Chapala.com Webboard

Question About Paying Maid When Off

My wife and I are trying to figure what if any pay we should give our maid during the lockdown. 

She works for us once a week for about five hours.  Someone suggested 40% of her salary. 

Any feedback will help.  

• Sad 3

Just now, EldonNova said:

I have seen much discussion on Facebook about this issue.  The majority of people are paying their maids full salary to stay at home.  I saw one lady say she never realized how much work her maid actually did and gave her a raise.

If we did not have a regular maid service we would die from dust mites..so we continue to have her come and practice social distancing and ensure she wash her hands etc regular. We have also provided her with a mask and encourage her to practice social distancing when she got home and not to go out to parties etc

It seems we are both happy with the arrangement

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

If we did not have a regular maid service we would die from dust mites..so we continue to have her come and practice social distancing and ensure she wash her hands etc regular. We have also provided her with a mask and encourage her to practice social distancing when she got home and not to go out to parties etc

It seems we are both happy with the arrangement

Same here.  She wanted to work; she said she was getting bored being at home all day.  She lives near me so she does not need to take the bus.  If your maid has been riding the bus but you mutually agree for her to work, you should pick her up and drive her home.  Riding the bus is dangerous at this point.  

• Like 2

Just now, ezpz said:

Same here.  She wanted to work; she said she was getting bored being at home all day.  She lives near me so she does not need to take the bus.  If your maid has been riding the bus but you mutually agree for her to work, you should pick her up and drive her home.  Riding the bus is dangerous at this point.  

When our maid calls and says she has a cold or turns up coughing and sneezing   we do then tell her to stay at home with pay. Every year with regularity this happens mostly during the cold months of December and her kids bring home the bug from school

Though she lives 2 blocks away I asked her to Stay home..full pay. who knows how diligent   she — and others in her home — are about following restrictions. And she can’t know for sure about me either. Safer all around. I miss her but like most of us lived without a housekeeper all my life before moving here. 

(Not exactly  ‘social distancing’  to be in the close confines of a car  with anyone outside the family you live with.   masks might help with the air but the virus can live on surfaces .exposes  yourself and your housekeeper to risks.  you’d feel so terrible if you unknowingly are a carrier and she got sick for the sake of having shiny floors.  To my earlier point If you’re housekeeper is ‘happy’ with you giving her rides I’d  be concerned about what other precautions are being circumvented in her  household 

• Like 1

As much as I (and my back) love my housekeeper, on the 15th of March, I paid her through the door for four weeks. When that four weeks was up, I again got her to come to the door and paid her until JUNE. I can't control her, her family or her environment but I can control mine. Interestingly enough, she came to my door the second time wearing a mask. It's a pittance to pay to keep her and me safe.

• Like 3

Why would I pay the maid and gardener only a portion of their pay? We are not wealthy people by any means. We lost a huge portion of our net worth to the Banksters in 2008 - the year we retired and moved to Mexico. We still have more money than our loyal maid will ever expect to have.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, MtnMama said:

Why would I pay the maid and gardener only a portion of their pay? We are not wealthy people by any means. We lost a huge portion of our net worth to the Banksters in 2008 - the year we retired and moved to Mexico. We still have more money than our loyal maid will ever expect to have.

Exactly. And my housekeeper and gardeners are a fixed part of my budget. The only reason not to continue paying them would because I did not want to part with money without getting work out of them for it. Meanwhile, I’d have extra money to spend on things I don’t really need while they and their families struggled to eat. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 4/23/2020 at 5:12 PM, Halfglass said:

My wife and I are trying to figure what if any pay we should give our maid during the lockdown. 

She works for us once a week for about five hours.  Someone suggested 40% of her salary. 

Any feedback will help.  

Pay the whole salary.

23 minutes ago, HoneyBee said:

Good grief, if people can not get back to their jobs in this area by July, I think you will see food riots. 😶

You are being too optimistic. Apparently the newly formed Food Bank (can’t think of the official name) has temporarily suspended distributing food in Chapala because a near-riot broke out at their last distribution. People posted on Facebook asking why Food was no longer being given here. The director of the Food Bank posted herself and said they were refiguring how to do it safely since what happened threatened the safety of the families and the volunteers. Apparently, frantic people were afraid they would not get food and things got rough.

On 4/23/2020 at 2:42 PM, Halfglass said:

Any feedback will help.  

You should give her full pay!  Her bills didn't just drop by 60%, did they?

• Like 3