Chapala.com Webboard

Is it Riveras or Riberas del Pilar ?

As far as I know there is no such word as rivera in the Spanish language  There is a proper name Rivera as in Jenny Rivera

Many common mistakes in spelling here because if you're a native Spanish  speaker some  letters are pronounced the same in words.    Sometimes Z and S are interchanged  ie: carne azada       I  and Y   because both are pronounced eee            B and V   both pronounced the same.    When someone spells out loud Birch ST. they would say b grande or b bebe so you know it's the first b sound in the alphabet   Many Spanish speakers will spell out v as "v chico" but the correct spelling is pronounced  uve    Good example is the bank BBVA  it is pronounced BBuVA   bay bay ooo bay ah

2 hours ago, EldonNova said:

Anyone who has lived here any length of time will know that Mexicans pronounce the letter "v" as  we Americans/Canadians/English  speaking people  pronounce the letter "b". 

It was the official correct spelling I was curious about, well aware of the B and V sound.

14 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

The word is ribera, and it means (loosely) riverside. Use of the "v" here is a Mexican colloquialism or a misunderstanding based on the languages use of "b" and "v" ( as in "b vaca" and "b baby").

No, there are two different words:  ribera and rivera.  Ribera is the correct word for here as it means shoreline or bank.  Rivera is a brook or stream.  They are pronounced the same thus the confusion in spelling.  This is la Ribera de Chapala--the Shoreline of Chapala.  The area between Chapala and San Antonio is Riberas del Pilar.

5 hours ago, dichosalocura said:

I learned it in Venezuela, many years ago, as "v" de vaca and "b" de burro.

La Academia Real, which is the official body that decides what is correct in Spanish, officially changed the name of the V to uve.  So, technically, the name of the B is be (pronounced bay) and the name of the V is uve (pronounced oobay.) Of course people still say b de burro, v de vaca; or b grande, v chica; or b larga, v corta.

7 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

I  and Y   because both are pronounced eee           

No, y in spanish is most often pronounced like y in the English word, year.  Infrequently, it will be pronounced like the Spanish i latina.

i griega in Spanish has the same sound as the Spanish ll or eye (a yay) as in calle (street) or cayo (he fell).   El cayó en la calle.

In apodos you will get the e sound like with Tony (Toni) or Lety (Leti)  or between two consonants

i......i latina    y......i griega

ll = y

24 minutes ago, slainte39 said:

No, y in spanish is most often pronounced like y in the English word, year.  Infrequently, it will be pronounced like the Spanish i latina.

i griega in Spanish has the same sound as the Spanish ll or eye (a yay) as in calle (street) or cayo (he fell).   El cayó en la calle.

In apodos you will get the e sound like with Tony (Toni) or Lety (Leti)  or between two consonants

i......i latina    y......i griega

ll = y

At the end of a word or all alone the Y sounds like the I -- muy, y.  Everywhere else it makes the same sound as the double l.  Officially the name of the Y is now "ye."  Also LL is no longer a separate letter.  neither is the CH.  The only letter in the Spanish alphabet that does not exist in the English alphabet is the ñ.  K and W do not exist in any true Spanish words, only in foreign words.  There are indigenous languages that use the K and/or W.

38 minutes ago, bdlngton said:

At the end of a word or all alone the Y sounds like the I -- muy, y.  Everywhere else it makes the same sound as the double l.  Officially the name of the Y is now "ye."  Also LL is no longer a separate letter.  neither is the CH.  The only letter in the Spanish alphabet that does not exist in the English alphabet is the ñ.  K and W do not exist in any true Spanish words, only in foreign words.  There are indigenous languages that use the K and/or W.

That is true about the LL is no longer a letter, but the pronunciation hasn´t changed so just the letter count. 

As far as K, only in the metric system, with the exception of those muchachos named Enrique.  Difficult to teach them Quico instead of Kiko.

I would love to see "oñon  be used in English.     :D

38 minutes ago, Travis said:

I certainly don't consider Riberas del Pilar to be "part of San Antonio". 

As I understand it, Riberas Del Pilar began as a frac. It was never a village or town. It didn’t work out that way. So, most of us just think of it as a separate entity. But, had it evolved as planned it would have been a frac in Riberas. That is likely what Travis is referring to.

9 hours ago, Travis said:

I certainly don't consider Riberas del Pilar to be "part of San Antonio". 

I didn't either (and I live in Riberas) until recently.  I always thought of it as part of Chapala.  But government-wise it is part of San Antonio.  If you click on the link I included above you will see on the map that Riberas is included in San Antonio.  Residents in Riberas pay water at SIMAPA in San Antonio, not Chapala.  Mexican citizens go to San Antonio to vote, not Chapala.  If there is a delegado for San Antonio he would represent Riberas also.  Is there a San Antonio delegado to the municipio?  I've never been aware of one.  Riberas is kind of the poor step sister.  However there is lots of building going on in Riberas as there is lots of empty land here so Riberas is booming. 

Of course there is a delegado in SAT, always has been. Office is on the northwest corner of the plaza.  There are 6 delegaciones in the Municipio of Chapala. Coming from the west, the first is Ajijic. then SAT, then Chapala, and the other 3 are east of Chapala (the delegación, not municipio). Simapa is not the local government, it´s the water distribution. Voting locations are a federal responsibility, nothing to do with local governments.

Google maps are not necessarily the absolute authority on anything, especially in this case, and they certainly don´t over ride the local government structure.  Does your recibo de predial say San Antonio Tlayacapan or Chapala? I´m almost willing to bet money that Riberas del Pilar is in the Chapala Delegación and not SAT, and I don´t gamble.  I have lived in SAT for 40 years and have known all the delegados in that time and never once did they mention that Riberas was part of their responsibility.

Now Chula Vista and the fracs. along the west end of the Libramiento are a different matter, they are part of the SAT delegación.

You need more proof than a Google map to convince me....show me your Riberas escritura or predial recibo stating SAT. I have to go to Jocotepec to renew my INE card, does that make SAT delegación part of Jocotepec?

• Thanks 1