Chapala.com Webboard

Covid crisis famlies in need

As this crisis continues we are seeing and receiving more email etc about poor families and their needs..

I am not sure how best to ensure the needy receive assistance. Is it best to have a Major one fund like a United Way or the numerous individual ones that are growing like mushrooms? The important goal is to ensure that all needs are met

To that point, I would like to raise the issue of what I think are the forgotten  people who will be, or have,  slipped through the net.........people like Raffa who operates the car wash in Reberias and Lalo who has the Coffee Tree in Chapala. 
Lalo business has been disrupted for months first by the highway remodeling and now Covid-19. 
Recently the police came by and closed Raffa
These are entrepreneurs who I suggest live from one month to the next and whilst may not be classified now as poor, will quickly qualify if this Stay at home regulation continues  

And a general observation about the Mexican Family Food Chain. 
Under normal conditions, I would suggest that "no one staves"....... undernourished maybe. 
Under "normal" circumstances there is always someone in the family who has an income or job that can provide for the other members who are not working or sick etc

But sadly this Covid-19 crisis is different and more extensive and likely to affect the "breadwinner(s)" within the family food chain

So I guess I do not have the perfect answers...... except that will all need to be our Brothers Keeper....... and not forget the car wash guy's and small restaurant owners 
  • Like 1

people s basic necessities are more than just food ( cooking gas, rent, water, electricity, medication, clothes, etc....)

I am strongly in favour of a system, where the "haves", for the time of this crisis, financially "adopt" one particular (needy) family.  It would be hard to organize this, but possible and it doesnt have to be a huge amount of money. The needy people would have to be screened first and the givers will immediately see where their money ends up.

One "entity" could organize this.

This crisis ( health/economic ) will be with us for a long time.

A lot of small help organizations distributing food here and there is to be aplauded and certainly is better than nothing, but we need a longer term systematic way of working.  We need structure and a plan.  It would also take away some of the uncertainty, that must be weighing on a lot of people s shoulders.

And dont forget the elderly and sick, who cant work (if there would be a job outthere )

Rony

Rony: One thing that our property manager is doing with her many? clients (I don't know how many) is to have her clients (us) continue to pay our employees even though they are not able to come to work because of the Corona quarantine.

The more of us who do this the fewer those with financial problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, johanson said:

Rony: One thing that our property manager is doing with her many? clients (I don't know how many) is to have her clients (us) continue to pay our employees even though they are not able to come to work because of the Corona quarantine.

that comes down to the same thing.  Only....  a majority of people dont have great ( if any ) employers 

3 minutes ago, johanson said:

We do this as do most people I know - it is is not particularly unique. However, it does not cover the many people who do not have regular employment or employers willing to help out. Rony, I like your idea.

• Thanks 1

We are getting everything possible done now, employing as many as we can with precautions and contributing to food banks such as Hector's.  The answer to the question of why "these people" can't apply to food banks doesn't seem to understand the need is much greater than the supply and these are proud people who want to work, not stand in line for handouts.  

Whatever you've been planning on doing to your house, do it now, with precautions.  Particularly anything on the outside, new roofs, repairs, painting, landscaping.  The person you employ may be supporting an extended family.

I have a superb young guy who does great plastering and good painting plus general repair.  He is motivated and reliable.  PM me if you want his information.  He'll be here another week and then he has several other shorter jobs lined up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Businesses can apply for government assistance. There is a program. The United Way is a terrible example. Their percent of dollar going to the intended is the lowest of charities scanned.

Hector, Chapala EXPAT Liaison has been looking for the overlooked as there are many trying to help. He has begun his second round of dispensas and is questioning the poor on medications they are going without.

9 minutes ago, #HarryB said:

Businesses can apply for government assistance. There is a program. The United Way is a terrible example. Their percent of dollar going to the intended is the lowest of charities scanned.

Hector, Chapala EXPAT Liaison has been looking for the overlooked as there are many trying to help. He has begun his second round of dispensas and is questioning the poor on medications they are going without.

OK sorry for the bad example with UW...maybe a GOFUNDME ............people at Lakeside who have started one of these have achieved remarkable success..

A couple of my Mexican business friends have told me the Gov deal is very complicated and do not wish to get involved...which I think translate into...we have never declared our actual profit and therefore must suffer the consequences!!!!

For a second there I got confused, until I went back a few posts.  You see I went to UW and when up North, my condo is in the same city, Seattle as the University of Washington. "Go Huskies"  (I guess I have never considered United Way as UW   :) 

• Sad 1