Chapala.com Webboard

San Antonio water problems.....Important

It has been reported that a pump/well failed and a good portion of SAT is without water or very low pressure.   We have not had water for a day or so.  It could be a while before the pump is fixed.  Suggest you look at your underground and roof tanks and conserve water if you are not getting water. This info is from a contractor working in our neighborhood who went to the water company and talked to them.  List is getting long for water trucks.  Signups at water company.

Best not to wait til your are totally out of water.  Also I am not sure of how widespread situation is. Please post if you know more than me.

Back in the late 1980s when the Aljibas were built for my home, it was not uncommon for water outages to last a week or more at a time,  in upper Ajijic. So the previous owners built an Aljiba that is so big that he would have at least three weeks of water on hand should there be a water outage. In fact in the 1980's there wasn't sufficient water pressure from Simapa (the water company) to pump water all the way up the street of Juarez in West Ajijic to my home. And one had to have an extra aljiba one block down the street where I own a 2 by 3 meter piece of property where I have a small Aljiba that Simapa can reach. I have a separate electric meter at this separate piece of property to pay for the electricity my pump needs to pump up the water from this piece of property up to my home one block further up the hill. The average electrical charge for this added electric meter is about $180 pesos every two months.

So I am prepared for short water outages of up to three weeks but not any longer :) 

Water came back sunday night.  It is normally slow going for the water this time of the year.  Only my underground tanks are filling but hey it is full in the morning.  We are at the end of the pipe so we only have water from 2am or so til 9am but it is up again!

1 hour ago, luvsdawgs said:

I was told by a resident that the town is sending Pipas to people who are out of water.

If SIMAPA is unable to deliver water to your house they have the legal obligation to send a water truck (pipa). The problem is the wait because of the number of houses affected. Usually easier to get a group of neighbors to share the cost of a delivery. 

It is pretty sad that nobody notified the community of the problem. There are people totally unaware of the problem and the need to conserve water, just washing cars, sidewalks, etc. I understand parts of Riberas is only receiving water in the early morning. In the meantime all types of new construction, including the large ones such as the one by the Coke place, continue to be approved.

• 2 months later...

Has this problem been resolved? I have been without water every Thursday afternoon/Friday noon for the past four weeks (June 18 - July 9), and my landlord told me it was due to a dry-well in SAT (and he is also having problems at his residence in Ajijic.) This doesn't even make sense to me, especially as 6 out of 7 other tenants in my little complex have not had any problems.

July 3

With the intention of financing the drilling and equipment of three wells to supply the demand in the municipality, the Municipal System of Potable Water and Sewerage (SIMAPA) of Chapala, seeks to contract a debt of up to 10 million pesos with the National Bank of Public Works and Services (BANOBRAS).

If the loan is completed, the wells would be one in Ajijic, another in San Antonio Tlayacapan and in the municipal seat, in the “El Tecolote” neighborhood. With the drilling of the latter, the neighborhoods of “Plaza de Toros”, “La Cascada”, “Article 27”, “Puerta del furnace”, “Santa María”, and the educational facilities located in the Libramiento Chapala-Ajijic will be supplied . 

Currently, there is a shortage to the west of Ajijic and in San Antonio Tlayacapan, since the supply of the well dropped to six liters per second, insufficient for the town.