Chapala.com Webboard

Heat Wave or not

I am surprised that there have not been more comments on this abnormal heat we have  been  experiencing for many weeks. The combination of the pollen, 80/90F, temperature   and dust is a " killer ". Usually people are talking about swamp coolers  a A/C etc

Also I wonder the positive impact the hotter climes  is having on the Coronaviris 

• Confused 1

Yesterday I thought I had the virus, turns out an allergy attacked. One of the worst I have had. I live near the the hwy. in Roca Azul and combining the dust and smoke and preparing the fields for the next crop of berries probably caused the attack. About 6 weeks or so till rain. 

I wouldn't call it a heat wave, I would call it a pleasure wave. I am loving it, cool in the mornings, hot in the afternoon. The only problem is water rationing this year because the workers screwed up the fracc water well. Still lots of water, but they have decided to build a second well, to compensate, and to handle new and future expansions.

Ron, I sleep with a CPAP machine, not because of any medical problems, but because it filters dust and allergens while you sleep. It also stops snoring, if that is an issue. In normal times, you can pickup a quality rebuilt unit from secondwindcpap.com for a reasonable price. Don't bother with their fancy new masks, you can pickup a quality, made in China mask for under $40.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lakeside7 said:

I am surprised that there have not been more comments on this abnormal heat we have  been  experiencing for many weeks. The combination of the pollen, 80/90F, temperature   and dust is a " killer ". Usually people are talking about swamp coolers  a A/C etc

Also I wonder the positive impact the hotter climes  is having on the Coronaviris

What heat wave..? Doesn’t feel that much different from other late April’s..

Inside my house it ranges between 72 and 75 F... every day and all day. I do not have air conditioning but I do have fans. At the moment, all my windows (good sealed sliders) are closed and they were closed at 9 am. They will be opened again at 10 pm. this evening and left open all night to allow cooler, fresher air in. I have two small "venting" windows at the highest point of my one story house which are always open because hot air rises up and out. The sun never hits my windows because I have lonas (tarps/awnings) preventing it from doing so. I'm cool and comfortable all day. This works because I have good cross ventilation and air movement. The cool air will not come in unless there's a way for the hot air to get out.

49 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

I wouldn't call it a heat wave, I would call it a pleasure wave. I am loving it, cool in the mornings, hot in the afternoon. The only problem is water rationing this year because the workers screwed up the fracc water well. Still lots of water, but they have decided to build a second well, to compensate, and to handle new and future expansions.

Ron, I sleep with a CPAP machine, not because of any medical problems, but because it filters dust and allergens while you sleep. It also stops snoring, if that is an issue. In normal times, you can pickup a quality rebuilt unit from secondwindcpap.com for a reasonable price. Don't bother with their fancy new masks, you can pickup a quality, made in China mask for under $40.

excellent your right  wonderful cool mornings

According to the weather site we are running around 90, same as last year.

It gets hot from the last week in April until the rain starts in early June.  There is no active El Niño or La Niña this year, we are ENSO neutral.  El Niño is not good for the Mexican "monsoon" as it causes below normal rains and above normal temperatures.  That was the case here last year at least for the rain.

9 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Last year May 1st was the hottest day of the year recorded by ajijicweather.com @92.7 F. Haven't hit that yet this year. Our highest so far 91.9 on the 23rd.

Frankly the difference  of 1 degree is not worth arguing about..for me is still distressing  and this March/April has been warmer than  previous years 

In February this year Dr. Angel Muelnert (sp?), head of meteorology dept. at U of Guad, predicted 2 - 5º C   (3.5 - 9º F) hotter than normal for March and April.  I think he's been bang on and we have many years here to back that up.

At that time he could not offer any predictions for May and June. Hoping he will have something to say soon.... also HOPING with odd weather things happening in parts of Mexico right now  we might luck out into rains earlier than usual?              

On 4/26/2020 at 11:56 AM, Ferret said:

Inside my house it ranges between 72 and 75 F... every day and all day. I do not have air conditioning but I do have fans. At the moment, all my windows (good sealed sliders) are closed and they were closed at 9 am. They will be opened again at 10 pm. this evening and left open all night to allow cooler, fresher air in. I have two small "venting" windows at the highest point of my one story house which are always open because hot air rises up and out. The sun never hits my windows because I have lonas (tarps/awnings) preventing it from doing so. I'm cool and comfortable all day. This works because I have good cross ventilation and air movement. The cool air will not come in unless there's a way for the hot air to get out.

I must be doing the wrong thing. Been opening all windows and blinds during the day and then closing windows at bedtime (primarily for security). And temps max around 85 F in my house late afternoon. Will try closing the windows and blinds daytime and see if it works, but the trade-off is I’ll miss the sunshine, the blue skies, the trees, the flowers and the view of the garden during the day. I guess we can’t have it all. Also not sure I’ll be comfortable keeping windows open after bedtime.

40 minutes ago, InChapala1 said:

I must be doing the wrong thing. Been opening all windows and blinds during the day and then closing windows at bedtime (primarily for security). And temps max around 85 F in my house late afternoon. Will try closing the windows and blinds daytime and see if it works, but the trade-off is I’ll miss the sunshine, the blue skies, the trees, the flowers and the view of the garden during the day. I guess we can’t have it all. Also not sure I’ll be comfortable keeping windows open after bedtime.

Keep doing what you're doing so that you can enjoy your daytime view. Our windows and doors are always open 24/7-365. except at night sometimes during the cold season when it's the cold season or the rain doesn't come straight down. 4 pm is the hottest time of day. We have ceiling and floor fans.

If I want to enjoy the garden, I either go outside or look through my many (too many) windows. Fortunately all my windows and doors have squared (not bars) iron grills on them for security purposes. I kept them but put new sliders on the inside. Kind of the best of both worlds. Works for me.

On 4/26/2020 at 9:55 AM, lakeside7 said:

It is the tme of year for heat and pollen. It happens every year.

• Like 1