Chapala.com Webboard

Schedule for Power Outages, San Antonio?

I'm having a terrible time with CFE cutting power to the house this past week. Last Tuesday's shutdown was over 24 hours and a few days later 8+. Yesterday I had nothing from 10 in the morning until 7:30 at night. I have a fridge/freezer full of groceries - more than normal in order to stay safe at home, and I'm afraid of losing the food with these extended outages. Not to mention that it's getting to be too much, being stuck here when I can't cook, can't clean, can't work and have no TV, radio, computer, phone or even fans to keep from suffocating! Why are they doing this now - with the quarantine and during the longest, hottest dry season I've seen in the 20 years I've lived here?

Is there a site where CFE posts these shutdowns so at least we can know in advance? I can't even get my car out in an emergency if there's no power, because the gate is electric! 

• Like 1

In the summer of 2018, they were doing this in Riberas as they replaced poles. It was painful then so I understand your frustration. I believe that those who are registered with CFE contigo are receiving the notifications via e-mail. During the time in Riberas, ComputerGuy was taking screenshots and posting them on here. They detailed which blocks would be affected and during which days and hours. It wasn't perfect but it was at least a heads up. So, is there anyone on here registered with CFE contigo who can do the same for the residents of San Antonio?

If it's any consolation, the pain is worth it... haven't had an outage since. And they are doing it now before the rainy season... because Mexican CFE workers never work in the rain or at night. Go figure.

25 minutes ago, Ferret said:

In the summer of 2018, they were doing this in Riberas as they replaced poles. It was painful then so I understand your frustration. I believe that those who are registered with CFE contigo are receiving the notifications via e-mail. During the time in Riberas, ComputerGuy was taking screenshots and posting them on here. They detailed which blocks would be affected and during which days and hours. It wasn't perfect but it was at least a heads up. So, is there anyone on here registered with CFE contigo who can do the same for the residents of San Antonio?

If it's any consolation, the pain is worth it... haven't had an outage since. And they are doing it now before the rainy season... because Mexican CFE workers never work in the rain or at night. Go figure.

They worked at night mainly[all night] here on Hidalgo when they changed all the polls a while ago.

I must live in the same area as the OP since have experienced the same outages. They seem to be replacing all the concrete poles (with metal rebar inside) with other concrete poles. Not going to comment on the reasons but it is what it is. I do get a couple of days notice by email so can be prepared. So far food seems to be OK since power is returned at sundown. Why not use this seemingly expensive project budget to create underground utilities? Oh well, all else is good here...rainy season soon under way and no coronavirus!!!

If you can register with CFE contigo they are sending out notices beforehand for service interruptions. Not always 100% accurate but very helpful to have a heads up.  We can relate to the OP, while we appreciate the upgrades, no electricity for 15 hours can be taxing during lockdown.  And hot.  3pm seems to be the witching hour when the house feels very warm without fans running.  A good time for a cold beverage or to take a swim if you have a pool.  

• Like 1

To answer the comment about underground CFE wiring.  In Las Salvias we had underground wiring under the public streets. CFE told us they don't support underground wiring and after the underground wiring failed they made us pay to put overhead wiring in. So maybe wishing for underground wiring not such a good idea. The house is still on temporary wiring as they put in the new poles but have not wired up the neighborhood with the final solution.

The long outage in SAT a week ago was due to a hardware failure. It was suppose to be back up 7 to 8 pm like yesterday.

You can sign up for shutdown news on the CFE website and they will send you an email.  All you need is one person in the hood do it and have that person tell others.