Chapala.com Webboard

Lakeside Rental Price's Future?

21 hours ago, oregontochapala said:

According to Sonia, a reliable source in my opinion, Mexico has been sending these people back to apply for residency. Might work a time or two, but not a solution to be counted on.

And I think it will escalate on those that are really here under false pretenses and those that know they don't qualify.Every scam must come to and end sometime-eh!

Our "adopted" grand daughter is looking for a smallish place around Chapala under 6000 pesos but must have off street parking for her car.Ā  She is fluent in Spanish.Ā  If you all know of something reasonably priced in pesos from a Mexican land lord please PM me.

Ā 

52 minutes ago, 4fingersfreddy said:

I read your comment, and I am not sure what your point is in that answer to Upfront.

Since you are new here - welcome by the way - I made an earlier point that those people paying their rent in $US dollars, are actually paying double for what the rent should be in Mexican pesos. This raises the general rents and is chum in the water to less than honest landlords.

35 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Since you are new here - welcome by the way - I made an earlier point that those people paying their rent in $US dollars, are actually paying double for what the rent should be in Mexican pesos. This raises the general rents and is chum in the water to less than honest landlords.

Chillin I am sorry but I do not understand or follow your logic. I would suggest that a landlord requires "X" of money from his rental..period and regardless in be in pesos, dollars or chicken. The end result is that he is satisfied with the transaction

Historically the landlord has always started to see more pesos from his dollar rented property because historical the peso has .continues to weaken. There have been periods when this phenomenon moved faster than "norm" , this is one such period

2 minutes ago, 4fingersfreddy said:

General thing: demanding payment in dollores is just greed I think. Landlords knowing full well they will benefit more often than not with rate fluctuation.

This is not greed but sensible economic s to preserve the value of your assets

Do you think you are going to buy the same item, like a car, refrigerator etc when the new stock is replenish, check how much a loaf of bread has increased these past couple years

7 minutes ago, 4fingersfreddy said:

A rental is not new stock at all. You assume everyone has US dollars. Consider those who have only pesos. Set a peso price, not a dollar price.

I have no idea why certain parts of the country has this differential in buy, selling and rent inpesos/dollars

I do know that any official selling/ buying is shown in the document as Pesos and if the contract specifically the buyer/ sellers needs that agreement in Pesos, Dollars or Chicken, that is he/ she gets.Period

Why is that so difficult for you to understand?or?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, 4fingersfreddy said:

General thing: demanding payment in dollores is just greed I think. Landlords knowing full well they will benefit more often than not with rate fluctuation.

Isn't it a "free market" ?Ā  If renters don't want to pay in dollars they have the freedom to look elsewhere. Most houses are sold in dollars so asking rent in dollars for the investment isn't unreasonable imo

For all of you asking: why do landlords require US $ rentĀ vs. Mexican peso rent, the answer is simple: because they can and they do. Most are Mexican who know the history of the dollarĀ vs theĀ peso over many decades if not centuries, so do what is best for themselves.Ā However this has been exacerbated because of the "gringo" (expats worldwide here), whoĀ are attractedĀ for all the reasons we know, take this as "the way it is".Ā I was sucked in when I located here 12 years ago, even though I had been travelling and doing business here for 20 years before that. At that time the Dollar/Peso conversion was 10:1. twoĀ years later it was 12:1 and as a businessman I thought, why am I paying US$ for a MexicanĀ rental? Would I pay Euros for a rental in California? Would I pay YensĀ for a rental in Australia? My rentalĀ house is a very nice lakefront property in SAT owned by a rich family in Guad. who were (and still are) in a legal battle over many properties they own. I saw the opportunity and demanded that the next lease agreement be in pesos. They resisted but then relented after I threatened to leave. Finally weĀ agreed toĀ a max. 5% annual "inflation" increase. The long shot is that 10 years later I am paying a lower rent than when I started. The bad news for you folks in a Frac. or Gated Community is that you are stuck, unless you can organize a revolt to change things. So, to all you potential renters, please take good advise and demand that the rent be in the currency of the country you will be living. Maybe after this current "event" sinks in and there are many vacancies, landlords will see the light, but only if potential renters put the pressure on them.Ā 

1 hour ago, 4fingersfreddy said:

Few landlords agree to pesos.

My home state never puts leases in pesos. Something that evolved here never should have.

Now you are confusing me . Are you saying you are familiar with paying in $Ā  because you home state did the same .So which was your home state?? ,Texas, Florida??

16 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

For all of you asking: why do landlords require US $ rentĀ vs. Mexican peso rent, the answer is simple: because they can and they do. Most are Mexican who know the history of the dollarĀ vs theĀ peso over many decades if not centuries so do what is best for themselves.Ā However this has been exacerbated because of the "gringo" (expats worldwide here) that are attractedĀ for all the reasons we know, take this as "the way it is".Ā I was sucked in when I located here 12 years ago, even though I had been travelling and doing business here for 20 years before that. At that time the Dollar/Peso conversion was 10:1. twoĀ years later it was 12:1 and as a businessman I thought, why am I paying US$ for a MexicanĀ rental? Would I pay Euros for a rental in California? Would I pay YensĀ for a rental in Australia? My rentalĀ house is a very nice Lakefront property in SAT owned by a rich family in Guad. who were in a legal battle over many properties they own. I saw the opportunity and demanded that the next lease agreement be in pesos. They resisted but then relented with a max. 5% annual "inflation" increase that I agreed to. The long shot is that 10 years later I am paying a lower rent than when I started. The bad news for you folks in a Frac. or Gated Community is that you are stuck, unless you can organize a revolt to change things. So to all you potential renters, please take good advise and demand that the rent be in the currency of the country you will be living in.Ā 

You can "demand" until you're blue in the face, but if the landlord says no thanks, then what ? You move on until you find one that agrees, pretty simple. Unless there is a law prohibiting rent in dollars its not gonna happen

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

For all of you asking: why do landlords require US $ rentĀ vs. Mexican peso rent, the answer is simple: because they can and they do. Most are Mexican who know the history of the dollarĀ vs theĀ peso over many decades if not centuries so do what is best for themselves.Ā However this has been exacerbated because of the "gringo" (expats worldwide here) that are attractedĀ for all the reasons we know, take this as "the way it is".Ā I was sucked in when I located here 12 years ago, even though I had been travelling and doing business here for 20 years before that. At that time the Dollar/Peso conversion was 10:1. twoĀ years later it was 12:1 and as a businessman I thought, why am I paying US$ for a MexicanĀ rental? Would I pay Euros for a rental in California? Would I pay YensĀ for a rental in Australia? My rentalĀ house is a very nice Lakefront property in SAT owned by a rich family in Guad. who were in a legal battle over many properties they own. I saw the opportunity and demanded that the next lease agreement be in pesos. They resisted but then relented with a max. 5% annual "inflation" increase that I agreed to. The long shot is that 10 years later I am paying a lower rent than when I started. The bad news for you folks in a Frac. or Gated Community is that you are stuck, unless you can organize a revolt to change things. So to all you potential renters, please take good advise and demand that the rent be in the currency of the country you will be living in.Ā 

So this is a typical example of a owner and renter having reached a contract that satisfy both parties

Not sure about your observation ref living in a fracc , what are they stuck with?

1 minute ago, lakeside7 said:

So this is a typical example of a owner and renter having reached a contract that satisfy both parties

Not sure about your observation ref living in a fracc , what are they stuck with?

Stuck with paying in US $ as most are, as far as rentals are concerned.

4 minutes ago, ea93105 said:

You can "demand" until you're blue in the face, but if the landlord says no thanks, then what ? You move on until you find one that agrees, pretty simple. Unless there is a law prohibiting rent in dollars its not gonna happen

My point exactly (move on). I have a feeling that there will be a "sea change" here shortly re:Ā rentals (and home sales also) due to the NEW WORLD we are about to enter.Ā 

8 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

Stuck with paying in US $ as most are, as far as rentals are concerned.

Respectfully We are not stuck...we all have choices..who forced you into this transaction or location??

You go to a car dealership you look at a FordĀ  or Mercedes, so which did buy, Maybe a bicycle

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

My point exactly (move on). I have a feeling that there will be a "sea change" here shortly re:Ā rentals (and home sales also) due to the NEW WORLD we are about to enter.Ā 

With the peso being where it is I would think there would be less resistance to accepting pesos for rent as long as it's converted to what the landlord wanted in dollars. But who know where the peso will eventually go. Predicting is different that committing.

6 hours ago, ea93105 said:

With the peso being where it is I would think there would be less resistance to accepting pesos for rent as long as it's converted to what the landlord wanted in dollars. But who know where the peso will eventually go. Predicting is different that committing.

You are missing myĀ point entirely. This is a win, win for them (landlords) if they are pricing the rent in US dollars andĀ ALSO expecting you to convert it and PAY in pesos! Why are we discussing paying ANYTHING here in US dollars???

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

Respectfully We are not stuck...we all have choices..who forced you into this transaction or location??

You go to a car dealership you look at a FordĀ  or Mercedes, so which did buy, Maybe a bicycle

This is the reason they keepĀ doing it...nobody is complaining. Look at the law of averages...when was the last time the peso won against the USĀ dollar? They (landlords) just keep smiling and pricing their properties in US dollars and demanding also that YOUĀ pay the conversion fee and hand them pesos!!! Amazing. It makes no difference if itĀ is a beautiful lakefront property such as I live in, or a hovel in the barrio of Chapala.Ā Ā 

9 hours ago, gringohombre said:

For all of you asking: why do landlords require US $ rentĀ vs. Mexican peso rent, the answer is simple: because they can and they do. Most are Mexican who know the history of the dollarĀ vs theĀ peso over many decades if not centuries, so do what is best for themselves.Ā However this has been exacerbated because of the "gringo" (expats worldwide here), whoĀ are attractedĀ for all the reasons we know, take this as "the way it is".Ā I was sucked in when I located here 12 years ago, even though I had been travelling and doing business here for 20 years before that. At that time the Dollar/Peso conversion was 10:1. twoĀ years later it was 12:1 and as a businessman I thought, why am I paying US$ for a MexicanĀ rental? Would I pay Euros for a rental in California? Would I pay YensĀ for a rental in Australia? My rentalĀ house is a very nice lakefront property in SAT owned by a rich family in Guad. who were (and still are) in a legal battle over many properties they own. I saw the opportunity and demanded that the next lease agreement be in pesos. They resisted but then relented after I threatened to leave. Finally weĀ agreed toĀ a max. 5% annual "inflation" increase. The long shot is that 10 years later I am paying a lower rent than when I started. The bad news for you folks in a Frac. or Gated Community is that you are stuck, unless you can organize a revolt to change things. So, to all you potential renters, please take good advise and demand that the rent be in the currency of the country you will be living. Maybe after this current "event" sinks in and there are many vacancies, landlords will see the light, but only if potential renters put the pressure on them.Ā 

If your landlord was charging $500 dollars ten years ago and never raised the rent you would still be paying $500. 5000 pesos 10 years ago is 10000 pesos today but your inflation clause held the increase to 7500 pesos, so you made out on the inflation clause.Ā 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, crynoutloud said:

If your landlord was charging $500 dollars ten years ago and never raised the rent you would still be paying $500. 5000 pesos 10 years ago is 10000 pesos today but your inflation clause held the increase to 7500 pesos, so you made out on the inflation clause.Ā 

It really doesn't matter what he's being charged or made out on. What matters is his HELPFUL suggestion about trying to pay in pesos, the currency of this country, rather than dollars. Comprende?

• Haha 1