Chapala.com Webboard

Why did you choose to stay here when Covd 19 started looking bad?

Just looking for a conversation.

I stayed because I had read about the 1918 Pandemic some years ago and what was learned from it.

When I read the current virus was not airborne, I figured isolation was best. I also had little to no faith in the U.S. government. So far, I'm happy w/my decision. IMO, Mexico is doing better in containment than the U.S. though I don't always believe what any government says.

I also knew that at worst, I was only a few hours away from top-drawer medical assistance if needed.

I know one lady who said, " I'm not concerned." A month later she was on a fast plane to Canada.

So, how come you stayed?

2 hours ago, Syver117 said:

You must be very lonely Eric.  

Nope, I just think it would be interesting to read the replies.

If anyone doesn't want to respond, that's fine, but let's not start with personal comments. If anyone want's to say something off-topic to me, please PM me  Moderator 2 suggested.

Take care.

I

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

We stayed because the weather is a helluva lot better and it is easier to protect ourselves, walk to what we need to get and enjoy our pool and grounds.  Our doctors here know how to use those medications which has been used  around the world to shorten and lessen this problem.  Our (adopted) daughter's father is in the hospital up north right now with CV and his care is a damned disaster.  She flew out of here today to go there and intervene.

We stayed because this is our home now and whatever happens to us will happen here.  We have excellent doctors and hospitals available to us.  Our medical insurance is here and they notified us early on for us not to worry because they were covering the virus just like they would any other illness with the same deductible.  We have help here if we need it that we could not have in the States.  Our housekeepers have been with us for 15 years and if we needed anything they would be here in a heart beat as we would be for them as well.  Right now they are being paid to stay home because we are able to manage on our own but if one of us had a fall, or some other illness than the virus where we needed help they would be here helping.  We can call our doctors on their cell phones and they answer us themselves.  The weather is much better than anywhere in the States where we have relatives that we might stay with and we have 3 precious dogs that we certainly would not want to leave behind even though the housekeeper takes good care of them when we are gone.  So, all in all we are very happy sheltering in place right here at home.  BTW, so very sorry that there are those on this board that think it is okay to talk about anything they see fit but that no one else can without snarky comments.  I believe they are the ones with time on their hands.  Many of us do have a lot of time on our hands and it is nice to just connect with someone whether or not you know them once in a while.  Thanks for asking.

• Like 5

vetteforron, I hope you stayed because you are needed in the care of the people you have in your facility.  If that is not the case ... need to know as yours is one on our list if we ever need that kind of help.  Would hate to think you have changed from years ago when you helped us when my mom was dying.  I thought immediately that you were joking but then I saw you are also into fast cars?  so, maybe the women and tequila are real now?

• Sad 1

Just now, Wookie said:

vetteforron, I hope you stayed because you are needed in the care of the people you have in your facility.  If that is not the case ... need to know as yours is one on our list if we ever need that kind of help.  Would hate to think you have changed from years ago when you helped us when my mom was dying.  I thought immediately that you were joking but then I saw you are also into fast cars?  so, maybe the women and tequila are real now?

As some people age...they have these fantasies and dreams..dream on Ron

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Wookie said:

It was met as humor nothing more. I guess I have been lock down too long. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, vetteforron said:

It was met as humor nothing more. I guess I have been lock down too long. 

Don't fret Ron, of course we will stay for the same reasons we came, eh?

• Like 1

We live HERE. This is our home. We own it, we have been here permanently for 10+ years, and currently cannot think of anywhere I would rather be. (Other than the big, long vacation I planned/paid for to escape the May heat and had to cancel.) Where would we go ?

We were visiting family when TSHTF in the USA, and all we wanted to do was get back here to Mexico. I just cannot imagine having to be up there all this time in a place not my own and imposing on people. 

We are happy here, have our doggies, all things familiar that we need to make us happy and content and comfortable. As long as we are together, we are fine. We are too old to be out and about that much, as we have no car (by choice), but walk to get everything we need. 

Our day to day life is basically the same as before CV. Changes are in only  personal services- housekeepr, doggy day care, pedicures, massages and an occasional lunch out with girlfriends. I do rely more on shopping delivery services.

• Like 5

We stayed because the US didn't seem to have its act together and we felt we would get better care here. When my doctor comes Lakeside she asks if we want something from Costco. I know that doesn't happen in the US. Also we are from NY and didn't want to take a chance of infecting my Mom who is 101 and my Aunt who is 96 and is immunocompromised since we would have to stay with one of them.

4 hours ago, gogirl said:

We stayed because the US didn't seem to have it's act together and we felt we would get better care here. When my doctor comes Lakeside she asks if we want something from Costco. I know that doesn't happen in the US. Also we are from NY and didn't want to take a chance of infecting my Mom who is 101 and my Aunt who is 96 and is immunocompromised since we would have to stay with one of them.

Two thumbs up to your response and thanks to all that replied.

Yes, a lot of us have mucho time on our hands now and can use some distraction.

Best health to all.

• Like 5

Many have stayed (whom I have spoken to) because they didn't have other options.  It may be less expensive to stay put or... They may not have a second home NOB, nor does family have the room or security (many family member homes have essential workers).  It is weighing in of the risks for many.  Travel means exposure. Family means exposure.   It would literally for some, take extra $$$ to be able to travel, secure a place and remain in the USA while maintaining their home here.

Some feel it is easier to shelter in place here.   

• Sad 1

I'm from Seattle and have a small condo up there. I normally would have already made reservations to fly north about now to escape the heat that we normally have. I'm on hold this year and may head north after things loosen up down here, but not before.

38 minutes ago, MexLuis said:

Many have stayed (whom I have spoken to) because they didn't have other options.  It may be less expensive to stay put or... They may not have a second home NOB, nor does family have the room or security (many family member homes have essential workers).  It is weighing in of the risks for many.  Travel means exposure. Family means exposure.   It would literally for some, take extra $$$ to be able to travel, secure a place and remain in the USA while maintaining their home here.

Some feel it is easier to shelter in place here.   

It almost sounds like you're saying people stay here because they have to, rather than want to. 

Not so in this family's case:  We moved to Mexico sixteen years ago and have been back to the U.S. once, for four days, for a family funeral.  We were happy to get back "home"....which is right here.  It's better on so many levels, from medical care to the general attitude of those who live here.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, gringal said:

It almost sounds like you're saying people stay here because they have to, rather than want to. 

Not so in this family's case:  We moved to Mexico sixteen years ago and have been back to the U.S. once, for four days, for a family funeral.  We were happy to get back "home"....which is right here.  It's better on so many levels, from medical care to the general attitude of those who live here.

Let's put it like this: Some do stay for they don't have options, some don't (stay for that reason), but when a crisis hits that could spell medical, and you have great US health insurance, then being North has benefits. I specifically said "Many" rather than be inclusive of all, siting those I knew personally.