Chapala.com Webboard

Casa de la Flores

Half way through the second season and enjoying it a lot.  Very off-the-wall as only a telenovela with tongue firmly planted in cheek can do.  Big hit in Mexico and for Netflix.  Have friends in the US that are watching and they love it, too (even with subtitles ☺️).  I have read that Veronica Castro, who played the mother did not return because she only wanted to do 1 season - it was written in her contract when she first signed.  Very progressive in its attitude and approach to sexual mores, homosexuality, and transgendered folk, so not for everyone.  But worth a look.  The actors are all beautiful, the comedy can verge on the slapstick, and great production values.   I was also very happy to find a series to help with my Spanish that is set in Mexico and does not involve cartels and narco wars! 

This is not a huge spoiler, but the Veronica Castro character makes a reappearance in the third year series. It is supposed to be 40 years in the past. I don' t know if was intentional but the actress who played her was more homely and plain in appearance. The telenovela is huge in Mexico, for many years they were Latin America leaders in content and technique.  The Mexicans invented delivering actor lines by headpieces, often a lag, and a genuine shock if a character dies or disappears! Veronica Castro was/is a queen in this realm, and it is definitely a satire of typical telenovela plots. Even the nice and then evil twin scenario. Although in this show it is a transexual lawyer and their sister, defending his ex wife, and father of his son, against a prison sentence for pimping. Yes, it really is that type of show!

3 hours ago, donenrique said:

Very progressive in its attitude and approach to sexual mores, homosexuality, and transgendered folk, so not for everyone.

I've noticed that Mexicans in general are pretty accepting of gays, lesbians, and transgender. Not everyone, for sure, but most seem to consider it no big deal.