Chapala.com Webboard

Military to support public safety

You may have noticed that in the past week or so there have been several articles about engaging the military to support public safety in Mexico and AMLO supports this need.  This was tried during the Calderon time and we now no that it failed because is security "minister" was in bed with one of the major cartels. I hope this time around it works

And that has worked? Half the government and military have been in bed with the cartels for as long as I can remember. The Navy has been the best but even they have had issues. The cartels simply have too much money.

• Like 1

All the newspapers, and at least 2 networks had the  information.Even today this story:

President López Obrador highlights the need for the military to participate in the fight against insecurity. Despite criticism from different organizations that warned of the danger of continuing to militarize public security, President Andrés Manuel López Obrador (AMLO) made it clear that he wants the Army on the streets to combat violence.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

All the newspapers, and at least 2 networks had the  information.Even today this story:

President López Obrador highlights the need for the military to participate in the fight against insecurity. Despite criticism from different organizations that warned of the danger of continuing to militarize public security, President Andrés Manuel López Obrador (AMLO) made it clear that he wants the Army on the streets to combat violence.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/11/mexico-lopez-obrador-armed-forces-decree

It is not going to do much good, my hunch is that AMLO is doing it more for fear of future riots and marches due to a failing economy when people cant feed their family they get angry. Since AMLO's stance is Abrazos no balazos (hugs not bullets) it will not be effective , there have been so many incidents in the past where the military is kidnapped and guns taken. Unless AMLO changes his stance to fight crime head on things will continue to deteriorate.

• Like 1

Here's a report from Al Jazeera posted on a parallel thread in Mexico General.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/05/mexico-president-orders-military-streets-years-200512031731401.html

I would say AMLO has changed his stance based on this policy change.  

One wonders how the massive loss of jobs due to CV and how it is being handled are going to affect crime.  Will more be driven into the arms of the cartels?

Let's remember to keep this non political and stick to discussing the policy change and its implication for us here in Mexico.

Frankly I can't imagine being in any Presidente's shoes and trying to deal with the endemic problems of crime and corruption in this country.  The man has my profound sympathy.

• Thanks 2

The issue is that Lopez Obrador has taken no real initiative against crime, the issue in Culiacan with El Chapos son seemed to have set the ground rules for the President.

He claimed he would hit the cartels in their pocket book and yes, he has seized a lot of bank accounts, properties etc. Unfortunately, that solves nothing, it just bleeds more drugs into this country and since the Cartels need cash liquidity, kidnappings, counterfeiting and business extorsion will do just fine.

• Thanks 1