Chapala.com Webboard

How many restaurants here will be gone forever?

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/coronavirus/coronavirus-has-closed-30000-restaurants-permanently-canirac/

Only 20% of the nation’s 635,788 dining establishments remain open for take-out and delivery, and sales have dropped more than 85%, Fernández said at a virtual Confederation of Industrial Chambers meeting on Thursday. 

Canirac estimates that more than 80% of restaurateurs do not have sufficient liquidity to cover payroll, fixed expenses and taxes, and most of them have been closed with zero revenue since March 23.

It’s an economic blow from which many will not be able to recover, and one that Fernández describes as “brutal.”

Canirac estimates that 98% of restaurants are small or medium-sized, and 48% are family owned and operated. 

The closure of such a significant number of establishments translates to a loss of jobs that would affect more than 300,000 families. A 2018 study found that 2.14 million Mexicans work in the restaurant industry. 

There are half a dozen restaurants here that are serving meals and drinks in their restaurant. They should survive if they don't get shut down

• Sad 1

Respectfully: From what I read, every health expert in almost every country says social-distancing and hand washing are the two most critical things to do to avoid COVD-19.

With that said, I'm wondering why, probably mostly expats) would put themselves and others at risk by going out to a restaurant where distancing is nearly impossible. How do you order w/o getting close? I don't see food being put on an empty table 6 feet away and customers going to get the food.

Just my comment/question and no more.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

Here's how we handle those deliveries.  I might add thus far every delivery person has been wearing a mask.  

Go to the door, standing back wearing mask and gloves.  Delivery person places food on threshold, is given money and tip using one of those shelf grabber tools.  Not even remotely as close as one foot.

Food is removed from bag, then containers sanitized before opening.

Seriously doubt there is much risk here.  Probably more risk going to Walmart.

MC's method is similar to our process of receiving deliveries via Instacart from HEB and Costco, here in The Rio Grande Valley. 

They text as they approach, and pull into the driveway. We tell them where to place the items, but never get anywhere near them. They depart. Payment and tip are all done online. 

With mask and gloves, items are brought inside and washed/sanitized, and the extraneous bags and wrappings are disposed of in the outside trash container.

No contact at all.

One of the local restaurants, El Fogon de Charlotte,  prior to the gov. mandate to close had removed enough tables/chairs to allow a very generous social distancing. They also sanitized the tables before each customer was seated. In addition they  had a hand sanitizer station for patrons to use and they use masks.

Now we just order delivery or pick up but If Charlottte's were offering "dine in" we would probably go at this time.  Granted we are 73 and 70 with no pre-existing conditions. I have to think that if the government deems it safe do go back  in the water in a few weeks, are we really any safer at that point than now?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Islander said:

There are few hands handling your food or product not just delivery people.

Absolutely true.  At some point you just either assess then accept some risk or you just stop living.  We are only ordering from trusted restaurants.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, gringal said:

Re RV's post about the delivery system...

Just curious:  What do we know about the process of the food preparation itself??

We do not order prepared foods, or meals from restaurants; just groceries and supplies from the two places mentioned.  I suppose there might be some risk with fruits, vegetables and even meat, but we do wash the produce, and avoid touching the uncooked meat.  I think it is the best that we can do.

We have also stocked up on basic supplies of rice, beans, pasta, etc., and on some canned hams, canned vegetables, and other items which might become necessary later.

2 hours ago, artsnob said:

Are any restaurants in Ajijic open. I would like to go out for Mother’s Day 

Yes. PM me if you want some names

1 hour ago, gringal said:

Re RV's post about the delivery system...

Just curious:  What do we know about the process of the food preparation itself??

We have been told numerous times by may sources that you can't contact covid through food itself. Hopefully this is correct and won't change. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mostlylost said:

We have been told numerous times by may sources that you can't contact covid through food itself. Hopefully this is correct and won't change. 

I'll be more specific:  The food preparers, handlers and packagers.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, gringal said:

I'll be more specific:  The food preparers, handlers and packagers.

May 5th   Although health officials are still learning about the transmission of the coronavirus, there is no evidence that it can spread from an infected person through food they have handled or prepared, according to Harvard Health. 

• Like 1

We had pizza delivered yesterday evening from M&J's. On time, hot  and delicious. The young man wore face covering for the 15 second exchange. I gave him a big tip assuming business is slow. No worries at all. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, desafinada said:

With regard to food safety on take out or delivery, our opinion is that if we trusted their process before, we trust it now.  If you think someone is mishandling food, why would you ever give them business?

My point (alas) was that there is no good reason to go through those elaborate processes of having food delivered since you have no way to verify what happened before it got to the delivery person.   I'm happy with cooking at home until we can eat out again in restaurants where we already trust their process since we've never been sick after eating there.  I'd just as soon have their staff take care of the cleanup instead of me. 😉

On 5/9/2020 at 10:10 AM, Eric Blair said:

Respectfully: From what I read, every health expert in almost every country says social-distancing and hand washing are the two most critical things to do to avoid COVD-19.

With that said, I'm wondering why, probably mostly expats) would put themselves and others at risk by going out to a restaurant where distancing is nearly impossible. How do you order w/o getting close? I don't see food being put on an empty table 6 feet away and customers going to get the food.

Just my comment/question and no more.

Distancing is very possible in many restaurants. In one I ate at recently the main seating was outside. The nearest table with other clients was about 40 feet away. When the waitress brought our food she was wearing a mask. She could have put our food at the adjacent empty table but we didn't think that was necessary.  Who know what goes on in the kitchen but you usually never do.

• Like 2

A dose of common sense from Sweden:

https://www.vallartadaily.com/swedish-top-epidemiologist-the-coronavirus-spreads-like-a-fire-and-no-matter-what-you-do-everyone-will-get-it/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+VallartaDaily+(Headline+News+from+Puerto+Vallarta)

Sweden governs what its authorities defined as “soft confinement” based, fundamentally, on the trust that exists between the population, and between it and the Government and its institutions. So restrictions are limited: only gatherings of more than 50 people are prohibited, and although universities are closed, kindergartens and children’s schools are not. Restaurants and bars are also not closed, although tables must be at least two meters apart. The same for, hair salons, cinemas, theaters, gyms, and parks remain open....

When it seems that the pandemic curve has stabilized in most countries and the debate has focused on reopening strategies, the model advocated by Giesecke and the Swedish “everyone is going to catch it anyway” has returned to the center of discussions....

When asked why Sweden didn’t take some of the hard approaches as other countries in the world, Giesecke responded, “Because there is no scientific evidence for most of the restrictions that countries are taking. I think it is important for politicians to show strength and action, and I note that this is an important reason for strict quarantines. In Europe it happens that countries follow each other. When country X sees that country Y did something, it says ‘we have to do the same thing, we have to establish that restriction’. There was a race between politicians.”...

According to Giesecke, only 2% of COVID-19 cases are reported because 98% do not seek medical attention in hospitals. Some may be quite ill, according to him. There are patients who are very sick for weeks. But they are not registered by the system because they do not go to the hospital. For this reason, he doesn’t find projections to be useful because the true spread of the virus isn’t known.

Giesecke recommends that young people without any underlying health issues return to work and social life because the so-called herd immunity needs to be generated. And the best way to do this is for young people, under the age of 50 or 60 to mingle, and tell people with large and pre-existing medical conditions to stay indoors. Thus immunity can be obtained fairly quickly.

“The virus is trying to infect the population, that is what the virus wants to do. If enough people are immunized around someone with the virus, then the virus cannot infect. That is one way to explain herd immunity. But let’s say that 70% of a population had the virus, and that it is immunized in some way, that means that there is still 30% that could be infected. That is to say, it is not possible to return to normality completely even having achieved herd immunity. You have to hold the restrictions for some time after that,” he said.