Chapala.com Webboard

Should you get a shot for the annual / seasonal flu?

I haven't seen this question raised so I researched it and the consensus in the medical community is that since the coronavirus and the upcoming annual flu are different, it is recommended that you get a shot for the regular flu because it changes every year.

It was also said that because of social distancing, fewer people will get the annual flu, but to be on the safe side they should still get the shot.

• Sad 1

Does anyone know the effective rate of this years flu shot??  For example the early shingles vaccine was only 50% effective so I skipped it.  I have not had a flu shot in 20 years and never got the flu but I do have a killer immune system.  I am not an anti vaccine person FYI. I look at each and make a decision. For example I got the Hepatitis A and B Vaccine  (twinrex??) because it was very effective and we are exposed to it here.

We got our first flu shots since returning to the States. So on February 3rd we both got what we thought was a good old cold or la gripa. Hers was gone in a week but came back a week later with a vengeance. Mine never gave up and after 5 weeks I went to the doc. He said my lungs were clear, no fever but I was coughing up tons of mucous so he gave me a shot (just like in Mexico) and swabbed my nose for a flu culture. Came back negative for flu and just now I'd say I'm back to 90%. Now we're both wondering if we might have had the "bug" but until a test for antibodies is easily obtained we won't know for sure. Doc says probably not but won't rule it out. Testing for it began in earnest here for it about a week after I saw the doc.

I have been getting shots since they were available, therefor for many many years. I don't remember ever having had the flu. I just do as my Doc. says and get any shot he suggests. I figure he knows a heck of a lot better than I, what shots I should get.