Chapala.com Webboard

Renting in Mirasol

What about cable internet which is now called  IZZI? I would check with your potential new neighbors to see if there are other options in your neighborhood than just Telmex.. If there is no other alternative, you can always go to Telcel and get a cellular modem. Telcel internet is quite expensive, but it is also fast in most areas.

As for water filtration, you have many, many choices and it depends on whether you want a whole house system or just a point of use system in the kitchen. Mine is under the kitchen sink in the cupboard... has two filters and a UV light. I put a separate larger particle filter on the water line going up to my roof top tinaco. It is the one that gets out the major part of the crud and it gets changed every six weeks. The under sink unit gets its filters changed every six months and the UV light is changed once a year. I could not see the point in providing purified water for the shower or the toilet. YMMV.

2 hours ago, Ferret said:

As for water filtration, you have many, many choices and it depends on whether you want a whole house system or just a point of use system in the kitchen. Mine is under the kitchen sink in the cupboard... has two filters and a UV light. I put a separate larger particle filter on the water line going up to my roof top tinaco. It is the one that gets out the major part of the crud and it gets changed every six weeks. The under sink unit gets its filters changed every six months and the UV light is changed once a year. I could not see the point in providing purified water for the shower or the toilet. YMMV.

I assume you do not have a large alhibe and street water is going directly into your tinaco...or not

Can you please share the type/ model of filter being used for separating the large crud?? Thanks

I do have a 6,000 litre aljibe but it is for emergency use only with a small transfer pump. I put two small tabs of chlorine in it monthly just in case. The street water goes through the below filter and directly up into my tinaco.

The housing of the filter is Vertex Series # 269604. It was installed by JP Home Services at waist level so it was easy for me to change the filters (which I also buy at JP Home Services). They are supposed to be washable... but yuck, gross and I ain't touchin' 'em. 236 pesos a pop.

The filter itself is Hydronix SPC-45-1020 (made in the U.S.)

10 hours ago, Ferret said:

I do have a 6,000 litre aljibe but it is for emergency use only with a small transfer pump. I put two small tabs of chlorine in it monthly just in case. The street water goes through the below filter and directly up into my tinaco.

The housing of the filter is Vertex Series # 269604. It was installed by JP Home Services at waist level so it was easy for me to change the filters (which I also buy at JP Home Services). They are supposed to be washable... but yuck, gross and I ain't touchin' 'em. 236 pesos a pop.

The filter itself is Hydronix SPC-45-1020 (made in the U.S.)

Many thanks for the info

BTW, even if I needed to open the valve to pump from my aljibe, the water would still go through the same filter to get to my tinaco.

On the subject of submersible pumps in aljibes, many people have their pump lying on the bottom of their aljibe in the yuck and the sediment. In San Pancho, I washed a milk crate and the stones in it to sink it. Two notches were cut on either side of the milk crate to cradle a Grundfos smart submersible. The pump was then at least a foot off the bottom. Grundfos smart pumps have a slow impeller start which uses less electricity. In that slow start, the pump senses whether conditions are ideal to pump or not. No water, pump shuts off... even if the water is too hot, it won't start. And, depending on how bad the water is, it's a good idea to have your aljibe cleaned at least once a year. Same for the tinaco.

1 hour ago, Ferret said:

That works too but above ground pumps are noisy which is why we chose a submersible. It depends on your set up.

Manual allows you to run it at your convenience,not necessarily a long time to bother you with the noise.Ours was not super loud,in any event. We had the aljibe filled in when we got a tonaco 3 times the size and discovered even with guests that the aljibe was no longer needed. Our hoses and work shop sink are directly fed on a T connection from the street.

20 hours ago, Daniel M. said:

I’m looking at renting a house in Mirasol and it  only has Telmex slow/ terrible internet. What are my other options and how long is the waiting list for ILOX?  

I would check some neighbors.... or the iLOX office.... to see if their fiber is even available in Mirasol. Also assuming that you have a Telcel cellphone, check the 'strength' of the signal and do a speed test standing inside the house you are considering. If that is OK, then check with Telcel to see the actual cost of their 'in my casa' plans/modem. Johanson says it is expensive but I'm not sure that is totally accurate for this service. 

• Like 1