Chapala.com Webboard

Walmart raises egg prices in a very sneaky way

I went to Walmart yesterday and the only eggs they had available or pre-packaged. That is not what was new, the new thing is that the eggs were small. Compared to a regular sized egg it was a joke. If anybody has ever seen a quail egg, they know what I am talking about. I weigh the eggs and they are all small according to the standardized definition.

Surprisingly, egg size is determined by weight, rather than the dimension of any one egg. ... One dozen extra large eggs must weigh at least 27 ounces, twelve large eggs need to weigh in at 24 ounces, medium eggs must be 21 ounces and small eggs have to weigh 18 ounces.Sep 28, 2017

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I would suspect a lot of us don't care what Walmart or Soriana do or not do regarding eggs because fresh[not warehoused] eggs are readily available all over the place. we have 3 sources from 10 paces to 50 yards distance. Mexico is metric so egg size is determined in grams not ounces,in any event, and your size chart probably doesn't even apply here.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 4fingersfreddy said:

Depends on what's important to you. I go to Wally or Sorry for most groceries; get everything at once. Don't have time/energy for several places just to get eggs here, hamburg there.

So you're working then. In that case you don't have time. Some of us are lucky enough to live within walking distance of the Chapala Mercado and all the shops around it negating the need to shop at wally or sorry except for monthly or big stough one can't carry. As I mentioned,eggs are available to me as close as 10 paces. What's important to me is quality.

In Morelia I normally buy Bachoco large white-shell  eggs at Walmart in the 12 or 18 egg box, today's price is 29 pesos for 12.  Lately I've been impressed by the size: enormous!   And the yolks are deep golden yellow.  

I've also purchased white-shell eggs by the kilo at the municipal market nearest me: small to very small, and more expensive than at Walmart.   Yolks are pale yellow.

I've also purchased organic free-range pinkish-brown-shell eggs by the kilo at the same market: even smaller and even more expensive.  Yolks are even paler yellow.

7 minutes ago, More Liana said:

In Morelia I normally buy Bachoco large white-shell  eggs at Walmart in the 12 or 18 egg box, today's price is 29 pesos for 12.  Lately I've been impressed by the size: enormous!   And the yolks are deep golden yellow.  

I've also purchased white-shell eggs by the kilo at the municipal market nearest me: small to very small, and more expensive than at Walmart.   Yolks are pale yellow.

I've also purchased organic free-range pinkish-brown-shell eggs by the kilo at the same market: even smaller and even more expensive.  Yolks are even paler yellow.

The fresh eggs that we buy here from the little guys. yolks are almost orange not pale.I don't worry about price of eggs or any food makings that we buy.

David, the nearest store to you in the hood, sells fresh eggs by weight. You can bring along recycled paper or plastic protective containers, but you will receive eggs in a clear plastic bag. This is the store across from the Soriana parking lot. There is also a butcher shop there, but if all you need is eggs, fresh vegetables and tienda items, just go to the cashier at the other end to the butcher store.

Hope this helps, your monies will go to the care and upkeep of a very nice local family and those who supply them.

Scientist say there is no difference between a brown egg and a white egg.  Having been raised on a farm, I don't believe them.  In a brown egg, the yolk is more orange and the egg tastes better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1