Chapala.com Webboard

kefir lime tree

bmh

I am looking for a replacement for my kefir lime tree .. anyone knows where to get one?

Anyone can give me the full name of Luc the Belgium man who has or had a nursery of exotic plants in Vallarta.. Anyone has a phone number, full name, address or location and if he is still in business?

Luc still has a patch of jungle up the mountain and some plants around his home. He says his age and poor health prevent business activity.

Greensshop in Veracruz has one, but they are pricey, but probably a two year graft. The apple and peach trees they sent me are thriving.

https://thegreensshop.com/tienda/index.phpcontroller=searchorderby=positionorderway=descsearch_query=limesubmit_search=

I will look up Luc's email just in case

2 hours ago, bmh said:

I am looking for a replacement for my kefir lime tree .. anyone knows where to get one?

Anyone can give me the full name of Luc the Belgium man who has or had a nursery of exotic plants in Vallarta.. Anyone has a phone number, full name, address or location and if he is still in business?

I got mine at Cruz (Vivero San Antonio. ) Just South of SuperLake.

SunFan

Thanks for all the answers. I go via Vera Cruz to Chiapas so it would be an easy one.. I will also check the ones in San Antonio.  I got mine from seeds that my cousins sent me from Asia and it lasted several years and I have lots of leaves in the freezer but the new gardners forgo to water it and let it dry out.... I was furious but things happen when you are not around.. I had it in a large pot and told them that it was the most important thing in the garden.... 

We have lots of mamey on the market in Chiapas so I am ok on mamey.. I brought back fro Palenque a cacao tree from Palenque and a durian.. we will see if they will make it.. I have coffee from Vera Cruz and from CHiapas and the 2 are doing well  but the climate for cacao and durian is probably to o dry and too cold in the winter but we will see,

Maincoon , good luck the blight got a grapefruit tree, a mandarine tree, three orange trees , the only thinone it did not get was the kefir lime but the garners got that one. SOmetimes you cannot win..

Blackberries should do really well but they are easy to find so it may not be worth using the space for them..

2 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

I'd like to find a regular lime tree that is blight resistant.  Blight got our last one.

Hmmm. I've had two lime trees, again from Cruz, for over 6 years with no disease problems. A Persian and I can't remember the other one. Worst issue I've had is keeping up with harvest.

SunFan

4 hours ago, bmh said:

I had it in a large pot and told them that it was the most important thing in the garden.... 

Not sure what kind of pot you had it in, and of course if they neglected to water it at all, it would die. But here's a method I came up with that assists with 2 issues- the clay pots dry out really quickly, and also when whatever you have in it needs to be potted up to  bigger size, you almost invariably end up breaking the pot when trying to remove the plant and the roots. Also if you ever want to move the pot to a different area, unless you have it on wheels, it's too heavy. So I use a plastic pot to plant in, then drop it into a clay pot. You never see the plastic pot (if you want to hid the rim, just put some attractive rocks around on top) and when it's time to repot or move, it's way easier and you won't end up breaking the clay pot. And the soil stays much moister for longer in the plastic pot.

It was in a large plastic pot in the garden but I think it was too sunny considering they did not water it...  I bought another couple of small trees in Riberas today.. one of them has a fruit on it..  Not that I use the fruit.. but it was interesting to see such a young plant with the fruit on it. 120 pesos was the price..,uch lower than what I was expecting. There is a larger one for 350 but it has some kind of nsects attacking it.