Chapala.com Webboard

Canadian Driving a Mexican Plated vehicle into Canada

TelsZ4

This maybe of interest if anyone is thinking of driving to Canada. 

I have just spoken with the Canadian Border Services people to enquire about driving my Mexican plated vehicle into Canada. This was their answer..  Due to the Covid19 situation a Canadian citizen can drive their foreign plated vehicle into Canada. At the border they will be issued an E-29-B permit which will be good for 60 days, after 60 days they would have to remove the vehicle from Canada, but if the Covid19 situation is extended they can renew the permit.  There is no cost for this permit.

Of course you would need to obtain insurance valid in the US and Canada.

I forgot to say that once you have reached you’re destination in Canada you cannot drive the vehicle, basically when you get home you have to park it until it’s time to leave..

47 minutes ago, TelsZ4 said:

This maybe of interest if anyone is thinking of driving to Canada. 

I have just spoken with the Canadian Border Services people to enquire about driving my Mexican plated vehicle into Canada. This was their answer..  Due to the Covid19 situation a Canadian citizen can drive their foreign plated vehicle into Canada. At the border they will be issued an E-29-B permit which will be good for 60 days, after 60 days they would have to remove the vehicle from Canada, but if the Covid19 situation is extended they can renew the permit.  There is no cost for this permit.

Of course you would need to obtain insurance valid in the US and Canada.

Gracias for putting a BS post about this topic in another thread to rest. Ain't the truth grand-eh!

pedro kertesz

TelsZ I understand how the Border service agency works. But I was wondering whether the license plate rules would also vary by province.

I know, for Example that it is legal to smoke Pot in BC and in WA State, but the US federal Agency at US border would find it illegal.

And in WA state, I am allowed to keep my Mexican plated car in that state for only so many days without importing and changing plates. In the past and perhaps still today different states have different rules about how long and under what conditions you can keep your foreign plated car in that state without needing to import it or whatever, at least that was the case. Now I keep one dented Honda CRV here in Ajijic with Jalisco plates and another Honda up in Seattle with WA plates.

And I thought that it was that way in Canada too. At least that is what someone  told me maybe 7 years ago.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, johanson said:

TelsZ I understand how the Border service agency works. But I was wondering whether the license plate rules would also vary by province.

I know, for Example that it is legal to smoke Pot in BC and in WA State, but the US federal Agency at US border would find it illegal.

And in WA state, I am allowed to keep my Mexican plated car in that state for only so many days, and that those days are different in different states, at least that was the case. Now I keep one dented Honda CRV here in Ajijic with Jalisco plates and another Honda up in Seattle with WA plates.

You are quite right. Different provinces have different rules for driving a Mexican plated vehicle into Canada. Maybe one day Nafta will sort it all out.  I have a Mexican plated vehicle that I can drive across the US to the Canadian border and in British Columbia I have a BC plated vehicle that I can drive in the US only as far south as the Mexican border.   

I’m not sure  any of you understand the OP.. from talking to the CBSA today it is my understanding that the rules have been relaxed for the duration of Covid19.. I maybe wrong about that.  They told me I could enter at any border crossing.. I took that to mean any province. And that my 60 day permit could be extended if the Covid19 situation is extended,   I asked even if Covid19 isn’t extended can I get an extension on my permit (E-29-B) they said no. Any vehicle can be driven in they do not have to meet any safety or emissions standards.   And as I said in my original post, you cannot drive the vehicle once you get it to you’re home address...

20 minutes ago, WideSky said:

In some provinces, ie. Saskatchewan and BC, insurance is tied to registration; so you may be able to get over the border but, depending on the province, you would be unable to obtain valid insurance.   Just something to be aware of.

What a load of garbage...And totally irrelevant.. 

You can never get Canadian private or provincial insurance on a vehicle that’s not registered in Canada. Before leaving Mexico you would arrange with you’re insurance company here to add coverage for the vehicle while in the US and Canada..

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, conejorapido said:

You are correct and I notice that the OP has not responded to this.

18 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

I am a Canadian citizen and resident.

The CANADIAN Border Service Agency is federal so it is applicable to all provinces.

18 hours ago, cedros said:

You are quite right. Different provinces have different rules for driving a Mexican plated vehicle into Canada. Maybe one day Nafta will sort it all out.  I have a Mexican plated vehicle that I can drive across the US to the Canadian border and in British Columbia I have a BC plated vehicle that I can drive in the US only as far south as the Mexican border.   

Whether you enter Canada in Nova Scotia or BC and in  between you are entering under Canadian Federal Rules, rules that a Province cannot change. Provincial law deals mostly with moving from Province to Province.

Whether you are a Canadian Citizen or Canadian Landed Immigrant does not matter. It is your Tax Residency that matters.

For the non resident, Insurance is available. Mexican Insurance usually only covers you for about a month and I would not like to try to make a claim on a Mexican carrier.

Before spouting off about what can and cannot be done refer to Mr Google. You will be surprised what he knows.

https://www.ratelab.ca/non-canadian-residents/

US residents temporarily in Canada may operate their US registered vehicle while they are in Canada without issue for up to 12 months provided they have adequate third party liability coverage.

Something similar probably exists for Mexican Vehicles taking into account the new NAFTA. I know that Mexican vehicles can be driven in the USA for up to 12 months.

18 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

What a load of garbage...And totally irrelevant.. 

You can never get Canadian private or provincial insurance on a vehicle that’s not registered in Canada. Before leaving Mexico you would arrange with you’re insurance company here to add coverage for the vehicle while in the US and Canada..

Exactly. Canadian vehicle registration and insurance have nothing whatsoever to do with a vehicle that has out-of-country plates.

5 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

Exactly. Canadian vehicle registration and insurance have nothing whatsoever to do with a vehicle that has out-of-country plates.

You are correct, nothing at all to do with the original post.. I never understand why people feel the need to make such irrelevant posts.  Maybe they are bored with this social isolation and feel a need to express themselves. 

2 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

You are correct, nothing at all to do with the original post.. I never understand why people feel the need to make such irrelevant posts.  Maybe they are bored with this social isolation and feel a need to express themselves. 

I think they simply don't bother to actually read and comprehend.