Chapala.com Webboard

Spider Web Fiber Optics

3 hours ago, Tarheel103 said:

I heard a rumor that Spider Web has been putting in fiber optics internet in the Chapala Area.  Does anyone have any valid information on this?  Does anyone have it?  Is it reliable?

Are you happy with Mack Brown, so far?

13 hours ago, Tarheel103 said:

I heard a rumor that Spider Web has been putting in fiber optics internet in the Chapala Area.  Does anyone have any valid information on this?  Does anyone have it?  Is it reliable?

Doubtful. They are an over air service. No cables. $200 per mo with 3mg speed. With Telcel, Blue and all the other over air options not a very good choice.

Hola, 

Spiderweb does offer fiber internet in some areas. I have their fiber service in Santa Cruz de la Soledad. I do not know what their roll-out has been in Chapala proper. Decent service a little on the expensive side ($80 pesos per month per Mbps of download speed). In our case, I would pay triple as it is the ONLY option in Santa Cruz... 

Phone for spiderweb: 376-765-2213   FB https://www.facebook.com/spiderwebchapala/   

Yes it does, artsnob if you have the correct breed of spiders spinning these spiderwebs. But your internet speeds will be very slow because of the spiderweb  interference, sometimes as slow as one quarter of a bit/second

16 hours ago, Tarheel103 said:

I used Spyderweb (over-the-air) in a couple of different locations, for a total of maybe eight or ten months.  My experience wasn't the kind to brag about, somewhat like common complaints toward Telcel and Telmex...  Perhaps it has to do with a lessor inclination toward customer service which is found in many cultures as compared with the USA, Canada, etc.

A seemingly total lack of caring if you want their service or don't, and if your service is working or not.  It was common to have sporadic internet.  In one case, I called and said "there is a problem, no Internet", and I was told there "isn't a problem".  I called multiple times over two weeks repeating (with details) there is a problem and was told again and again there wasn't.  That is, until they figured out there was.  It made no difference that I was reporting a problem and as far as I could determine, my reports received zero attention.

However, I know another household that used them for several years, and they reported that "generally" it worked ok.  And yes, it seemed quite expensive for the speeds/bandwidth received.

I now have over-the-air service from both AT&T and Telcel.  Purchased their modem(s) which contain a SIM card, service comes from the cell system.  The price seems quite a lot better.  There are two price packages (that I know of) with each company, a Five Mb, or a Ten Mb speed options, and if you exceed the monthly maximum bandwidth (150Gb?) there is NO extra cost.  The speed WILL be throttled down to 2 or 3 Mb, until the beginning of the next month, at which time, your bandwidth usage is reset and your speed goes back up.

If you get either Telcel or AT&T at your location, and, if you can get a decent download speed on your smart phone, one of these might prove to be a better, or much better option.  Not to say they are trouble free, just generally, less troublesome.