Chapala.com Webboard

THE UGLY AMERICAN/CANADIAN (I believe)

I went to WM at about noon. On the drive, I saw maybe 90+% of the people wearing face masks. I had my N95, goggles, etc.

As I was going in, I saw a young girl at a table with a bottle of hand gel. Big sign there saying in English, and in a nice way, "No mask, as required by law, no entry."

The girl was in a "discussion" with a man (Clearly not a Mexican or IMO, Latino) wanting to go in, but had no mask. The man was 6' and husky. The "discussion" was clearly about the face mask requirement, and the girl was pointing to the sign.

The man then said in a loud, clearly agitated tone of voice, in perfect English, ( I was about 12' away), "I'm not wearing one." He then took his cart and went in, sans mask.

In the time I was there, I saw only one (WM employee) not wearing a mask.

I have no idea what, if anything, happened after that.

I was there at that time in the checkout line. I saw about six police of mixed gender walk in and out at different times.

My wife with a different cart shopping for our neighbors was behind me and saw the "ugly" guy walk out and not too far were three police.

Actually police not guards.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bisbee Gal said:

@Eric Blair  Why do you have a N95 mask?  They should be reserved for medical personnel, hospital staff.  Can you clean then donate?

If the poster wants to wear one that he bought retail don't chastise him.   If medical personal don't have them ... then they need to ask.   N95 masks are readily available for purchase online. Vendors have  thousands available with next day delivery. 

• Thanks 5
  • Sad 1

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/mexico-coronavirus-hospital-outbreaks-imss-amlo/2020/04/18/e3a4e48e-7f66-11ea-84c2-0792d8591911_story.html

From above story dated April 19, 2020

It was the first in a series of outbreaks at hospitals that have rattled Mexicans and raised questions about the Social Security Institute, the country’s biggest public health network. Nurses and doctors have held protests around the country. The governor of Baja California, Jaime Bonilla, lashed out at federal authorities for the lack of protective gear in his border state, saying doctors were “dropping like flies.”

[D]octors and nurses at the hospital began holding demonstrations to protest their lack of protective gear.  “There’s no material, no equipment — gloves, masks, there’s never any of that,” nurse Arturo Ramírez told the Televisa network.

In Tlalnepantla, outside Mexico City, 44 personnel at Hospital No. 72 turned out to be positive, according to IMSS. They included a group of medical residents who had been pressing their supervisors to give them protective equipment. The young physicians were told that buying their own gear was part of their “commitment” to medicine, they wrote in a letter published in Mexican media.

The recent shortcomings at the IMSS hospitals have raised so much concern that state governments and business groups have been donating masks and other equipment to the facilities.

12 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

This does not change my statement.  There are thousands of N95 masks available.  I have 2 family members who are doctors in GDL They have plenty of N95 masks. I bought some online last week. 

Are you really suggesting that by the OP buying an N95 mask that an IMSS doctor did not get one??  The problem is the Federal government.... Not the supply of N95 masks available. There isn't cancer medicine for children in some IMSS hospitals.  The medicine is available in pharmacies.  Ask AMLO why there are no supplies in the hospitals. Don't blame the OP

There are even N95 masks available for your dog with overnight delivery.  

Now if you wish to buy a few hundred masks to donate to an IMSS hospital I will give you a link and you can have them  by Friday.  

P.S. I read Mexican newspapers  Much more up to date then foreign newspapers about Mexico 

Dog.JPG

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Mostlylost said:

If the poster wants to wear one that he bought retail don't chastise him.   If medical personal don't have them ... then they need to ask.   N95 masks are readily available for purchase online. Vendors have  thousands available with next day delivery. 

I actually did donate one box as well as a box of just regular surgical masks. I kept a few for myself along with a box of nitrile gloves.

When I lived in California one of the things I did was be the medical legal administrator for a clinic had to use the masks and gloves. I bought some extra for myself to bring down here and so, although 15 plus years old, I figure they still work.

I decontaminate fly misting them with a diluted bleach solution and letting them dry in the Sun. I understand it's sunlight and warm are not good for viruses.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Eric Blair said:

I actually did donate one box as well as a box of just regular surgical masks. I kept a few for myself along with a box of nitrile gloves.

When I lived in California one of the things I did was be the medical legal administrator for a clinic had to use the masks and gloves. I bought some extra for myself to bring down here and so, although 15 plus years old, I figure they still work.

I decontaminate fly misting them with a diluted bleach solution and letting them dry in the Sun. I understand it's sunlight and warm are not good for viruses.

Good for you.   Now there is at least one poster in this thread  who has their foot in their mouth for chastising you. Wonder how many masks they donated??????

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

@Eric Blair  Why do you have a N95 mask?  They should be reserved for medical personnel, hospital staff.  Can you clean then donate?

He probably had them like I did.  I have had N95 masks and I even have a gas mask type mask with replaceable cartridges. Why?  To spray chemicals or strong detergents and such. I also bought a large quantity of vitamin C. Do you want to take that away from me because I was prepared 🙂   All the things I have mentioned are available to buy.  If you want Vitamin C the Christina drug store has a large supply of Bayer fizzie type Vitamin C in 1 gram with zinc and 2 gram just vitamin C. Liquid or IV vitamin C is quite a bit better than the pills. N95 masks can be purchased online.  Since you are telling people what to do be sure you give to local food banks.  Well I think that covers that.  

• Like 4

Some posters on this board never cease to amaze me, and 99% of the time it's the same handful of people.  This started as a posting about a man not wearing a face mask in WM to chastising someone for the type of mask they personally wear.  Really??

• Like 1

Both Amazon and eBay banned the sale of N95 masks on their sites so that these masks could only be sold to hospitals, etc.  

https://www.vox.com/recode/2020/3/17/21183310/amazon-coronavirus-n95-masks-fba-inventory-seller-vendor-restrictions

The online retailer will only allow hospitals and government organizations to purchase certain medical supplies.

By Jason Del Rey@DelRey  Updated Apr 2, 2020, 11:16am EDT

Just because MercadoLibre sells them doesn't mean they should.  As long as there are still newstories here in Mexico that there are N95 mask shortages in hospitals and for medical front line personnel, I think sales to the general public should be halted as they are/were in US (to my knowledge Amazon and eBay have not resumed sales of N95 to the general public).

Those of you who had them long before this pandemic, good for you.  

It wasn't my intention to try to shame anyone...just want medical personnel to have first dibs on PPE's.  The stories and demonstrations by Mexican health workers should be alarming to all of us.  I don't doubt that distribution within IMSS is also a problem. 

And yes, I am and have been donating to the local food banks and local charities.  Hope everyone is, there is a lot of need here and it's only going to get worse.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Both Amazon and eBay banned the sale of N95 masks on their sites so that these masks could only be sold to hospitals, etc.  

Just because MercadoLibre sells them doesn't mean they should.  As long as there are still newstories here in Mexico that there are N95 mask shortages in hospitals and for medical front line personnel, I think sales to the general public should be halted as they are/were in US (to my knowledge Amazon and eBay have not resumed sales of N95 to the general public).

Those of you who had them long before this pandemic, good for you.  

It wasn't my intention to try to shame anyone...just want medical personnel to have first dibs on PPE's.  The stories and demonstrations by Mexican health workers should be alarming to all of us.  I don't doubt that distribution within IMSS is also a problem. 

And yes, I am and have been donating to the local food banks and local charities.  Hope everyone is, there is a lot of need here and it's only going to get worse.   

SORRY  but you are way behind the times....... N95 masks are available now on Ebay, and Amazon, and Mercadolibre, not to mention China Brands, Alibaba, and a dozen others.  The production is millions a week. There is no shortage of N95 masks anymore. 

Buying an N95  mask at a retail outlet does not prevent the Mexican government from sending masks to hospitals.  

There are millions available for the Mexican government to buy on the wholesale market. Three planeloads of supplies have arrived from China in the last 10 days. The problem is the Federal government, and the people AMLO appointed to be in charge of the health system in Mexico are inept.  

Good that you are charitable. 

You should apologize to the OP as he did nothing wrong. He is only trying to stay healthy.

50 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

SORRY  but you are way behind the times....... N95 masks are available now on Ebay, and Amazon, and Mercadolibre.

Stop making crap up.  Amazon is NOT selling N95's.  Here is screen shot of Amazon page that you see when you search for N95's.....see the picture...N95s ONLY FOR HOSPITALS and GOVERNMENTS.  Here is Amazon's official statement on their policy as of TODAY.

I had already stated that MercadoLibre is indeed selling masks, and I also stated that just because they are, doesn't make it right in light of the shortages that exist here in Mexico for health care workers.  

amzon.jpg

People keep saying you can buy masks online, so I went onto Amazon.com.mx to check. There are NO N95 masks for sale. If you read the reviews for the small variety of masks, you soon discover that they are all crap. Usually too small, or the elastic breaks, or you don't get what you ordered. Any masks that looked like they might be worthwhile had no reviews, and there is no point risking ordering those. Mercadolibre does have them, and some of the reviews are good, but as with Amazon, many have no reviews, and that is dangerous.

There are a couple of guys with a table beside Tony's who are selling masks, gloves, and antibac gel and soap. Their thin masks (at 5p) are pretty poor, although they are enough. Their N95s (the type with a metal band, but no valve) are $125p each, which is ludicrous. I own one that I got for spraying trees at a farmacia for 15p before this all started. their gel is also way overpriced at $125p.  Supply and demand.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Stop making crap up.  Amazon is NOT selling N95's.  Here is screen shot of Amazon page that you see when you search for N95's.....see the picture...N95s ONLY FOR HOSPITALS and GOVERNMENTS.  Here is Amazon's official statement on their policy as of TODAY.

I had already stated that MercadoLibre is indeed selling masks, and I also stated that just because they are, doesn't make it right in light of the shortages that exist here in Mexico.  

amzon.jpg

THERE IS NO SHORTAGE OF N95 MASKS IN MEXICO   There was 2 weeks ago... You are way behind  

I don't make up anything. Possibly you just aren't up to date....... 

Ok you found a listing saying only to hospitals  There are many others without that prohibition  

Anyone can order N95 from Amazon  here are 2 offers with delivery to Mexico    You can order today!

Just admit you are wrong and move on.  

N95.JPG

N95 2.JPG

When out shopping at Mega yesterday, most shoppers were wearing masks, but not all. Of those wearing masks, many were so small they didn't cover both their nose and mouth, which makes them basically useless. Also anyone without a mask was allowed in to the store, and there was someone taking their temperature before they could enter. (This was in Bucerias) But a study that just came out in New York, from doctors on the frontlines, said that 70% of patients admitted to hospital there with many symptoms of COVID, who tested positive, had no fever. So even though fever has been one the top symptoms mentioned, it seems that taking someone's temprature is also basically useless.

10 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

People keep saying you can buy masks online, so I went onto Amazon.com.mx to check. There are NO N95 masks for sale. If you read the reviews for the small variety of masks, you soon discover that they are all crap. Usually too small, or the elastic breaks, or you don't get what you ordered. Any masks that looked like they might be worthwhile had no reviews, and there is no point risking ordering those. Mercadolibre does have them, and some of the reviews are good, but as with Amazon, many have no reviews, and that is dangerous.

There are a couple of guys with a table beside Tony's who are selling masks, gloves, and antibac gel and soap. Their thin masks (at 5p) are pretty poor, although they are enough. Their N95s (the type with a metal band, but no valve) are $125p each, which is ludicrous. I own one that I got for spraying trees at a farmacia for 15p before this all started. their gel is also way overpriced at $125p.  Supply and demand.

Don'k know about Amazon MX  Amazon, ebay, Mercadolibre and many others are selling N95 masks All types. Price vs value is the buyer's decision. 

N95 2.JPG