Chapala.com Webboard

Alcohol Poisonings

From Hector, Chapala Expat Liaison . several days ago the police circulated a prohibition to sell this type of alcohol " Agranel" , Since the 9th there have been 10 deaths in Ajijic and one in Chapala due to ingestion of this alcohol. This is NOT Covid,  Police  and Health Department.are investigating. More at Chapala EXPAT Liaison Facebook

25 minutes ago, artsnob said:

One of the victims was a neighbor, age 32 mother of three children, sad. They need to get it off the streets..

But what really needs to be done is allowing ALL legitimate alcoholic beverages to be available again in the usual stores and the feds lifting the closing of the breweries. Rapido-por favor!

• Like 3

It's the same brand "El Chorrito," same alcohol that has killed at least 30 and hospitalized more than 75 people over the last few weeks, mostly in the southern part of Jalisco. This moonshine is not new, nor is cutting it with other ingredients. The Chapala government has put out warnings, now that it's here in our municipality.

97104111_2621434501429500_4805796880686514176_n.thumb.jpg.ede13212c9066900e65030d812d83153.jpg

2 hours ago, happyjillin said:

But what really needs to be done is allowing ALL legitimate alcoholic beverages to be available again in the usual stores and the feds lifting the closing of the breweries. Rapido-por favor!

There's probably some truth in this but I'll wager they buy this crap and have done so for quite some time because it is dirt cheap.

This definitely seems to support your point:

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/coronavirus/adulterated-liquor-kills-at-least-34-during-mothers-day-festivities/

Ethyl alcohol at this strength and trace impurities acts more like a powerful drug. The two toxic impurities would be Methyl alcohol, a very small amount produced at the beginning of the distilite stream and discarded because it smells and probably tastes nasty. The other one is anti freeze which can fool your taste to be sweeter than it actually is. They must add caramel color to their bottle because the original would be pure clear. In Jocotepec it sells for about $1.50 per liter, in Chapala about double. So what we have here is the naive or addicted heavy drinkers with the equivalent of taking heroin, when what they really wanted is a codeine laced analgesic for pain and inflammation.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      In Sweden home distillation is widespread, and they sell all types of flavorings, including at least 3 types of Tequila. The industry exploded when the Swedish government doubled the price o spirits in a misguided effort to control alcohol abuse.abuse

51 minutes ago, vetteforron said:

In Jocotepec you can buy cane alcohol which they sometimes use at Pajaetes. I have cranked it and never had a problem. Only in the chocolate milk direct from the cow. Which small amount. 

The death drink in question is not ordinary cane alcohol like at parajetes.

And legal liquor is so much more economical here than in Seattle, WA or Vancouver BC. But if I were addicted to it and had to have my Bacardi and it wasn't available because of the corona virus, I do not what I would do.

Probably something stupid..

18 hours ago, sm1mex said:

Open legal alcohol. . Keep people safe. 

The people that buy that stuff don’t buy legal alcohol,  they buy the cheap stuff of the streets which has been readily available for years..  This just happened to be a bad batch...

• Like 3

yes that stuff has been bought and consumed for years.. Someone must have mixed the alcohol used for massages and balm.. with the drinking stuff. WHat first come out of the distillation is toxique then comes the heart and the tail.. The heart is the better alcohol nd the tail the cheper one but the first part is toxique.. They must have screwed up in their bottling process...It s a real trgedy. This moonshine has been sold for many years without any problems so something went wrong..

Is that the same stuff that they used to sell on the streets just outside of Tequila?

"My brother works at the distillery and he gets some real cheap and we pass the savings onto you".