Chapala.com Webboard

Propane price

Kyle

MC's comment raised an interesting subject.....are prices generally higher in the Chapala to Joco corridor?

Assume there are 150,000 residents around the whole lake. Foreigners make up 10 to 15,000 of those, being generous. Less than 10% of the population.

I can see prices being higher for gringo-focused services and products like restaurant meals in Ajijic or specialty NOB food items, but what about everything else - clothing, transportation, groceries, fuel?

Thoughts?

SunFan

3 hours ago, SunFan said:

MC's comment raised an interesting subject.....are prices generally higher in the Chapala to Joco corridor?

Assume there are 150,000 residents around the whole lake. Foreigners make up 10 to 15,000 of those, being generous. Less than 10% of the population.

I can see prices being higher for gringo-focused services and products like restaurant meals in Ajijic or specialty NOB food items, but what about everything else - clothing, transportation, groceries, fuel?

Thoughts?

SunFan

The total population around the lake was 250,000 and out of that, the north shore corridor[Jocotepec to Mezcala,total pop. 80,000, 10-15 thousand of that, full and part time  foreigners, in 2006 when I did extensive research for a project I volunteered for.

3 hours ago, Kyle said:

Just got propane, price has not gone down.  Thought it might go down as gas is so low.

No, propane prices will not go down because people in Mexico need propane. in my opinion not only the cost will go down, but the way that's some of the drivers will cheat you will go up. I was a victim of that recently so I speak from my experience an opinion.

We buy from Juan, Los Altos.  We have stove, dryer, gas fireplace & waterheater.  The prices do not go up continually.   I have the receipts in case you disbelieve.

2017 - Dec 9.98

2018 -  Feb 10.29, July 10.05, Nov 10.49,

2019 - Feb 10.79, July 9.59, Aug BBQ tank Ajijic 8.83, Nov 8.99

2020 - Jan 9.29, Apr 8.96

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mitch said:

Propane prices go every month by a few centavos.   It's not a free market commodity in Mexico. Prices have doubled in the last seven years.

Our gas bill is up about 30 % since 2014 to today.  See my other post to see details since 2017.

18 minutes ago, Kalik said:

We buy from Juan, Los Altos.  We have stove, dryer, gas fireplace & waterheater.  The prices do not go up continually.   I have the receipts in case you disbelieve.

2017 - Dec 9.98

2018 -  Feb 10.29, July 10.05, Nov 10.49,

2019 - Feb 10.79, July 9.59, Aug BBQ tank Ajijic 8.83, Nov 8.99

2020 - Jan 9.29, Apr 8.96

So do we and this is great information, thanks.

Well, my gas tank is down to 17% and time to refill. I just phoned my property manager and she ordered the truck for me and it will be showing up at 10 AM tomorrow morning. It is always good to see that the prices are going down.

3 minutes ago, johanson said:

Well, my gas tank is down to 17% and time to refill. I just phoned my property manager and she ordered the truck for me and it will be showing up at 10 AM tomorrow morning. It is always good to see that the prices are going down.

Let us know what price you get, would you please?

Just now, Mainecoons said:

Let us know what price you get, would you please?

I would be more than happy to.

One interesting point. In the past, the gas trucks have always come in the afternoon. Why? Because I live at the top of a very steep hill (calle Juarez) in West Ajijic, and the truck drivers have always told me that they couldn't come in the morning when their gas tank was full. Because the hill was too steep and therefore they would always come in the mid to late afternoon when their tank was much lighter and they could make it up the hill.

I assumed that was because the filled up every morning before doing the delivery. Maybe because things are so slow at the moment  that they wont refill tomorrow morning and the load will be light enough that they can make it up the hill at 10 AM. I use Gas Los Altoss And paid $10.79 per liter in January 2019  ( and the spelling is correct for the name of the company, Gas Los Altoss with the double ss)

The "Gas Los Altoss" (Yes altos is spelled with a double s or ss in the name of the company ) I just filled up my gas tank. And I paid $8.99 pesos per liter.

And considering the size of the tank and the amount I put in, it would appear their gas gauge was correctly calibrated +/- 1 or 2%

What I am trying to say that to the best of my ability to check their measuring gauge, it appeared to be accurate and I was not overcharged.