Chapala.com Webboard

When will Parque La Cristiania open again ? TODAY !

I don't have any inside info but I suspect the parks and other public outdoor spaces such as malecons will be closed for a while simply because that is where crowds of people collect, and that is what still has to be avoided.  However, you can still take walks around town or whatever, you don't need to be indoors all day.  Just keep your mask on and don't congregate or get closer than 6' to anyone.  Better to be 6' apart than 6' under!

Too bad since that park is so big, you have to go out of your way to get within 20 feet of anyone, but I'm sure it's being grouped with smaller parks where distancing is a more of an issue.

Wish they would take a more targeted and limited entry approach.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2020 at 2:56 PM, ezpz said:

I don't have any inside info but I suspect the parks and other public outdoor spaces such as malecons will be closed for a while simply because that is where crowds of people collect, and that is what still has to be avoided.  However, you can still take walks around town or whatever, you don't need to be indoors all day.  Just keep your mask on and don't congregate or get closer than 6' to anyone.  Better to be 6' apart than 6' under!

If you honestly believe this, then stay away.

Otherwise:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/04/closing-parks-ineffective-pandemic-theater/609580/

The BBC noted:

And Linda Bauld, professor of public health at University of Edinburgh, said: "The health implications of the lockdown that we anticipate - increased alcohol consumption, domestic violence, anxiety and depression, poor diet and decreased physical activity - will get worse if we confine more of us to our homes, without the hugely important respite that outdoor exercise provides."

"If the rationale is virus transmission outdoors, then far stronger evidence is needed to justify it."

Carl Heneghan, professor of evidence-based medicine at University of Oxford, pointed to limited evidence that people who exercise suffer the symptoms of diseases such as Covid for fewer days.

He also stressed that people with other health conditions do much worse with the virus, and if people stop exercising they are more likely to have other conditions.

"If the government is going to stop outdoor exercise then it is stopping responding to evidence," he said.

Merriam Webster

Definition of ax-grinding

: working for an ulterior purpose or toward a selfish end fulfills the … aims of its author with a minimum of ax-grinding

Edited by All Day
Because Mod thought picture of an ax and grinder was threatening. Doesn't seem to understand what "grinding your ax" means.
  • Haha 1

The law of unintended consequences:

https://qz.com/1850947/the-deadly-consequences-of-the-covid-19-economic-shutdown/

A recent New York Times article quoted a Delhi, India worker stating, “Instead of coronavirus, the hunger will kill us.” The piece reported that around 265 million people around the world could face starvation by the end of the year, and that measures like strict stay-at-home orders are “drying up work and incomes, and are likely to disrupt agricultural production and supply routes.” As bad as millions of people starving to death may be, it’s only one of many other consequences that are likely to arise from a prolonged total economic shutdown.

Another is increased death and abuse in the home. TIME magazine recently published a report saying domestic abuse cases are tripling in China as “a result of enforced lockdown.” Other reports detail how domestic abuse killings have been “more than double” in the period of pandemic lockdown.

According to research at Oxford University, suicide rates rise about 1% for every percentage point increase in unemployment. Based on data from the last recession, Oxford researcher Aaron Reeves told Reuters, “I think there is a good chance we could see twice as many suicides over the next 24 months than we saw during the early part of the last recession.” That means keeping the economy shut could add 20,000 additional deaths by suicide on top of the estimated 48,000 Americans who already die by suicide each year ....

It’s easy to paint a decision to close or reopen a given market as partisan and to cast aspersions against political opponents accordingly. But the situation is far more complicated than that, and failing to acknowledge the many factors involved does us all a disservice. In the end, those who favor keeping the economy shut down indefinitely in an effort to slow the spread of coronavirus may inadvertently do more harm in the long run—despite all noble intentions.

The damned horse is dead, isn't it.  I know we are all bored, but there are more productive activities to replace arguments.  Or, maybe I am not enough of an 'old curmudgeon' yet.

I posted twice, look just above your post. The 2 employees are the wife and son of Lupe my massage guy and that's what their boss told them. They both just work at the tennis courts so you tennis players keep your fingers crossed. The tennis courts entrance is at the north end where the courts are.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Tennis is supposed to open Monday in Chapala. I received the "protocol" from Carlos who runs the courts for the city. It looks like it's going to be a hassle if the rules are followed.

PROTOCOLO DE SANITIZACIÓN

Para el ingreso a las canchas de tennis

1.pisar el tapete con agua clorada

2.poner gel en las manos

3.solo con reservacion.. Tel 7657145 con lalo celular 3310730716

Procolo dentro de cancha

1.tomar su sana distacia durante los cambios de cancha.( Cambio de cancha por diferentes lados)

2.cada jugador tendrá que llevar sus pelotas con su nombre..y solo puede tocar las pelotas de su propiedad

3.no saludarse ala termino del partido

Estos son los protocolo para jugar tennis y en el parque de la cristiania

Quedó A sus órdenes Atte prof Juan Carlos castro.

Contacto 3314867173

charly_19castro@yahoo.es             

Run it  through Google Translate if you want to know more but you must make reservations with Lalo (no English), keep distance, write your name on balls with the owner the only person to touch them, change courts use opposite sides and no gathering to talk at the end of the match. Gel and chlorine water before getting on the court. Sounds like fun. Not.