Chapala.com Webboard

Resident or nonResident Canadian

cedros

I have lived on and off in Mexico for 33 years. For many years I was a Resident of Canada then I became a non Resident, then back to Resident of Canada for medical reasons. I think the Mexican medical system is better than the Canadian one in many ways so I am thinking about becoming a non Resident again. How have others dealt with this status? I know some have lived here for years and kept their Resident in Canada status and their medical intact.

• Like 1

Yes the Mexican medical system is superior to what I experienced in Alberta.Have absolutely no reason to become a resident of Canada again after 14 years here and now have Residente Permanente status. Dumped our Alberta Healthcare the minute we left. You can't keep your Canadian Health Care intact, in any event,unless you're a snowbird of sorts, or are "physically" in Canada again for a certain period. I plan on croaking here with my boots on and having my ashes pollute the lake.

pedro kertesz

1 hour ago, happyjillin said:

Yes the Mexican medical system is superior to what I experienced in Alberta.Have absolutely no reason to become a resident of Canada again after 14 years here and now have Residente Permanente status. Dumped our Alberta Healthcare the minute we left. You can't keep your Canadian Health Care intact, in any event,unless you're a snowbird of sorts, or are "physically" in Canada again for a certain period. I plan on croaking here with my boots on and having my ashes pollute the lake.

pedro kertesz

I agree with you, it is exactly what I did, non resident of Canada, permanent here.  I am Canadian in my hearth and love Mexico.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cedros said:

I have lived on and off in Mexico for 33 years. For many years I was a Resident of Canada then I became a non Resident, then back to Resident of Canada for medical reasons. I think the Mexican medical system is better than the Canadian one in many ways so I am thinking about becoming a non Resident again. How have others dealt with this status? I know some have lived here for years and kept their Resident in Canada status and their medical intact.

There are forms you need to complete and requirements you need to meet to be able to declare non-residency. We did it 20 years ago so not up to date on that. But I CAN tell you that unless you spend 180 days a year in Canada you are breaking the law trying to keep medical intact. 

Two friends --- BC and Ontario --- both got "caught" via passport entry info shared with medical system.  One had to pay back benefits received. (Deceased now and can't remember if was before or after "permanente" system)  Other (permanente) is now being chased by provincial medical system involved via collection agency, and the next step could be worse (and for that reason is not leaving Mexico any time soon!)

• Like 3

As a "half Canadian/American" with Canadian relatives who "snowbird" here for years, I understand that in order to maintain your Canadian National Medical Care eligibility you cannot be out of the country for a certain amount of time (I think 6 months) to maintain it. They have strong feelings that they need to return within that limit to maintain this. I, as a Residente Permanente have Seguro Popular (or whatever the new name is) and this is OK for normal healthcare. I also have VA Healthcare in the US for more serious situations. When you talk about "Mexican medical system is superior to what I experienced in Alberta" are you talking about the National Health Care system here or some expensive insurance plan? It is all relevant. 

1 hour ago, gringohombre said:

As a "half Canadian/American" with Canadian relatives who "snowbird" here for years, I understand that in order to maintain your Canadian National Medical Care eligibility you cannot be out of the country for a certain amount of time (I think 6 months) to maintain it. They have strong feelings that they need to return within that limit to maintain this. I, as a Residente Permanente have Seguro Popular (or whatever the new name is) and this is OK for normal healthcare. I also have VA Healthcare in the US for more serious situations. When you talk about "Mexican medical system is superior to what I experienced in Alberta" are you talking about the National Health Care system here or some expensive insurance plan? It is all relevant. 

By system I  meant treatment by doctors specifically, which I pay for out of pocket here as well as anything else medical. The OP is only interested in Canadian/ Mexican matters,not what your experience is re: your US VA or anything else non Canadian or Mexican and residency status.

1 hour ago, happyjillin said:

By system I  meant treatment by doctors specifically, which I pay for out of pocket here as well as anything else medical. The OP is only interested in Canadian/ Mexican matters,not what your experience is re: your US VA or anything else non Canadian or Mexican and residency status.

OK, so you are rich and can pay out of pocket...great. Did I not address the Canadian/Mexican situation in the first part of my post?...JEEEEZ!!!!

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, gringohombre said:

OK, so you are rich and can pay out of pocket...great. Did I not address the Canadian/Mexican situation in the first part of my post?...JEEEEZ!!!!

JEEEZ!!!-as a non Canadian you didn't add anything useful to answer the OP's question. I can pay out of pocket because I did due diligence  before moving here. Nothing to do with being rich. I suspect the OP is not a renter either.The biggest effect  to them is a tax issue as a non resident vs. resident of Canada.

• Like 2

On 5/12/2020 at 3:18 PM, Bandol said:

Taxation status is an important consideration.

Taxation status is irreverent unless you are wealthy.. To most married couples living here I doubt it would make much of a difference unless as I said they were relatively wealthy. It might be beneficial to a single person who makes upwards of $60,000.

On 5/14/2020 at 4:03 PM, TelsZ4 said:

Taxation status is irreverent unless you are wealthy.. To most married couples living here I doubt it would make much of a difference unless as I said they were relatively wealthy. It might be beneficial to a single person who makes upwards of $60,000.

When I swithed to non-resident tax status eight years ago the gross individual income level at which it became beneficial to pay the flat 15% non-resident tax rather than resident rates was about 42,000 Can. I don't know what it woud be today.

SunFan