ain't over until you admit you were wrong and beg forgiveness - even then, it might not be over.

What's that all about since nobody's wrong. Do you know anything about Kosher pickles and are you unhappy that I found a source for corned beef?-SNORK!

pedro kertesz

On 5/24/2020 at 8:46 AM, happyjillin said:

Had another chunk last night. only simmered it for 2 hrs,might even do it less next time.The pickles I used, not just for this but also on hotdogs,burgers and rouladen,are from Aguascaliente and can be bought at Walmart. They are the closest thing to Kosher style available around here. Vlasic Kosher brand, which are imported, are a joke and don't even come close in flavour to real Kosher or Kosher style-yuch!

pickles.jpg

IMG_1226cb.jpg

Back to the corned beef.  I just gave them a packaging machine and bags to make it consumer friendly and also suggested a bit better trimming. Also gave him Ian's  package of nitrate salt. the next batch should be ready in 10 days and the restaurant making it is none other than THE SMOKEHOUSE.  About a week ago I told Amador that a lot of us miss real skin and fat on smoked pork hocks weighing 1 kilo or less. He brought one today and it looks and smells fantastic. Ready to eat so I'm just going to warm it in the oven unless I decide to cross cut the skin and fat to do it Bavarian style,crisp skin and fat. Will post a report with pics after having it for dinner tonight. Life is good!!!

• Thanks 1

Wowser, yum yum yum for the pork hocks!!!! about 1 kilo in size and smoked so well that it was cooked too and the meat literally fell off the bone. I would guess about 1 kilo and we had leftovers  after sharing the meat potions and having with mashed and kraut. I only had to put it in the oven to warm it up. I'm saving the skin and fatty part to try and broil it crisp like you get on a Bavarian style hock. Tonight Yvonne is going to make Fettuccinne Alfredo with the leftover meat.

IMG_1234.jpg

IMG_1236.jpg

37 minutes ago, Yo1 said:

I use hocks for beans, especially lima beans.  I had to buy liquid smoke to add because most smoked hocks here are not smoky enough.  Although I have ordered double smoked from Tony's.

These are the real thing like NOB  and Europe and the first I've had since leaving Canada. Have you seen the Smokehouse smoker? Had Tony's and being skinless they can't even compare.Even smoked turkey leg from Soriana and Walmart is better than his. Here in Mexico the skin is removed because making  chicharron is more lucrative. I hope Smokehouse decides to continue doing them and then I don't need to buy Tony's and the turkey legs ever again.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Upfront said:

the smokehouse is in the business of making smoked meats so not sure whey it would it be a problm to alwys have some?

Didn't read this thread did you. For starters CORNED BEEF is not smoked but they were willing to try making it  and the pork hocks are not their regular thing. I requested that they try and both things are by special order ONLY, 10 & 8 days in advance.

16 minutes ago, Upfront said:

i most certainly did read this thread. maybe im not a genios about meats, turkey. christ. aska simple question

I gave the whole story not just  about meats so if you did "look" at the whole thread you did not read it or just not comprehend it. I  take it you're not interested in either product,in any event. To the people who wanted locally made real corned beef,have any of you ordered some?

14 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

To the people who wanted locally made real corned beef,have any of you ordered some?

You quoted $565p/kilo? That's only USD $11.67/lb.

I'll pass on the opportunity, thanks.

• Like 1

Just now, happyjillin said:

Rangers sell their pastrami for $800p.

Sorry, my comment was based on the meat being cured and not cooked. Guess not.

On 6/6/2020 at 2:13 PM, AngusMactavish said:

Sorry, my comment was based on the meat being cured and not cooked. Guess not.

It's cured over 10 days and ready to cook after that which is something I like to do. Rangers pastrami is cured and smoked ready to eat.

Just now, happyjillin said:

It's cured over 10 days and ready to cook after that which is something I like to do. Rangers patrami is cured and smoked ready to eat.

OK, grossly overpriced beef it is.

20 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

OK, grossly overpriced beef it is.

Let me put this in perspective for you money wise unless you're a glutton , nobody I would think, would  eat a kilo all by themselves. I  cut 2 kilos into 4 portions for corned beef sandwiches each one being enough of a meal for 2 of us. And nobody else here supplies it. I  pursued this for some people here that want the real thing instead of the phony packaged crap and now I  got into trying to help a local business by giving them some equipment and buying from them. What is your motivation for posts like this? None of us make our own like you do and you probably don't want to sell yours for a reasonable price after you calculate all your costs including labour. Hopefully enough people will order from the Smokehouse to help a small business to stay afloat and enjoy a good product.

• Like 1