Chapala.com Webboard
Mostlylost

New 20 peso coin in circulation

20 peso bills will be removed from circulation. The new coin is being distributed now It honors the 500 anniversary of Veracruz

Nice video from the Bank of Mexico about the making of the new 20 peso coin.  

• Like 1

I had one once and gave it away to a visiting relative, haven't seen one since. Its a beauty

I still have one of the older 20 peso coins. They are nice, but the new one looks even nicer on the screen.. I am looking forward to getting some new ones.

This is a dumb idea. Twenty peso coins are heavy.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The idea is to replace non durable paper with durable coins in the most heavily circulated denominations.  The U.S. should do this with the devalued buck.  I like the idea and it is a handsome coin IMO.

LOL! I hate going to Canada and receiving loonies and toonies for change. I try to dump them as often as I can because, not only are they heavy, but, as coin, they cannot be exchanged into another currency. Anyway, I believe the 20 peso notes are mostly plastic anyway. Whatever, they'll try it again, like they have before. I'll just dump them quickly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

They are made of a multitude of metals; no plastic at all.  Now if Mexico would just stop minting centavos; what a bunch of worthless coins.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Yo1 said:

They are made of a multitude of metals; no plastic at all.  Now if Mexico would just stop minting centavos; what a bunch of worthless coins.

She was referring to the "20 peso notes" which are bills and not coins.

Ferret, I agree, I hate the coins because they are heavy, and I know I accidentally paid out some 20 peso coins in the past instead of 10s because they were so similar. I do like coins aesthetically, though. They feel more like something valuable than plastic bills 🙂

I have three  1 peso Mexican coins, two of which are dated 1971 and the third dated 1974

I have one 5 peso coin which is dated 1978

And one 50 peso coin dated 1984.

They are all quite large and of course, very heavy.  Thank God they don't use them any more.

Changing countries. Did you know that Canada gave up the penny several years ago?  That's right. No more pennies in Canada