Chapala.com Webboard

Looking for modified assited living for my mother

I am looking for a modified assisted living facility or home in the Lake Chapala area for my mother. She is in the early stages of dementia and needs to live in a place where she can be engaged, social, and of course requires some assistance. I don't feel she able to live safely at home on her own now and she doesn't want to live with me. She is a very physically healthy 69 year old American woman that needs help with medication management, food preparation, laundry and cleaning. She would prefer to be in a place with people close in age to her though I'm not sure how possible that will be in assisted living. She likes Mexico and the facilities here in San Diego, CA are out of her very limited income. Please recommend a facility or care home that might be a good fit. She is still very lucid and fit but with memory challenges.  Thank you. 

My husband moved to a independent living residence, Casa Calms in San Juan Cosala and loved it....he then became more physically challenged and was moved to Ohana owned by the same young couple...totally bi-lingual.  Ohana is a memory care residence but he just could not be alone any more so it was a good fit for him and he like it.  Both on the lake with great views and excellent service. 

He recently passed away and I couldn't have asked for more care and help from Ana and Alonzo!

• Like 3

Please bear in mind that Mexico/Lakeside health care facilities have minimal rules and  regulations and many places are just converted homes with aides and not regular nurses or nurses who graduated 50/60 years ago

Most give good value (compared with NOB cost) for for money and are sincere about wishing to help. Check out Vida Bella in Chapala 376-765-4000 or El Chante Home 387-763-2555

The other important issue , most have very limited English speaking staff, and do not separate the patients requiring different levels of care 

Other posters are sharing some other their experiences...check around which maybe difficult now as all are on lockdown. Good luck it is a difficult choice  many will have to face 

I would like to open this post and ask other members of this community...We mostly discuss about the nursing care around the Lakeside area. Does any one having any experience of care facilities in Guadalajara, I am sure finding a home there with English speaking staff would be problematic..but the cost maybe lower and listed in Pesos and not $USD?

Edited by lakeside7
added El Chante home

Check diferences places,  all regulations, goverment permits, and protecxion civil (bomberos) permit. Here in the lake chapala area you can find many, but only 3 or 5 places have all regulations. 

We like casa anastasia in riveras, the Dr is Dr Garcia, of the new hospital san antonio. 

2 minutes ago, Yo1 said:

Check with Spencer McMullen to find out which are certified by Jalisco state.  A few actually are.

Or go to the goverment palace, and ask to the office Patron y Licencias, and ask of the list of asisting living in lake chapala area. They goint to help you, and you see what are ok working whit the goverment requeriments need a place like asisting living. 

Just now, vista lake said:

Check diferences places,  all regulations, goverment permits, and protecxion civil (bomberos) permit. Here in the lake chapala area you can find many, but only 3 or 5 places have all regulations. 

We like casa anastasia in riveras, the Dr is Dr Garcia, of the new hospital san antonio. 

I am not sure if Dr Garcia has any "interest" than the facility has reached an agreement with him that he is the Dr On Call for emergencies etc and to suggest other wise maybe misleading...or I am wrong?

4Finger...I am sorry I do not understand your question.......My list from Spencer; all certified. Which among us is going to recommend the kind of place you are talking about?

Respectfully I would suggest that my observations cover 95/99% of all the nursing facilities at Lakeside . So if you or other posters are going to recommend a Certified  Lakeside facility ..that is what you are going to find. Would you like for me to check out any facility with you...what is it you find objectionable??? Can you indicate to me where Certification states must have English speaking staff..Maybe I am wrong

One of the reason that cost in Mexico is cheaper than NOB is labor cost...cheap, cheap, cheap, here, where the Maid, Aides etc besides doing their regular chores,  are expected to help the nursing staff and the cook

Hang a couple of emergency signs up , a couple of Fire Extinguishers and you are in business. ( I am being frivolous  there are more requirements) Perhaps Vetteform can jump in and comment

3 hours ago, San Diego Native said:

I am looking for a modified assisted living facility or home in the Lake Chapala area for my mother. She is in the early stages of dementia and needs to live in a place where she can be engaged, social, and of course requires some assistance. I don't feel she able to live safely at home on her own now and she doesn't want to live with me. She is a very physically healthy 69 year old American woman that needs help with medication management, food preparation, laundry and cleaning. She would prefer to be in a place with people close in age to her though I'm not sure how possible that will be in assisted living. She likes Mexico and the facilities here in San Diego, CA are out of her very limited income. Please recommend a facility or care home that might be a good fit. She is still very lucid and fit but with memory challenges.  Thank you. 

If she is coming to live here long term, you may want to first ascertain whether she qualifies for a resident visa; they are based on income (or assets).   

• Like 4

5 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

I am not sure if Dr Garcia has any "interest" than the facility has reached an agreement with him that he is the Dr On Call for emergencies etc and to suggest other wise maybe misleading...or I am wrong?

You're wrong, the Dr Garcia, is the official dr in casa anastasia, you can and ask in the goverment office, about casa anastasia, and you will see hes name, and title in the office. 

Now just to confuse things. Which Dr. Garcia who practices at the Hospital San Antonio. do you mean;  Dr. Carlos Garcia or Dr. Ramon Garcia?

The first one is a GP ( I believe) and the second one a Cardiologist. I have been seen by both at the Hospital San Antonio

3 hours ago, 4fingersfreddy said:

I aplogize: you are the expert. Please contact Spencer and tell him he is all wrong, and that just because a place is certified, it doesn't meet your knowledgable standards.

Forget Spencer , you contact him......and I am not "the expert" but have many years acting as a advocate for patients ...my comment stands , please indicate on the certification about English at Lakeside...Maybe Vetteform as a Nursing Home Owner can jump in and comment  .....Can you indicate to me where Certification states must have English speaking staff..Maybe I am wrong

• Sad 1

53 minutes ago, johanson said:

Now just to confuse things. Which Dr. Garcia who practices at the Hospital San Antonio. do you mean;  Dr. Carlos Garcia or Dr. Ramon Garcia?

The first one is a GP ( I believe) and the second one a Cardiologist. I have been seen by both at the Hospital San Antonio

Dr Carlos Garcia. 

10 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

Forget Spencer , you contact him......and I am not "the expert" but have many years acting as a advocate for patients ...my comment stands , please indicate on the certification about English at Lakeside...Maybe Vetteform as a Nursing Home Owner can jump in and comment  .....Can you indicate to me where Certification states must have English speaking staff..Maybe I am wrong

I have spoken with San Diego, in this case I am not sure our home is the perfect fit for her mother.

We were inspected by the Protection civil only and they wanted extra fire extinguishers and signs where to go if an earth quake bathrooms etc.  Funny I complied and of course signs are all in Spanish. Thanks lakeside7. 

1 hour ago, RVGRINGO said:

Back to the first step:  Can she qualify for a residence visa from your Mexican Consulate? She will have to apply in person.

That is a valid comment.But your thinking is too logical RV and thinking like a NOB. Maybe latter down the road the Mexican ICE police will start raiding the NH's and checking people status and putting them on the next coach back to their country of origin!!!Now that would be great fodder for the tabloid press

What if she applied for a tourist visa and decided to stay over. Also let us assume that she will not apply for IMSS or SP (what ever that is called now) and the family is going to pay for her other medical needs. I have not proof but certain that there are a number of NH here that have that type of patient

I do not think the NH's are required to check your resident status, only that you have a passport

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, San Diego Native said:

Just a thought I wish to share

In November the family of my Canadian friend requiring assisted living (who was in in NH atr Lakeside) decided to repatriate her back to Toronto to a care facility called Durand Retirement Residence. They had a "limited Time Offer"  for $2,190.CAD. Their telephone number 905-525-0338

I thought that was a great price , even more so if you are an American with $usd. I have no idea if this would be a feasible option for you or any other "Foreigner"

P.S I have just spoken with the administrator at Durand and he confirmed that there is no "immigration" status check. However the family would have to have some sort insurance coverage or pay as you go in the event that your relative requires medical aid. Because the Covid-19 they are shut down...... but when you are ready they will be willing to work out a deal!

• 2 weeks later...

You can PM me if you haven't found a place for your mother.  I moved my husband here 13 months ago from a nursing home in Thailand. We're from the US, but had traveled quite a bit before we were in a situation where we needed a nursing home. The problem with Thailand is that it is half way around the world., long flights to get there and 12 hour difference time zone. Great place, Swiss run, but not many English speakers. Brought him here thinking with more English speakers, he'd have a better fit. In a way, that was true. More Americans/Canadians, which was better for him than French/German speakers. PM me and I can give you advice. Since you're close, the best thing might be to make a trip down and meet some of the nursing home owners and staff.  Seeing a place makes all the difference in the world.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1