Chapala.com Webboard

Farmacia Similares

I've read about this pharmacy and was wondering if there is just one location or if it is a chain? I've read that they usually have better prices and that for prescriptions, one should check. Also Is Farmacia Cristina at only one location or is ot a chain? Thanks for any input.

It's a chain, all over Mexico, as far as I'm aware. You can take this with a grain of salt, but my neurologist told me, when he wrote me a prescription, that it's fine to take generics, but to steer clear of the Farmacia Similar ones, that they are really inferior.

• Like 1

I have taken meds from Farmica Similars chain for many years without any problem. There are many drugs they do not have. They only have generics. Their cost is lower. They have many stores across Mexico. Often stores a block apart will have different stock items, perhaps the stores are franchses and order what they want. Farmicia Christina is a sole enterprise as opposed to a chain.

Remember we were told for years not to order foreign manufactured drugs. Turns out China makes most of the active ingredients anyway even for name brand pharmaceuticals.

• Thanks 1

I have used medicines from Farmacia Similares in various towns and cities--Ajijic, Guadalajara, Morelia, Pátzcuaro, Mexico City, etc--for nearly 20 years.  In the beginning, I studied the ingredients listed on each medicine's box to make sure that they were the same as on their corresponding brand-name medicines.  I have never seen that the ingredients on brand-name medicines that have been prescribed for me are different from those listed on the boxes of generics from Farmacia Similares.  I have been 100% satisfied in all of my dealings with them and in all that time, I haven't purchased meds from any other pharmacy.  I ALWAYS take advantage of Monday's 25% discount--this past Monday, I bought 2 boxes of a medicine I regularly take and the discount from the regular low price was 64.50 pesos.  

In addition, for any minor ailment I have (I am susceptible to earaches, for example), I see the on-site doctor at any of the Farmacias Similares.  For an earache, the doctor prescribes what I need, I pay the 40 peso fee, and buy my medicine right there. 

image.thumb.png.d6b4ffeddc6f014186815e9c775eff65.png
Dr. Victor González, the founder of Farmacia Similares, has done a tremendous service for all of us who live here.  Inexpensive, reliable medicines are a boon.  I am grateful for his making my life better.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, flummoxed said:

The gov't of Mexico has strict laws that the generic companies must abide by. One is that ingredients in generic medicines are identical to the original. I have never heard of a single problem.

I can assure you that all generics are not all exactly like the brand name drugs. The active ingredient may be the same, but there may be different buffering agents used.

The one I can tell you for sure isn't the same is Valium and generic diazapam. I've used Valium when there's something stressing me out or making me anxious and I can't shut off my brain long enough to fall asleep. The generics don't work like Valium. With Valium, I'm relaxed and asleep within 15 minutes, with the generic, I'm still wide awake an hour later. This was true in Canada as well as Mexico. Other people I know have had the same experience with that particular drug. May not be the same for all.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2020 at 8:24 AM, flummoxed said:

The gov't of Mexico has strict laws that the generic companies must abide by. One is that ingredients in generic medicines are identical to the original. I have never heard of a single problem.

I have heard of a serious problem with Combardte. I bought it a a large farmacia here as did my urologist buy it there for his father. Both of us got very series arthritis from it.   The urologist thought the arthitis was caused an impurituy or filler mixed with the drug. . No proof. 

16 hours ago, liquipure said:

I've read about this pharmacy and was wondering if there is just one location or if it is a chain? I've read that they usually have better prices and that for prescriptions, one should check. Also Is Farmacia Cristina at only one location or is ot a chain? Thanks for any input.

There is a Farmacia Cristina in Colima also.

Generic drugs tend to be weaker in dosage by about 20% when compared to brand-name drugs. If you are using drugs that have a dosage measured in milligrams, this is probably close enough. However, if you are using drugs measured in micrograms, you should stick with the brand-name version.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, mudgirl said:

I can assure you that all generics are not all exactly like the brand name drugs. The active ingredient may be the same, but there may be different buffering agents used.

The one I can tell you for sure isn't the same is Valium and generic diazapam. I've used Valium when there's something stressing me out or making me anxious and I can't shut off my brain long enough to fall asleep. The generics don't work like Valium. With Valium, I'm relaxed and asleep within 15 minutes, with the generic, I'm still wide awake an hour later. This was true in Canada as well as Mexico. Other people I know have had the same experience with that particular drug. May not be the same for all.

FDA allows up to 20 percent wiggle room or variation of the active ingredient and buffering agents or filler are not regulated at all and that can be an issue also as far as interaction with the active ingredient... If I can get it I stick to the brand.

12 minutes ago, michael2595 said:

FDA allows up to 20 percent wiggle room or variation of the active ingredient and buffering agents or filler are not regulated at all and that can be an issue also as far as interaction with the active ingredient... If I can get it I stick to the brand.

Thanks for the info. I knew darn well the difference isn't all in my head. I find that things like generic ibuprofen or tylenol works fine, but not some other things. There's something like over 600 chemical compounds in things people use every day that aren't regulated. I recently watched the movie "Dark Waters" about how Dupont was taken to court over the chemical used to produce Teflon, which poisoned an entire town and the factory workers. Class action suit, which they then decided they were going to take each plaintiff to court separately on. After millions of dollars in payouts as each case was ruled in favor of the victims, they settled out of court for the rest. They're still using that chemical and people are still cooking in Teflon.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2020 at 9:20 AM, desafinada said:

To answer the where question, there is one in Ajijic near Plaza Montana on the mountain side of the carreterra.  There is also one in Chapala.

I'm not sure if the one in Ajijic by Plaza Montana is there any more? Maybe one of their regular clients will know if it is, or if they moved, or vanished from Ajijic?

I worked in what some like to call "the big pharma industry" and I only purchase brand name drugs.  The broad spectram antibiotic Tetracyline patented by Pfizer was meant to do what it was supposed to and a British generic firm jumped the gun before the patent ran out and their product only worked 30% of the time.  Not drug related example is Coca Cola. The ingredients have been easily identified chemically yet nobody has ever been able to duplicate it.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2020 at 8:24 AM, flummoxed said:

You may wish to discuss this with your Doctor as I did. A generic is "suppose" to be identical in chemical composition and quantity, however similar is not. A "similar" one may or may not work for your condition with the prescribed  results, your health is at stake.

• Like 1

Not all Simlares stores are the same with regards to management styles and policies. In Chapala there are two stores near the bus station. The one on the actual bus station side is terrible - wont give refunds, even with their mistakes, price gouging or not telling you specials, discounts, etc. The one across the street, mountain side, a total different story. Professional, brings in popular items their regular customers need, always trying to save you money. They also have an associated script doctor right next door, but we have never made use of that.

2 hours ago, Alpha1 said:

You may wish to discuss this with your Doctor as I did. A generic is "suppose" to be identical in chemical composition and quantity, however similar is not. A "similar" one may or may not work for your condition with the prescribed  results, your health is at stake.

Farmacia Similaries is the name of the store. They sell generic not similar medicines. 

My fault, unfortunate wording. Both stores Farmacia Similares franchise stores. Both difficult to park, requires double parking with driver in car.Either move around the block if you see traffic transito coming, or wait  for them, they will usually smile, and gesture for you to move on, while they ticket double parkers who have left their vehicles, if it is an expensive vehicle, the Transitos will take their time, hoping to collect more when the driver comes back and starts the conversation with "Do you know who I am?". A kaching sound to Transito ears.

2 hours ago, happyjillin said:

I worked in what some like to call "the big pharma industry" and I only purchase brand name drugs.  The broad spectram antibiotic Tetracyline patented by Pfizer was meant to do what it was supposed to and a British generic firm jumped the gun before the patent ran out and their product only worked 30% of the time.  Not drug related example is Coca Cola. The ingredients have been easily identified chemically yet nobody has ever been able to duplicate it.

It is my understanding that when a medicine comes "off patent" it can be manufactured by anyone. The patent itself has the exact formula. Anyone can get a copy of the patent. Coca Cola, like KFC,  does not have a patent on it's formula.  It has never been made public. 

45 minutes ago, Upfront said:

so you are saying that because the stor name is not farmacia generico that its baloney

NO, it may be generic or simply similar, therefore check if a similar med will do the job according to your doctor, and most importantly in alleviating your symptoms. BTW, I purchased brand name meds for Merck, same medication and chemical composition, one price lower than the other. It caused problems, when I showed the Doctor the package, I was told, yes same drug, however the variation of dose in the higher priced item is closer to the recommend and posted dose. I switched and alleviated the problem. I still have a difficult time understanding how this can be, but it is! Pharmacology is a very complex topic and what you don't know will hurt you.