Chapala.com Webboard

How to screw up your credit/debit card.

Last time I used my MultiVa debit card, it took three tries to get it to work. Today at WM, I wouldn't work even though I had more than enough $$ to cover the bill.

I then thought about it and remembered reading how bleach is a corrosive. Up until now, I was spraying a bleach/water mix on the card, and letting it dry.

My guess is that since bleach is a corrosive and I think the chip in the card has some metal in it, I caused the chip to become unable to function.

Now I will have to go through I don't know what, to get it replaced.

Hope this helps.

45 minutes ago, artsnob said:

You ruined your card go to Mulitiva there are three people working there, give them old card and they will give you new one, you can even keep same number. Also take passport and proof of address on bill with Justin case they ask,,,

And don't spray it again.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, dencol said:

Must be the Mexican cards, I have sprayed my USA card with water bleach mixture a couple dozen times and never had a problem. I called my bank and they said the water bleach mixture will not harm my card.

That depends on the water to bleach mixture. I've talked to a couple of people who were using a 2 to 1 mixture and destroying rubber shoe soles etc..

10% is recommended online on many sites for surface disinfection (light switches, door knobs, etc)

100 ml laundry strength cloro /bleach, then fill with water, to 1 liter mark.   EZ.

I wouldn't spray a card, maybe just dampen a cloth and wipe it.

Yes, my move was pretty stupid. I sprayed the card and then just let it sit until the bleach water mixture evaporated.

I read that a bleach water mixture is much more effective than bleach hello and has bleach has a corrosive.

I believe according to Clorox, the ratio should be 1 Parts water to 9 part bleach. I also noted that the mixture is only 100% strength for 24 hours and then it degrades 20% after the passage of a certain amount of time and it keeps degrading until it turns out to be, guess what?, saltwater.

5 hours ago, Eric Blair said:

I believe according to Clorox, the ratio should be 1 Parts water to 9 part bleach.

Absolutely not. Unless you meant to say 1 part bleach to 9 parts water, but even that's too much bleach. Dencol was correct, the recommended mixture is 4 teaspoons bleach to one litre of water. This was confirmed for me by a friend in Canada who is a nurse. She said the water content is important to the disinfection process. 

Anyone who is using a stronger mixture than that is just wasting bleach and it will be less, rather than more effective.

Here's something interesting- i did a big shop today, and then spent a bunch of time wiping down the outside of everything with the bleach solution. The bleach solution was grey by the time I finished. Lots of dirt and grime on everything, something I never thought about before.

11 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Absolutely not. Unless you meant to say 1 part bleach to 9 parts water, but even that's too much bleach. Dencol was correct, the recommended mixture is 4 teaspoons bleach to one litre of water. This was confirmed for me by a friend in Canada who is a nurse. She said the water content is important to the disinfection process. 

Anyone who is using a stronger mixture than that is just wasting bleach and it will be less, rather than more effective.

Here's something interesting- i did a big shop today, and then spent a bunch of time wiping down the outside of everything with the bleach solution. The bleach solution was grey by the time I finished. Lots of dirt and grime on everything, something I never thought about before.

Here's a CDC link, there's a wide range depending on purpose / application.    10% (1 part bleach to 9 parts water) is on the strong end of the range but not dangerous.   Never use straight bleach, agree completely, total overkill, and bad for skin, eyes, and lungs.....

https://www.cdc.gov/disasters/bleach.html

1 minute ago, Go Solar said:

Here's a CDC link, there's a wide range depending on purpose / application.    10% (1 part bleach to 9 parts water) is on the strong end of the range but not dangerous.   Never use straight bleach, agree completely, total overkill, and bad for skin, eyes, and lungs.....

https://www.cdc.gov/disasters/bleach.html

The OP was trying to fix a malfunctioning chip card.....not sanitizing, so no need for bleach.   Rubbing alcohol is recommended for cleaning a dirty chip.  Worked on one of our malfunctioning chip cards.  

Though I have also read this:

alcohol.png

• Haha 4

As I read his OP, the original issue came from sanitizing the card by spraying it with bleach and water.       The added info posted was just to help folks understand the right strengths and methods to use.     Both alcohol and bleach solutions, are valid options for sanitizing.

• Like 1

A concentrated solution of 1 part liquid bleach to 10 parts water (10%) is only used for extreme disinfecting applications - like cleaning up vomit or other body fluids.  Much lower concentrations of 1 part liquid bleach to 100 parts water (1% or less) are recommended for disinfecting kitchen surfaces and household items.