Chapala.com Webboard

Corned beef redux

happyjillin

Well I found a place that was willing to try. It tastes like the real deal. The best I've had since Smitty and Rick were making it. It is not commercially viable yet. Not red and they don't have vacuum packing equipment. Brought it[2+ kilos to me in the brine pail and it needed further trimming. I cut it into 4 pieces as well and we use it for sandwiches only. I simmered it in water, in a baggy for 3 hours but next one I'm going to do for only 2. It was so nice to taste real corned beef again instead of that packaged crap that all the stores sell.

corned beef chunk.jpg

brine.jpg

On 5/20/2020 at 1:01 PM, Xena said:

When you said, “It is not commercially viable yet” I assumed the corned beef was not available for purchase at this point. Is it?

I need to discuss colour and packaging  with them which I will do this Saturday. I don't care how it looks and that I had to do further trimming. It takes 10 days,so the packaging is important so that they can sell it frozen like Smitty and Rick did. It needs to appeal to everybody. Boy, it sure tastes good!

We would be interested!  Let us know when it's commercially available and how to place an order. 

Thanks!

Val :)

I wouldn' t order until I was satisified that they had solved the botulism problem from a long, wet cure. Probably the health department will require the same for a product produced at the commercial level. Usually sodium nitrate, saltpetre, is added, which is the red color. Most non nitrate recipes require celery juice powder - now where in the haitch do you buy that?

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/12/how-not-to-die-of-botulism/281649/

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

I wouldn' t order until I was satisified that they had solved the botulism problem from a long, wet cure. Probably the health department will require the same for a product produced at the commercial level. Usually sodium nitrate, saltpetre, is added, which is the red color. Most non nitrate recipes require celery juice powder - now where in the haitch do you buy that?

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/12/how-not-to-die-of-botulism/281649/

This is MOD5 Try to be a little bit more polite ………………... I was the guinea pig for all of us that lust for REAL CORNED BEEF made here by  a professional restaurateur. I ordered it having full confidence in them and my wife and I enjoyed it immensely with no ill effects.

Edited by happyjillin
edited so that there will be no unnecessary confusion.
  • Haha 1

I have been making my own corned beef for decades. It would take a simpleton to make the process dangerous. The main fault with locally brined beef will be the beef itself. I prefer the point half of the brisket with full fat layers.

IMG_0112.JPG

23 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

I have been making my own corned beef for decades. It would take a simpleton to make the process dangerous. The main fault with locally brined beef will be the beef itself. I prefer the point half of the brisket with full fat layers.

IMG_0112.JPG

Looks great baked and you will note the foto in the OP is the same cut of the brisket just brined but not yet cooked.

Had another chunk last night. only simmered it for 2 hrs,might even do it less next time.The pickles I used, not just for this but also on hotdogs,burgers and rouladen,are from Aguascaliente and can be bought at Walmart. They are the closest thing to Kosher style available around here. Vlasic Kosher brand, which are imported, are a joke and don't even come close in flavour to real Kosher or Kosher style-yuch!

pickles.jpg

IMG_1226cb.jpg

• Like 3

Mt Olive is garbage too. The jar that I showed in the foto is waaaay better than the imported crap sold here and is sour and the closest I could find to Strubs or Mrs. Wytes. It's in a kiosk between the bakery and hot dogs at Walmart. I've been getting it there for a few years now.

On 5/21/2020 at 1:16 PM, Ian Greenwood said:

I have a kilo of pink salt / sodium nitrate / super cure from Wiberg In Canada , which I don’t want .... if anyone wants it give me a call....766 5896....I’m home in the afternoons .

Gracias Ian! I will give them this when  I give them the packaging machine. Support your local restaurants .They are suffering and some will not make it.

• Like 1