Chapala.com Webboard

Roadblocks still happening?

Apparently following AMLO's statements that roadblocks like ours during Easter violate the Mexican Constitution, local authorities are only able to stop and screen for obvious signs of virus such as fever.  So, Friday, the Guadalajarans began streaming in to "enjoy" time lakeside.  The residency requirement once in place is no longer permitted for screening purposes.

Sadly, this means longer isolation for those of us are taking this pandemic seriously and I expect we shall see cases of the virus lakeside in the next 2 weeks.  :(

Hoping residents will take all precautions possible to avoid this deadly virus.  Stay safe and healthy.

Salud,

Val

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, thevalerieleigh said:

Sadly, this means longer isolation for those of us are taking this pandemic seriously and I expect we shall see cases of the virus lakeside in the next 2 weeks.  :(

Val

I suspect the way things will unfold world-wide is that the C-19 will continue to infect populations over many many months until a) an effective vaccine is available worldwide or b) a herd immunity is achieved with 60 to 90% of the poputation having been infected.

The precaustions merely flatten the curve to better enable the health system to cope (or not).

SunFan

3 minutes ago, SunFan said:

I suspect the way things will unfold world-wide is that the C-19 will continue to infect populations over many many months until a) an effective vaccine is available worldwide or b) a herd immunity is achieved with 60 to 90% of the poputation having been infected.

The precaustions merely flatten the curve to better enable the health system to cope (or not).

SunFan

you need to read this article about what 'herd immunity' really means; you kinda missed it. https://www.sciencealert.com/why-herd-immunity-will-not-save-us-from-the-covid-19-pandemic

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Tapatios near us are homeowners and there are plenty here this week (holiday weekend) with their ATV's and "dune buggies" zipping around.  Restaurants, shops, bars are closed in GDL, too--they probably wanted a change of scenery, different foods to-go.  Some in these extended families probably live in apartments in GDL, but have access to larger homes here owned by other family members.  We have also hearing cohetes for the first time in several weeks.  

6 minutes ago, WideSky said:

you need to read this article about what 'herd immunity' really means; you kinda missed it. https://www.sciencealert.com/why-herd-immunity-will-not-save-us-from-the-covid-19-pandemic

What did I miss? I was merely suggesting that without a vaccine the precautions in place would still allow the virus to eventually reach a herd immunity level. 

SunFan

Just now, SunFan said:

What did I miss? I was merely suggesting that without a vaccine the precautions in place would still allow the virus to eventually reach a herd immunity level. 

SunFan

There has been no scientific basis to date to assume that there can be herd immunity to this virus without a vaccine.

• Like 1

My point is that there will be no rapid end to the pandemic even with precautions still in place. A large majority of the population will become intected unless a vaccine is quickly available worldwide which is unlikely.

SunFan

29 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

There has been no scientific basis to date to assume that there can be herd immunity to this virus without a vaccine.

Vaccines work the same way herd immunity does.  They stimulate the disease in a very mild form and cause the body to make antibodies just as the real thing would.  So if getting the disease doesn't result in antibodies and immune resistance for most people neither will a vaccine and we are all screwed.

Your statement should be amended to say there is no scientific consensus on this but a lot of work going on right now.  This CV is a version of a family of viruses related to flu and other viral diseases which are known to confer immunity either by illness and recovery or by vaccine.  There is no scientific basis as of yet to conclude this one will be any different.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thevalerieleigh said:

Apparently following AMLO's statements that roadblocks like ours during Easter violate the Mexican Constitution, local authorities are only able to stop and screen for obvious signs of virus such as fever.  So, Friday, the Guadalajarans began streaming in to "enjoy" time lakeside.  

Salud,

Val

That is a very misleading bordering on scaremongering statement,  

Had lunch Saturday around 2pm at a restaurant across from the traffic lights in La Floresta, the traffic was very light, same today Sunday,  Hardly supports you’re claim the  “Guadalajarans are streaming in to “enjoy” time Lakeside.
On any given weekend in the condo complex where I live pre Covid19 there would around 10 families along with friends  from Guadalajara down for the weekend, this weekend not one showed up...

3 hours ago, thevalerieleigh said:

Apparently following AMLO's statements that roadblocks like ours during Easter violate the Mexican Constitution, local authorities are only able to stop and screen for obvious signs of virus such as fever.  So, Friday, the Guadalajarans began streaming in to "enjoy" time lakeside.  The residency requirement once in place is no longer permitted for screening purposes.

Hoping residents will take all precautions possible to avoid this deadly virus.  Stay safe and healthy.

Salud,

Val

The sanitary checkpoints are on every highway leading out of GDL including the hwy to Chapala and east to Ocotlan-DF. The Chapala entrances are apart from those. Unfortunatly they open at 9am and close early so those in the know can get here. The sanitary checkpoint on the hwy north from GDL yesterday had a 3+ hour wait to pass.

TelsZ4, my comment was made based on several observations.  I saw a photo and read an article stating the backup on the GDL-Chapala Hwy. near Chapala Haciendas had a line running approximately 2 kilometers in length.  The article (dated May 2nd) went on to say 7,023 people in 2.621 vehicles were analyzed with none exhibiting symptoms of respiratory disease.  This number includes vehicles entering Chapala, Vallarta, & Manzanillo.  This Jalisco state statistic gives me/us an idea of the numbers of vehicles moving from point A to point B in search of some form of vacation/recreation.  As this is Labor Day-3 day weekend, it's safe to assume larger numbers of cars entering lakeside are seeking some form of entertainment away from their residence.  While many businesses are closed, the lakefront, some hotels and Air BnB homes/condominiums are very much open for business.  A friend was lamenting the loud party just below him in one of the fraccionamiento's located off the periferico.  Seems the large number of guests arrived Friday and there's been non-stop loud music into the wee hours throughout the weekend.  He's called to report it, but nothing has been done.

Today I saw and heard a helicopter blasting a message in Spanish telling people to shelter inside, wear face-masks, etc. and we haven't had that until now.  Last night, the police truck(s) were going through upper Ajijic blasting the same type of message in Spanish and English.  We have had that the last couple of weeks.

Cohetes have returned and we haven't had that the last month or so as well.  When I drove to Bruno's about 5 pm yesterday (Saturday), there was considerably more traffic on the Carretera than when I went to buy produce on Tuesday.

Mostlylost's comment about the sanitary checkpoint on the Highway from GDL yesterday (Saturday) with a 3+ hour wait also lends credibility to my assertion that cars and people are streaming into lakeside in search of fresher air, visiting the lake and holiday revelry.

Clearly none of us have any control over the actions of individuals who feel their desire to recreate lakeside is more important than our municipality's desire to reduce our exposure to the virus.  All we can do to reduce exposure is take precautions and continue to self-quarantine until there is a viable treatment for this dreadful and potentially deadly disease.

Stay safe and healthy!

Salud,

Val Jones  :)

• Like 2

I went to El Toritos Grocery store this morning at 10:30. I was happily shocked to see how few cars were on the streets or people walking the streets. It was as if finally the folks were following the quarantine rules for the first time :)  Oh and most everyone was wearing a mask on the streets, and everyone who was allowed in El Toritos had to wear a mask if they wanted to enter the store.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lakeside7 said:

Reason maybe, but justified???

May 3, Dia de la Cruz, is also the patron saint day of the abinilies or construction workers.  The tradition is that construction workers stop work early and have a big party at their construction site, build a festooned cross on the roof of the building and offer up gifts of cold beer, and food that is paid for by the owner of the site.  They have a friendly contest to see who can shoot of the longest and loudest cohetes.  this has nothing to do with Tapatios!  On a Sunday, during a pandemic shut down, the celebration has been quite subdued even for a usually big holiday weekend.

The other part of Dia de la Cruz is an old pre-hispanic tradition of people building altars with lots of colorful decorations outside their houses.  They put out supplies of fruits, other food, and/or staple items that other people can come by to pick up as long as they also put food out at their house.  It's a way of sharing and binding community.  The public part of this tradition was stopped this year because of CV.

I hope we do not see hoards of folks from GDL, which has a lot of cases of CV, but, for the population, not bad numbers in Mexico.  Yucatan, with a much smaller population, has almost the same numbers for cases and deaths as Jalisco with 2 major metropolitan areas.  Kudos to Alfaro and Moy Anaya for keeping us safe here, hope AMLO doesn't mess it up by having too many people come back to work and church too soon (sound familiar?)  That could severely backfire.  This situation could linger for a while.

HPIM5785.JPG

DSCN3296.JPG

• Thanks 4

10 hours ago, ezpz said:

The other part of Dia de la Cruz is an old pre-hispanic tradition of people building altars with lots of colorful decorations outside their houses.  They put out supplies of fruits, other food, and/or staple items that other people can come by to pick up as long as they also put food out at their house.  It's a way of sharing and binding community.  The public part of this tradition was stopped this year because of CV.

It's traditions like this that attracted me to this beautiful county.  May this virus pass so traditions such as this can live on.  

Thank you ezpz for sharing the info and the photos.  🌞

• Like 2