Chapala.com Webboard

Get outside..often

10 hours ago, mod-3 said:

I assume that you are aware that antioxidants function by capturing free radicals which can over time prevent slow damage to some cells. The NIH has stated there is no evidence that antioxidants prevent disease. Pauling arguments that vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant, could prevent or limit the duration of colds, a virus, was debunked many years ago.

For your information I have a PhD in organic chemistry and spent an additional 2 years beyond that as a postdoctoral researcher. I allowed your post to remain so that I could suggest to people that they not seek or accept advise from unqualified individuals. By suggesting to people that they take supplements rather than seeks medical advice makes you a dangerous fool. 

Go back to school Doc. This is 2020. Some antioxidants help prevent illness and disease. Regular doctors are not schooled in using anything but FDA approved drugs. But look what is happening today in this crisis. They are throwing everything at the wall to see what will stick. Radical for the medical community to be using 10 if not hundreds of off label therapies on covid patients and the FDA has given them all the green light. When it comes to antioxidants I have a doc that prescribes one to my wife/ It works. And his comment was you got lucky. The supplements on the market are SAFE. You are a researcher. Do your research. Things change fast now a days. My post was about taking a proactive stance against this virus. I see ambulances going by my house like crazy all day. 40 covid dead at the hospital a mile and half away.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

one of the qualities of Vit C is that it strengthens cell walls. Virus need to use the reproductive apparatus of the cell to replicate so if the cell walls are tight it can't get in. the FDA and the CDC were bought off years ago by big pharma so we all have to bring our own expertise to the problems today. by suggesting that people shouldn't take preventive measures and only entrust themselves to the medical establishment makes you a dangerous fool. the germs are around us all the time, its our immune system that keeps us well. sunlight, clean air, exercise, less stress, good food and supplements if we need them are necessary for good health. as a society we have turned to little sunlight, polluted air, little exercise, constant stress, GMO and microwaved foods and pharmaceuticals that mask symptoms instead of addressing deficiencies. we all have to wake up and take back our individual responsibility for our own bodies. and by the way, Linus Paulings work was not debunked, it is more valid today than at any time before.

• Like 1

"This is FALSE. There is no evidence proving sunlight kills the coronavirus. Only highly concentrated UV rays are reported to kill viruses, and the World Health Organization advises against using UV rays because they can damage skin."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/03/30/fact-check-sunlight-does-not-kill-new-coronavirus/2931170001/

• Thanks 2

Ferret,

I am not trying to defend a position here just attempting to protect those who seek information on this board from misinformation. The OP suggested antioxidants as a way to help prevent and treat  COVID-19. It is not. As you usually are, you are correct in your assertion that most people are deficient in Mg and D3. Neither are antioxidants. Additionally, research suggests that dietary supplements are no substitute for a healthy diet. As a moderator I hope I hope I have made my point and it would be inappropriate for me to comment further.

I would would rather go here https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/home/about/ Than the NIH for updated studies and info. Have fun.

Ferret,

I am not trying to defend a position here just attempting to protect those who seek information on this board from misinformation. The OP suggested antioxidants as a way to help prevent and treat  COVID-19. It is not. As you usually are, you are correct in your assertion that most people are deficient in Mg and D3. Neither are antioxidants. Additionally, research suggests that dietary supplements are no substitute for a healthy diet. As a moderator I hope I hope I have made my point and it would be inappropriate for me to comment further.

I would would rather go here https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/home/about/ Than the NIH for updated studies and info. Have fun.

Yes Mg is an eloctrolyte like potassium which is what I need for a certain condition I have that involves leg cramps that diet alone[bananas] are no longer sufficient . I use a 625ml daily. The brand available everywhere here is Electrolit and is what competitive runners use. It is available in various flavours.

2 hours ago, crynoutloud said:

I believe that the above referenced agencies in the link you posted all fall under the NIH umbrella.

You seem to be a very combative individual.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, happyjillin said:

Yes Mg is an eloctrolyte like potassium which is what I need for a certain condition I have that involves leg cramps that diet alone[bananas] are no longer sufficient . I use a 625ml daily. The brand available everywhere here is Electrolit and is what competitive runners use. It is available in various flavours.

If your Doctor told you to take Electrolit, then keep taking it. However, it contains other things besides Magnesium and those things are probably not needed in a person who is not dehydrated. https://www.superama.com.mx/catalogo/d-farmacia/f-estomacales/l-sueros/suero-rehidratante-electrolit-sabor-manzana-625-ml/0750112510434

Magnesium is taken as a supplement when it is low but all the other electrolytes are in balance. Many different kinds of magnesium are available and everyone reacts to the different kinds depending on their needs and wanted end results.

https://www.stopneckpainnaturally.com/magnesium-the-miracle-mineral-that-stops-pain-including-chronic-neck-pain/

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Magnesium-HealthProfessional/

32 minutes ago, JRPJR said:

I believe that the above referenced agencies in the link you posted all fall under the NIH umbrella.

You seem to be a very combative individual.

I got defensive when I was criticized for responding to a -post and suggesting that some people may want to start thinking about ways they can be pro active in fighting this virus that has the potential sweep through Lake Chapala like a wildfire killing hundred if not thousands. 

I'm sure somebody will want to nit pick about where i got that Idea or how that can possibly happen. Let's talk about it.

But gringohombre, you just contradicted yourself. You just directly said you know something when you shared the above post with us When you said that Nobody knows nuthin!!! You just said that you know  something

And know we both know that you know how  you spell nuthin'!!!!  So that is two things you know

So you were wrong when you posted that nobody knows nuthin!!!  :) 

You showed that you know somethin

EDIT:  I just read what I posted. I think this quarantine is beginning to impact what I post,

14 minutes ago, johanson said:

But gringohombre, you just contradicted yourself. You just directly said you know something when you shared the above post with us When you said that Nobody knows nuthin!!! You just said that you know  something

And know we both know that you know how  you spell nuthin'!!!!  So that is two things you know

EDIT:  I just read what I posted. I think this quarantine is beginning to impact what I post,

Nope! If he said "Nobody knows nuthin", it means "nobody knows something.Nobody being everybody. that double negative cancels out "nuthin".

59 minutes ago, johanson said:

Please...how dare you all question one of the worlds greatest philosophers and linguists...YOGI BERRA!!!! 

• Haha 2