Chapala.com Webboard

What is this plant?

It's a hydrangea, known in Spanish as hortensia.  Look at the shape and pointed edges of the leaves, and look at the individual flowers which will continue to open to form balls of flowers.  This is the time of year when hydrangea macrofilla is in bud and in bloom.   I just took the picture (the pink and blue flowers, green leaves) in my patio.

Cape leadwort (aka plumbago) is a different plant.  Look at the leaves, they are nothing like the leaves of the hydrangea.  image.png.dd6b57c611f805abf8fa32fc12910dd7.png

Hortensia 14-5-2020.jpg

4 hours ago, More Liana said:

It's a hydrangea, known in Spanish as hortensia.  Look at the shape and pointed edges of the leaves, and look at the individual flowers which will continue to open to form balls of flowers.  This is the time of year when hydrangea macrofilla is in bud and in bloom.   I just took the picture (the pink and blue flowers, green leaves) in my patio.

Cape leadwort (aka plumbago) is a different plant.  Look at the leaves, they are nothing like the leaves of the hydrangea.  image.png.dd6b57c611f805abf8fa32fc12910dd7.png

Hortensia 14-5-2020.jpg

That is a different plant to what the OP posted.

4 hours ago, Ida Slapter said:

Ah yes, I was in Province Town MA once when they were all in bloom.  It was beautiful.

I wonder. I have had Plumbago and Hydrangea in my gardens (in different countries). But are the leaves similar?

1 minute ago, Willie said:

That has very different leaves than ones above.

You didn't answer-what is a type of hydrangea- the second picture or Plumbago 

In my post above, I posted a photo of hydrangea (it's still there in the post) and another of plumbago.  The plumbago photo has disappeared.  Here's another of plumbago.  The flowers are very different from hydrangea and the leaves are nothing like hydrangea--and plumbago is a vine, while hydrangea can grow to be a large bush.

image.thumb.png.8e4ef4bd8bde6d721f2279f639418aa2.png

9 hours ago, bournemouth said:

There is no photo above of plumbago,  which looks nothing like a hydrangea.

Yes, There are photos of Plumbago (Cape leadwort) above in the 2nd post-a link. The flowers do look vaguely similar between the two.

https://www.google.ca/search?newwindow=1&sxsrf=ALeKk00JoSsmr75j5Ljo3sQJW4efq8wC2Q:1589581593246&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=Plumbago+versus+hydrangea&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwihptPx9LbpAhVCgK0KHUzVC4cQ7Al6BAgHEDI&biw=1097&bih=512

Weird (to me) the Plumbago lakeside has small leaves whereas the Plumbago in South Africa (and in the OPs picture) has much larger leaves that are more like those of Hydrangea. 

23 hours ago, bournemouth said:

The plumbago photo doesn't appear in  your first post that  I  can see, but does in  your second post - there is a link on your first post  but it goes nowhere - server problems maybe??

The link broke after I posted the first plumbago photo.  

I notice the Lake Chapala Gardening Handbook for Lake Chapala lists Plumbago auriculata here. But the Plumbago that is quite common Lakeside  is not at all like Plumbago auriculata photos. Is the one Lakeside really Plumbago? There could be an error in that handbook.

When I search Plumbago Auriculata on google images, the pictures I see look like the same Plumbago that I see growing everywhere around here including my yard.  But going back to the OP's original query,  she never mentioned if it were fragrant or not.  I think it looks similar to Jasmine Tobacco.  Some of the pictures on google show Jasmine Tobacco as having large green leaves and almost identical flowers.

10 hours ago, dichosalocura said:

After further research I think I may have finally identified this mysterious plant.  Indeed it is a hydrangea called the Hydrangea Macrophylla Lanarth White.                                                          https://images.app.goo.gl/ydh8KiXGhquLNyfE7

That looks more like the OP but my camera app still says it is Plumbago maybe it is focusing on the flowers and ignoring the leaves.