Chapala.com Webboard

Stanford Doctors Calls for Ending Full-Blown Lockdowns

Jim Bowie

29 minutes ago, Jim Bowie said:

Just checked in Texas and found this. Hopefully this is from being better prepared than some. Maybe that is the secret, being prepared, or leadership, or both. (one probably complements the other)

Today in Texas there are 15,852 Active Cases, 17,622 RECOVERED Cases, and just 948 deaths. That is something to celebrate, compared to the 2018 flu season ! 2,000 more recovered than current cases ! WOW ! 

You know, I've followed your posts for quite a while, and I think you have a  ……………………………………………………….. EDITED BY MOD 5. I have deleted your content because how negative it was including a four letter swear word.  If you had not included the swear word I might have only suggested that rather than saying how wrong something is. that you also show what the answer should have been

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jim Bowie said:

Just checked in Texas and found this. Hopefully this is from being better prepared than some. Maybe that is the secret, being prepared, or leadership, or both. (one probably complements the other)

Today in Texas there are 15,852 Active Cases, 17,622 RECOVERED Cases, and just 948 deaths. That is something to celebrate, compared to the 2018 flu season ! 2,000 more recovered than current cases ! WOW ! 

Actually, JB, those are old totals from Yesterday. Today's totals show 15, 977 Active and 18,440 Recovered. 973 Fatalities. So, about 2,500 more recovered than currently have the CV. Sounds really impressive. Those totals will probably make a few unhappy that will personally attack you, but most of us are pleased by the positive progress results. I pray it continues.

2 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

1824874.jpg

History is replete with examples of people who gave up their freedom for the illusion of security and ended up with neither.  

Do you even have the capability to see the irony in your example.  Because the id%ot who drew the cartoon sure doesn't.

• Like 4

On 5/7/2020 at 6:20 PM, All Day said:

Do you even have the capability to see the irony in your example.  Because the id%ot who drew the cartoon sure doesn't.

No, what I see is a cartoon depicting a man playing with his daughter away from others being harassed by one of these CV Nazis who BTW isn't wearing their mask properly.  Why don't you explain the irony for all of us?

You do know people are being openly encouraged to rat on their neighbors, yes?  That is what we are being reminded of with this cartoon

https://massprivatei.blogspot.com/2020/04/police-app-encourages-people-to-report.html

And what I see in your response is a tendency to personally attack because you don't agree with the opinion being expressed by the cartoonist and myself in posting it.  Try and remember everyone who doesn't buy your point of view doesn't necessarily lack capability OR is an id%ot.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

No, what I see is a cartoon depicting a man playing with his daughter away from others being harassed by one of these CV Nazis who BTW isn't wearing their mask properly.  Why don't you explain the irony for all of us?

You do know people are being openly encouraged to rat on their neighbors, yes?  That is what we are being reminded of with this cartoon

https://massprivatei.blogspot.com/2020/04/police-app-encourages-people-to-report.html

And what I see in your response is a tendency to personally attack because you don't agree with the opinion being expressed by the cartoonist and myself in posting it.  Try and remember everyone who doesn't buy your point of view doesn't necessarily lack capability OR is an id%ot.

You just proved my point.  "CV Nazis".  So you're comparing some of your fellow citizens to "Nazis" because they are listening to health care professionals and might be concerned for their well-being.  You may disagree, but to equate people you disagree with as the "Nazis" is childish and reveals a person with a total lack of self-awareness and irony, not to mention empathy.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pappysmarket said:

Wow...I remember a character in a popular TV show being called the "Soup Nazi" and I don't recall any uproar over that.

Pappy, things change and people change and society changes. I too can remember when a lot of things were called something that sooner or later.... and probably even then!... were offensive. Words such as 'Redskin', 'Jews', 'Jap', 'Wop' not to mention the n-word were thrown about without questioning. Today, not so much fortunately. 

1 hour ago, Upfront said:

dpends how one uses it.

I think it more "dpends" on whether one wants to be outraged or offended which usually depends on whether one likes or dislikes the speaker.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

I think it more "dpends" on whether one wants to be outraged or offended which usually depends on whether one likes or dislikes the speaker.

Bingo.  Yes the outrage around here is pretty selective.  :D 

Some here have forgotten or choose to ignore that informing on one's neighbors was very common and strongly promoted in Nazi Germany, and indeed it is a a very strong characteristic of totalitarianism in general.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

So if you had good reason to suspect that your neighbor was beating and abusing their child,  you would consider it none of your business and not bother to contact the proper authorities? 

False equivalency

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, All Day said:

You just proved my point.  "CV Nazis".  So you're comparing some of your fellow citizens to "Nazis" because they are listening to health care professionals and might be concerned for their well-being.  You may disagree, but to equate people you disagree with as the "Nazis" is childish and reveals a person with a total lack of self-awareness and irony, not to mention empathy.

In case "Yo Mama" never told you, phony outrage sticks out like a sore thumb.

• Sad 1

My mother, brother and I were turned into the Nazi town commandant  as Jews by "neighbours" but fortunately I  had a big mouth even then at the age of 2 1/2. I had only seen fotos of my father who had been taken away by the Gestapo and sent to a work camp in France. Any foto of a man i called papa, so I pointed behind him where there was a foto of Hitler and I called Hitler papa so he sent us home instead of to a death camp.

3 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Thanks for the lesson in civility. I'm sure you meant well.

NB  Nothing in this post is meant to be offensive to anyone or any thing.

Yes, I meant well but obviously the 'shoe didn't fit'....🙁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Upfront said:

EXACTLY what I said in fewer words. did I tell you my arthritis is very bad. Or would you like to make fun of it

Hope your arthritis improves.

1 hour ago, RickS said:

Yes, I meant well but obviously the 'shoe didn't fit'....🙁

I'll have you know my Crocs Athens sandals fit very well.

• Like 1

I read an interesting article on how Sweden is dealing with the virus. Nothing political at all here but fascinating to learn a bit more about this country that some are praising and some are condemning. There's a little here for everyone who has an opinion.

Social distancing means no more than 50 people in a group

Public school attendance is mandatory, no keeping your kids home because you are worried

Home schooling is against the law, it's viewed as violating children's rights to participation in public life. You can lose custody for not obeying this law.

It's a short article and unless you are Swedish, I bet you learn something.

https://quillette.com/2020/05/12/sweden-has-resisted-a-lockdown-but-that-doesnt-make-it-a-bastion-of-liberty/ 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pappysmarket said:

It's a short article and unless you are Swedish, I bet you learn something.

https://quillette.com/2020/05/12/sweden-has-resisted-a-lockdown-but-that-doesnt-make-it-a-bastion-of-liberty/ 

Indeed it is very eye opening. Know very little about Sweden, but from what I have heard, much is dispelled by this writer. Not the mecca of freedom that lots of people claim. Thanks, Pappy.