Chapala.com Webboard

Please support Presidente (Mayor) Moy and our police

Entiendo que usted y la policía están tomando mucho calor político por detener en un punto de control a un hombre sin identificación, que obviamente había estado bebiendo y no era residente de Chapala. Quiero agradecerles a usted y a la policía por hacer su trabajo y protegernos. Hablo por muchos, si no todos, en la comunidad de expatriados. Gracias, Sr. Presidente

Harry Bublin

I understand that you and the police are taking a lot of political heat for arresting an unidentified man, who had obviously been drinking and was not a Chapala resident, at a checkpoint. I want to thank you and the police for doing their job and protecting us. I speak for many, if not all, of the expat community. Thank you, Mr. President

Harry Bublin

On 5/5/2020 at 8:06 AM, #HarryB said:

Entiendo que usted y la policía están tomando mucho calor político por detener en un punto de control a un hombre sin identificación, que obviamente había estado bebiendo y no era residente de Chapala. Quiero agradecerles a usted y a la policía por hacer su trabajo y protegernos. Hablo por muchos, si no todos, en la comunidad de expatriados. Gracias, Sr. Presidente

Harry Bublin

I understand that you and the police are taking a lot of political heat for arresting an unidentified man, who had obviously been drinking and was not a Chapala resident, at a checkpoint. I want to thank you and the police for doing their job and protecting us. I speak for many, if not all, of the expat community. Thank you, Mr. President

Harry Bublin

Get some  facts about this. The police stopped the principal[identified as such] of the high school or college in Chapala from going to his work because he is a resident of Guadaljara and not here. Presidente Moy is doing the right thing. He said a full investigation is underway so that something like this doesn't happen again. The heat is necessary and is largely coming from the Mexican community. You don't speak for me and I hardly think  you speak for "many if not all of the expat community".

• Thanks 2

The local authorities have been using these road blocks far beyond the pandemic. Obviously since he is the Director of the Prepa Chapala (high school) this is probably not the first time he had been questioned from going back and forth. Last weekend I was behind the typical rich tapatios driving their brand new shiny BMW 1250s at a snails pace (grrrr) they were waved right though the checkpoint in la Mojonera, I was riding my dirty 650 and was pulled over and got the 20 questions drill.

Sad to say most of the local law enforcement are not well trained, many of them don't have much of an education then again its not a job a lot of people want.

This is not the first time this has happened, considering the UDG has  lot of pull, I think that the local government will have lots of explaining to do.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

SEGOB couldn't have made it more plain than these actions are a direct violation of the Mexican Constitution.  I would suspect this business of telling liquor stores what they can and cannot sell is also illegal as all get out.  Regarding the latter, it appears in a few cases that some are "overlooked" possibly after the application of appropriate incentives.

• Like 4

The man in question was detained for not following the policeman's directions and exiting his vehicle in an aggressive manor. There has been nothing official about him being drunk. He did state that he was not carrying identification to the officials. The officer in this case is temporarily suspended from duty while the mayor investigates.  You can watch the video of the incident and read the story in the newspaper El Informador. 

https://www.informador.mx/jalisco/Policia-niega-agresion-a-director-de-prepa-de-Chapala-alcalde-anuncia-investigacion-20200505-0010.html

• Like 1

was stopped with a friend from CHiapas when I came back from Chiapas, I did not have an ID showing I lived in Chapala and neither did my friend. I explained my case to the police and we were let in.. The police was friendly and very well mannered..   I have o complain about their behaviour.  If you are agressive chances are that the answer will be agressive as well.

• Like 1

Gosh, I hate this quarantine. Why was the guy going to work? I thought all schools were closed and the staff was asked not to come to the school. I bet as a principal of a school he could have and perhaps should have worked at home via the internet and/or via the phone.

I guess I don't have enough information to be upset or to thank the officers for doing their duty.

• Sad 1

They do not want issues with gringos, so they will let you in.  
the director did tell the policemen he had proof of residence at his house

and to please follow him they did not.   Something fishy to this as the video stops then restarts later

to support the mayor should not have anything to do with this   
we have heard lots in the past about the police force.

2 minutes ago, johanson said:

Gosh, I hate this quarantine. Why was the guy going to work? I thought all schools were closed and the staff was asked not to come to the school. I bet as a principal of a school he could have and perhaps should have worked at home via the internet and/or via the phone.

I guess I don't have enough information to be upset or to thank the officers for doing their duty.

You are right not enough information 

I know that Peddy K is the Oracle of Chapala, but, you should get the facts---like the guy had NO ID, no drivers licence, had obviously been drinking, and that there is a video of his abuse of the police. I would never speak for you, god forbid. I need a shower just thinking about it!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

I am grateful to the men and women who are working tirelessly in an effort to protect all residents, lakeside.  The body camera video does show the man (now identified as the Director of the Preparatory school) as being belligerent and aggressive.  He was given the opportunity several times to turn around and return to GDL or go to jail.  Sadly, he chose jail.  

Surely any work he may have needed to do could have been done remotely.  Most of us are making the necessary adjustments to our work and retirement lives in an effort to avoid this dreadful and potentially deadly virus.  It is people who behave in a careless and inconsiderate manner that are causing the rest of us to extend the quarantine much longer than necessary.

I urge everyone to limit travel to essential activities, take all possible precautions to avoid infection and transmission of the virus and to follow the stay at home orders. Should you need to venture out for essential errands, please take your identification, license and proof of residency to avoid a situation like this.  And although most of us are stressed out, frightened, upset and even angry, we must remember to be polite and cooperative with the essential workers who are trying to keep us safe.

Stay safe and healthy.

Val Jones  :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

34 minutes ago, #HarryB said:

I know that Peddy K is the Oracle of Chapala, but, you should get the facts---like the guy had NO ID, no drivers licence, had obviously been drinking, and that there is a video of his abuse of the police. I would never speak for you, god forbid. I need a shower just thinking about it!

I shall do the wise thing and base my take on this incident, if indeed there is an investigation, that will be reported in the media. While you're having your shower, make sure you wash your tongue harrybub.

pedro kertesz

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Remember when the first calls to "hunker down" were issued? They told us it was to flatten the curve so that hospitals and healthcare workers were not overwhelmed with a huge  surge at once. Nobody was talking about staying isolated for months at a time nor was there much talk about seeing to it that most of us never contract it seeing as how easy it spreads. For us, over 70 and retired it's not a big deal to stay home and still eat and drink pretty well. I can't imagine how I would feel if I still had my small business that helped put everything on the table. The powers that be seem to continually move the goalposts on folks in that situation. Here in the US the curve has flattened and hospitals are not overwhelmed. NYC didn't need the 70,000 ventilators the governor demanded. The people demanding things stay closed all seem to have incomes that keep on coming as opposed to those who need to get back to work. I'm inclined to agree with Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick of Texas who said there are worse things than dying, such as watching your life go to hell because you aren't allowed to take the risk and return to work. Nobody's honest work or profession is "non essential". Governments can't support people for months on end so why don't we let people decide for themselves. You can take a chance, hunker down until they have a cure or a vaccine or do a little of both. Politicians seem power hungry as they lecture the poor unwashed masses while they don't have an economic worry in their heads. Course they worry a lot about being reelected or maybe being chosen as a VP nominee but being able to put themselves in Workingman's shoes is way too trivial for them.

Just my 25 pesos (inflation)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Harry, with respect, I can't support the Governor or the Presidente in this matter.  They have been told unequivocally they are violating peoples' rights under the Mexican Constitution.  They've grossly exceeded their authority by telling stores what liquor they can sell too.

Unfortunately the very weak central government chooses to do nothing about it.  Health check points are one thing, arbitrary turning people back as is being done here is quite something else.  I don't trust the local police to tell the truth either.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

I have a copy of the Mexican Constitution and can't find a word about liquor stores. But, I know our governor and Presidente (mayor) are imposing regulations as seen in New York to protect as many citizens as possible. I respect what Gov Coumo has done for NY and how Jalisco and especially Chapala municipality has been protected. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

Harry, with respect, I can't support the Governor or the Presidente in this matter.  They have been told unequivocally they are violating peoples' rights under the Mexican Constitution.  They've grossly exceeded their authority by telling stores what liquor they can sell too.

Unfortunately the very weak central government chooses to do nothing about it.  Health check points are one thing, arbitrary turning people back as is being done here is quite something else.  I don't trust the local police to tell the truth either.

I totally disagree with what you said completely.  So I can support the Governor or Presidente. 16,000 people are DEAD in NYC.  Don't you think this changes things?   I do.

Yeah wasn't it the governor  who had them put the corona virus patients in the nursing homes?

Got rid of a bunch of old folks that way.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/30/damato-blasts-ny-for-putting-coronavirus-patients-in-nursing-homes/

aghast you do understand it was the Federal government of Mexico that has called attention to this?

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/coronavirus/municipalities-dont-have-authority-to-restrict-access-feds/ 

This ain't NYC, thank heavens.  And that is an argument from false equivalency.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, lcscats said:

I totally disagree with what you said completely.  So I can support the Governor or Presidente. 16,000 people are DEAD in NYC.  Don't you think this changes things?   I do.

They are dead because (1)they had underlying health problems and (2)the NY health care system was also not prepared. Mostly #1, but #2 applies also. You cannot violate peoples rights UNLESS you declare "martial law" which no one has done. (same applies in Mexico) So, they will get their pants sued off very soon. The Constitution is the LAW of the US. You violate it and impinge on peoples rights, you pay the fiddler.

"U.S. Attorney General William Barr made it clear last month that federal prosecutors should "be on the lookout" for overly restrictive state and local shutdown orders that may infringe on people's constitutional rights – especially when it comes to the First Amendment.

"If a state or local ordinance crosses the line from an appropriate exercise of authority to stop the spread of COVID-19 into an overbearing infringement of constitutional and statutory protections, the Department of Justice may have an obligation to address that overreach in federal court," Barr said in an April memo."

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Remember when the first calls to "hunker down" were issued? They told us it was to flatten the curve so that hospitals and healthcare workers were not overwhelmed with a huge  surge at once. Nobody was talking about staying isolated for months at a time nor was there much talk about seeing to it that most of us never contract it seeing as how easy it spreads. For us, over 70 and retired it's not a big deal to stay home and still eat and drink pretty well. I can't imagine how I would feel if I still had my small business that helped put everything on the table. The powers that be seem to continually move the goalposts on folks in that situation. Here in the US the curve has flattened and hospitals are not overwhelmed. NYC didn't need the 70,000 ventilators the governor demanded. The people demanding things stay closed all seem to have incomes that keep on coming as opposed to those who need to get back to work. I'm inclined to agree with Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick of Texas who said there are worse things than dying, such as watching your life go to hell because you aren't allowed to take the risk and return to work. Nobody's honest work or profession is "non essential". Governments can't support people for months on end so why don't we let people decide for themselves. You can take a chance, hunker down until they have a cure or a vaccine or do a little of both. Politicians seem power hungry as they lecture the poor unwashed masses while they don't have an economic worry in their heads. Course they worry a lot about being reelected or maybe being chosen as a VP nominee but being able to put themselves in Workingman's shoes is way too trivial for them.

Just my 25 pesos (inflation)

Agree 100%. Well said.