Chapala.com Webboard

At least the police officer gave me a choice.

As I was coming out of Chapala Haciendas #2, my seat belt came out of the part that holds it in.  Clearly I didn't set it into the slot well.

I was already half way into the North bound lane, so I continued through and started to pull over to the shoulder to set the belt properly.

Cop on a moto came up to me and said he was giving me a ticket for no seat belt. I didn't even bother to explain. Gave him my registration and license as requested.

He said the ticket was $1,000. I said I understood.

The officer then asked me if I wanted to pay the fine at the municipal building on Monday or pay it "now" to him. I said I would go to the municipal building Monday.

He wrote me the ticket and I will pay in Monday. I recall there is a discount if paid within one week of getting cited. My last citation was maybe 3-years ago. Is there still a discount for early pay?

He was wearing a mask, spoke excellent English and was very nice.

Thanks.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Eric, it would be helpful if you were asking for advice, to just state the question and flag it in your subject line. These "teaser" subject lines you use are irritating to some readers and will probably cause you problems, as they have in the past.

• Like 2

Your point is well taken. Thanks for the input.

I will try to make the subject line reflect what the post is about.

In this instance I wasn't asking for advice, the question about the discount was an afterthought. I thought about putting something about a warning, etc. but that would have required too much detail.

Eric, why do you think that everything that happens to you in the course of your day is something that has to be shared with others on an internet forum? If you were trying to warn others about a seat belt check set up somewhere, or ask where to pay a ticket, or something like that, fine, but how interesting do you think it is to anyone else that you didn't secure your seat belt properly and got a ticket?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

Eric, why do you think that everything that happens to you in the course of your day is something that has to be shared with others on an internet forum? If you were trying to warn others about a seat belt check set up somewhere, or ask where to pay a ticket, or something like that, fine, but how interesting do you think it is to anyone else that you didn't secure your seat belt properly and got a ticket?  

Put him on ignore and this problem goes away and you don't have to post about it constantly.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, sm1mex said:

I don’t think not wearing is a seat belt is 1000. SPENCER. ?

I'm no expert, but I just know that the fine was a very small fraction of that when I was ticketed maybe 10 to 13 years ago. That amount ($1,000) seems way to high.

Again   "I aint no expert"  :) 

Did Eric do something wrong?  What is his offense?  I've seen lots of posters, in various other threads, who are very rude to Eric.  So, he's sharing something he experienced.  Not any more or less interesting than a lot of other stuff people post here.  Why do people get on his case so much?  There's a really easy way to avoid being annoyed by Eric's posts, and that is to not read them!  That way, the rest of us don't have to read all your rude comments.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Carolina said:

Did Eric do something wrong?  What is his offense?  I've seen lots of posters, in various other threads, who are very rude to Eric.  So, he's sharing something he experienced.  Not any more or less interesting than a lot of other stuff people post here.  Why do people get on his case so much?  There's a really easy way to avoid being annoyed by Eric's posts, and that is to not read them!  That way, the rest of us don't have to read all your rude comments.  

Look out for the "gang" attack. :D

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, virgo lady said:

Or, the Mods could do their job and act on the board rules for these repeat offenders.

Be a lot of people gone from here if we really did including some who are active on this thread.  Posting often or being tedious is not a violation of a board rule.  Making rude and personal comments is.  This is a chronic problem here, newcomers and outsiders periodically remind us of it but it just doesn't seem to register with some.

This board has a robust ignore feature.  Anyone who needs assistance using it, please PM me.  Basically all you do is go to the ignore section in your drop down menu under your name in the upper left corner of the page and enter the person's handle you wish to ignore exactly as written by them.  The software does the rest for you.

If you feel you have to "school" another poster send them a PM. 

Thank you Carolina for a very well stated post.

2 hours ago, Carolina said:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I seem to recall that some of the fines for traffic violations were increased beginning at the first of the year.  Maybe this is one of them?

Sounds like the "nice" cop was trolling for mordida with the usual offer to "pay the ticket."

Can anyone post a schedule of current fines for traffic offenses?

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Carolina said:

That way, the rest of us don't have to read all your rude comments.

Same argument made about the OP, nice that you are so consistent (not)

Don't like my comments, put me on ignore.    My + ratings show many agree with me and the views about the continuing not relevant, selfish, boring, stupid posts.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

I seem to recall that some of the fines for traffic violations were increased beginning at the first of the year.  Maybe this is one of them?

Sounds like the "nice" cop was trolling for mordida with the usual offer to "pay the ticket."

Can anyone post a schedule of current fines for traffic offenses?

These appear to be the infractions whose costs are updated for 2020. The fine seems in line with the range shown below.

Nuevo costos de multas de tránsito 2020
Infracción UMA Costos 2020
No usar cinturón de seguridad 10 a 20 veces De $868.8 a $1,737.6
No contar con seguro de auto 20 a 40 veces De $1,737.6 a $3,475.2
Retirar inmovilizador del parquímetro   Autos particulares $259.90 y por estacionarse en lugares para discapacitados $1,175
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, virgo lady said:

That comment sure looks political or personal.    Better get a MOD to nuke it / them ASAP.        

It ain't neither in any way shape or form even if English isn't your first language. If a Transito offers to "help" you by paying him, it's mordida. Eric did the right thing by insisting on the ticket.

I did not find the OP's post offensive. He explained what happened (in detail) and asked if anybody knows if there is a discount when paid in time.

No different then 95% inquirers here.

He did not argue,  complimented the officer for being nice and wearing mask. What is wrong with that?

He acknowledged the problem with his title line (by original critic) and eventually got his answer. The rest was unnecessary.

Sometimes  it feels that this place is a hornet nest. No matter what you say you get stung . Its been like this for a long time and will be forever unless the main players change.

I know that many people follow this board for information but do not want to take any part in it. Just sift through to get the important part (thanks for that "jrod") and maybe treat the rest as an entertainment (with no value ).

Sorry, had to say it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Islander said:

I did not find the OP's post offensive. He explained what happened (in detail) and asked if anybody knows if there is a discount when paid in time.

No different then 95% inquirers here.

He did not argue,  complimented the officer for being nice and wearing mask. What is wrong with that?

He acknowledged the problem with his title line (by original critic) and eventually got his answer. The rest was unnecessary.

Sometimes  it feels that this place is a hornet nest. No matter what you say you get stung . Its been like this for a long time and will be forever unless the main players change.

I know that many people follow this board for information but do not want to take any part in it. Just sift through to get the important part (thanks for that "jrod") and maybe treat the rest as an entertainment (with no value ).

Sorry, had to say it.

Hate to say it, but you are correct. Those of us who know “Eric” all too well and have a personal animus towards him need to stop reacting to him. Those who do not know him have no idea where this stuff comes from. They sympathize with him and get frustrated by the comments. I have put him on ignore but morbid curiosity draws me to the threads — especially now that I have so much time on my hands.. I will try harder to not comment or award “thingies” to those who do. Thank you for your reminder.

• Like 1