Chapala.com Webboard

INFO ON CORNO VIRUS STIMULUS CHECK

Will L

I file every year, the last time was in 2018 and I get a monthly social security check deposited in my Seattle Bank of America checking account. This month, the SS check came maybe a week early, but so far no Corona Virus stimulus deposit in my B of A checking account. It will be interesting to see when I get mine. It is not like I need it real bad. But it would be nice to get :)

Please use the IRS website for receiving stimulus checks.   There is a section for those of us " living abroad ". If you receive SS in your MX bank account,  your stimulus check will be deposited in that account.   I found absolutely no information stating checks cannot be deposited in foreign banks.   

• 1 month later...

Yesterday (June 25, 2020) I received a letter dated May 24, 2020 with the letterhead "The White House", signed by 45, and mailed by the IRS.  It states that I am eligible for the stimulus payment and that it will be direct deposited to my bank account.  It doesn't indicate whether that will be my USA bank account or my Mexican bank account.  Is there a way to know, and a way to find out the approximate date the deposit will be made?  It's already been more than a month since the letter was mailed to me, but I've seen no deposit in either account.  

More Liana, there is an online stimulus tracker tool (info at link below) where you can track your payment; any of the direct deposits went to the bank account into which previous IRS refunds were deposited; that said, not all stimulus payments were sent that way--even if your IRS overpayment was via DD. Some were by check and, most recently, mailed in the form of a debit card to the address on the last annual return. Hope this helps.

https://www.cnet.com/personal-finance/if-you-havent-tracked-your-stimulus-check-with-this-online-tool-do-that-now-heres-how/

On 4/22/2020 at 3:53 PM, Mostlylost said:

If you haven't filed in 2018 or 2019 then they will deposit to the account that SS uses. If you have filed taxes with  refund they will deposit in the account you used fr refund. 

Not true.  I know from firsthand experience.  It may say that on the IRS site, but that's not how it's working, at least for me and several others.

If these sites are accurate, those that do not need to file with the IRS,  can still use the Non-filers form up to 15 October, 2020.

https://www.cbpp.org/research/federal-tax/aggressive-state-outreach-can-help-reach-the-12-million-non-filers-eligible-for

https://www.businessinsider.com/personal-finance/irs-new-tool-for-non-tax-filers-fast-stimulus-payments-2020-4?r=MX&IR=T

I just found this in My Social Security page.  

If I live outside the United States and not in a U.S. Territory, how and when will I get my economic impact payment (EIP)?

Social Security beneficiaries with a foreign address whose monthly benefit is deposited in a foreign bank will receive their EIP by paper check in the mail, because the IRS does not deposit money into foreign accounts. The IRS anticipates it will start mailing these EIPs no later than July 24. Beneficiaries living abroad who receive their monthly benefit through a domestic bank should receive their EIP by direct deposit to that same account on or about July 24.

I just received my mailed check, delivered by MexPost and it did require a signature.

I just noticed a stamp on the back that says it was received in Chapala on "25 JUN". Eleven days to go another 400 meters ain't that bad, no?

Social Security beneficiaries with a foreign address whose monthly benefit is deposited in a foreign bank will receive their EIP by paper check in the mail. (Obviously to the address on file at the SS administration.) 

Mail between countries is governed by international agreements,  A letter mailed in the USA to a Mexican address will be processed in the USA and turned over to Correos de Mexico for delivery to the Mexican address. 

I never get a refund (terrible way to save money for those that have no discipline) because I don't file quarterlies.  They sent my stimulus check to my address where I living in 2018.  Wonder how long it will take?  2-3 months?

20 hours ago, Yo1 said:

I never get a refund (terrible way to save money for those that have no discipline) because I don't file quarterlies.  They sent my stimulus check to my address where I living in 2018.  Wonder how long it will take?  2-3 months?

How did you find out the address to which it was mailed?  I'd like to know where they sent mine.

We have been Non-filers for almost 18 years, all in Mexico.  We can't use Get My Payment on IRS website as it states ''information not available''.  We have one check direct deposit in MX, one in the U.S.   The U.S. bank is the same one we used the last time we filed 18 years ago.  No payments have been deposited.    We tried calling IRS, phone number/s do not work.  We contacted SS, no help.  So, we wrote an email to a Senator of the U.S. State where we lived last.  Her office sent us a Privacy Act Form to sign and return.  We did that and received an email from them that they are contacting IRS on our behalf to find out information about our payments.   I was very impressed that we received replies from the Senator within 24 hours of our inquiry to them.  I did tell them in my original email that we are Overseas Absentee Voters and spelled out our concerns about living in a foreign country and actually receiving a paper check or debit card.