Chapala.com Webboard

They built it and now they're coming

32 bikes on the path this evening  between SA and Riberas, most I've seen yet. Lots of walkers ( a lot with dogs ) and runners too. Hope the walkers with dogs pick up the poo.

Yes, that stretch is getting busier but not so west of Ajijic to Jocotepec. I wonder how much it is being used between Riberas and Chapala.  

10 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Well they haven't closed the gap west of Juarez yet.  That could really change things on that side.

Still wondering what the plan is for in front of Toblandia.

entrance to Sams CLub??????? in many areas a Sams club is right near a Walmart....

I live in the center of Ajijic, and I work. So I am contstantly driving and seeing the carretera, at all times of day. The bike path is used by TONS of people, most of whom are workers going to and from jobs. It was used before the improvements, and now it will be even more.

IMO all of the foreigners on this forum who have condemned the project and called it a "bikepath for nobody" are flat clueless, driving occassionally in their cars, and for whatever reason unable to see all the traffic in the bikepath. Go take a look at it during "rush hour".

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

23 hours ago, Travis said:

I live in the center of Ajijic, and I work. So I am contstantly driving and seeing the carretera, at all times of day. The bike path is used by TONS of people, most of whom are workers going to and from jobs. It was used before the improvements, and now it will be even more.

IMO all of the foreigners on this forum who have condemned the project and called it a "bikepath for nobody" are flat clueless, driving occassionally in their cars, and for whatever reason unable to see all the traffic in the bikepath. Go take a look at it during "rush hour".

I happen to live in Lourdes and see what's going on and a lot of "workers" still use the road to and from work and a lot of bikers of all stripes seem to prefer the side walk  here as well instead of the "bike path" portion. Your observation  is clearly not as accurate as a  foreigner who  observes first hand more than someone who only " drives by" constantly,whatever that means.

pedro kertesz

2 hours ago, happyjillin said:

Your observation  is clearly not as accurate as a  foreigner who  observes first hand more than someone who only " drives by" constantly,whatever that means.

pedro kertesz

I don't live directly on the carretera in Chapala like you do. I live one block above the carretera in central Ajijic , and I work in real estate so am crossing and entering/exiting the road daily, frequently.

My observation is perfectly accurate for where I live because I don't live near you. 😀

Sorry for your inconvenience.

I happened by the east end of the bike path (at the fountain in Chapala) late this afternoon and was truly stunned to see eight or nine bicyclists in just the first block of the new path. Two them were headed west and the rest were headed east...rush hour on the bike path. In contrast, street traffic was stunningly light. 

10 hours ago, Travis said:

Trraivs, why don't you count the Bike Path users and count those driving or riding in cars in the regular lane, any day, for any set period of time and give everyone a true sense of the value of the bike path. I hope it carries the same or even more people that the lane of traffic. Then maybe we can get oldies to toss those walkers and canes and buy a bike.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I think there's been more negative commentary on the execution than on the concept.  For a linear developed area like this it has obvious benefits and I think it will be a much greater asset to the local community that relies on bikes and walking to access shopping and jobs.  It most assuredly will no be a bike path for no one.  I'm sorta sorry we got rid of our bikes some years ago because they were just too hard to use.

8 hours ago, alex45920 said:

I happened by the east end of the bike path (at the fountain in Chapala) late this afternoon and was truly stunned to see eight or nine bicyclists in just the first block of the new path. Two them were headed west and the rest were headed east...rush hour on the bike path. In contrast, street traffic was stunningly light. 

And when there wasn't a disruptive bike path at that junction you would have seen just as many bikes on the actual road when it was wider. Street traffic was stunningly light because these geniuses were yet again ripping up their mistakes and drivers realizing this are avoiding that route

25 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

I think folks in Chapala have a very legitimate concern about the execution of this project.  

I anticipate a lot of businesses going under as they need more than walking traffic to survive. And how is the gas truck going to service the north side houses and businesses all the way to Lourdes except for where there is a street opening north for the two corner places. That would be totally impossible in downtown Hidalgo for both sides I suspect.

12 hours ago, Travis said:

It was a good idea to build it-now a few tricky places to finish-west of Juarez and in front of Toblandia. In addition  the section from west Ajijic to Jocotepec. needs quite a bit of improvement. Still many bikers refuse to use the bike path there.

A major complaint about it's construction was the use of concrete barriers rather than  a horizontal metal bars which would be safer and would take up less space. And there is still the problem that now it more difficult for emergency vehicle to get through. They didn't seem to tackle the latter or how to prevent the huge traffic jams of vehicles. I don't think the foreigners are clueless but they may have been looking at the bigger picture. Another major project needed.

1 minute ago, happyjillin said:

I anticipate a lot of businesses going under as they need more than walking traffic to survive. And how is the gas truck going to service the north side houses and businesses all the way to Lourdes except for where there is a street opening north for the two corner places. That would be totally impossible in downtown Hidalgo for both sides I suspect.

Yes, poor planning.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, happyjillin said:

Happyjillin  I am not sure about Chapala...but in Ajijic a number of business have encroached illegally from their lot line...many years back there was a proposal that would have "demolished" the buildings....but for some reason that was put in the pending file...maybe there is a long term planning solution ...but this being Mexico why would the powers that be wish to share that info with us???

• Thanks 1

On 5/6/2020 at 9:49 PM, Travis said:

I am an expat and must say I am impressed, now that they have got major portions through Chapala with trees and street lights.  It looks very nice and is being used by many cyclists.    Can't wait to see the rest once it is finished.  The one thing that disturbs me is all the cars that park on the bike path through the village of Ajijic.  The Chapala Transito could make a fortune here if they gave out tickets.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EldonNova said:

I am an expat and must say I am impressed, now that they have got major portions through Chapala with trees and street lights.  It looks very nice and is being used by many cyclists.    Can't wait to see the rest once it is finished.  The one thing that disturbs me is all the cars that park on the bike path through the village of Ajijic.  The Chapala Transito could make a fortune here if they gave out tickets.

I'm going to install metal spikes on my bike wheels ala roman chariot style, I might accidentally brush against one of those cars..oops