Chapala.com Webboard

NEED RECO'S FOR ROOF REPAIR

Please your recommendations on best process

to seal masonry roof  cracks

Is use of a 'fabric' referred to as membrane a 'must do' or a best

option?  Is this application a 'fail safe' method against future open cracks

or tearing of the membrane?

Is using sealer as effective a treatment and if so, what brand and how many coats?

Thank you in advance

Masonary roof cracks - depending on how deep the crack is it may require removing the top slurry coat and clay square tiles to see if the crack goes deeper into the actual roof structure.
Membrane is generally used in a traffic area (flat roof) or a low spot.  If your membrane is tearing and your roof has cracks then I would be checking the foundation as your house is shifting and maybe hidden structural damage.
Impermeabilizante is available from Fester, Casther, Comex and likely other brands, comes in differing 'year' guarantees - 3, 5, 7, etc; in white or red; first coat is thinned 1-1 with water, when it dries, an additional two coats of full strength with appropriate drying time in between; the pails have instructions;
Of course you get what you pay for - buy 5 yr and you are likely good for 3 years, etc.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WideSky said:

Masonry roof cracks - depending on how deep the crack is it may require removing the top slurry coat and clay square tiles to see if the crack goes deeper into the actual roof structure.

I'm having to do do that to, one of my casitas right now. The workers arrived at 8 this morning. About 4-5 days of work at a cost of $14,800 for about 64 square meters.

• Like 1

Our method, which worked perfectly:

Sweep and clean the roof thouroughly.

Locate all cracks, and caulk them with latex caulk, forcing it into cracks with a putty knife.

2nd day: Paint cracks with impermialazante and apply membrana, with another coat.

3rd day:  Apply a full coat of impermialazante.  Allow to dry according to instructions, then apply a second undiluted coat.

Since cracks tend to be chronic and tend to move slightly, the flexible caulk is important in this preparation, as is the use of the fiberglass mat as a membrane.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Apachewoman said:

Please your recommendations on best process

to seal masonry roof  cracks

Is use of a 'fabric' referred to as membrane a 'must do' or a best

option?  Is this application a 'fail safe' method against future open cracks

or tearing of the membrane?

Is using sealer as effective a treatment and if so, what brand and how many coats?

Thank you in advance

I assume you are repairing a flat roof.  I put a membrane roof on one store I had.  It was installed using a torch to seal the edges.  One advantage is it is easily repaired.  However if it was me, I would contact 3 different contractors and see how they say, they would fix it.  Most of the measures you are receiving are temporary measures and will have to be redone in a few years.  Sealer to me is not a viable option.  A membrane roof with a slurry coat might be your best answer.

• Like 2

We had a similar situation on our roof here in Chapala.....they were taking off the old membranes and found a crack almost all the way through where someone did not tie an addition to the original building....therefore with the ground movements over the years there was at least a one inch separation!!!  No way to see this until old roof was worked on!  Our contactor made "staples" out of rebar and tied it all back together, then cemented it in before he could do our wonderful torch down roof.

• Like 1

We had our roof done over the past two days.  Our contractor was Juan Gutierrez and we have used him for major and minor jobs at our house.  His prices are very reasonable.  For the new part of our roof which he did using both membrane and impermebilizante, for 64m2, he charged 57 per m2, a total of $3648 pesos.  His phone number is 333-727-0071.

• Like 1

On the Red vs White question:

Red was probably the first color available, and became somewhat 'traditional'. However, white is favored in places where winters are very mild, and there is a need to reflect the summer heat.

Red is also used for the bottom meter of many homes. It protects from the splashed water and dirt from the street, and helps the exterior wall remain intact. 

• Like 2