Chapala.com Webboard

Liquor stores open.

The OP mentioned both grocery stores and one liquor store outside of Chapala.  Jalisco rules are different for those 2 categories.  Liquor stores are shut under the Jalisco definition of "Essential" versus "Non-essential."  Why that one liquor store is open, I dunno, but possibly it sells enough "other stuff" to qualify as a convenience store??  Or maybe it is just breaking the law???  As far as the Guadalajara Walmart, Sam's, Costco, they have always been allowed to be open and sell ALL of their inventory, including alcohol.  Alfaro has reiterated several times that La Ley Seca is not invoked (Dry Laws).

Now, for Chapala.  Chapala liquor stores are closed per Jalisco law.  That never changed.  However, at some point after the imposition of the closures of liquor stores, the Chapala presidente issued these instructions (see excerpt from Guadalajara Reporter below).  I wonder if these "instructions" carry legal weight since some food stores continue to openly sell alcohol (El Torito, Panchos, the Oxxo on Morellos/Colon) and others stopped (Walmart).  Have no idea if those who abided by the Chapala presidente's "instructions" have since changed their policies. 

Here is quote from GR

Alcohol sales explained

Published: 16 April 2020

Written by GR Staff

Chapala Mayor Moisés Anaya has stressed that his government has not imposed a local Dry Law. However, in fairness to liquor stores that will suffer significant income loss, City Hall issued instructions for chain convenience stores and supermarkets to close off their liquor shelves as well.

15 minutes ago, Observer said:

Interesting .. I’m glad you were able to locate liquor for yourself. However you do know that Guadalajara is a hotspot for Covid19 and the authorities have been trying to keep Guadalajara residents from coming into the Lake Chapala area so the virus remains contained. It takes just one person to set off. 

Sometimes people post things about people they know nothing about. Ron is a licensed EMT in Mexico, his wife is a nurse, they run an elderly care facility, and I am positive they know more about infection control or contagions that you can ever imagine.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

So when and who made this change...it's becoming a comedy of errors, like a Monty Python show.

So true

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Observer said:

This is a open forum, if Ron hadn’t a shared to the world .. I wouldn’t have acknowledged. But thank you for the heads for letting me know who and what this person does for a living. I’ll be sure not to get too close to any of the elderly care facilities while the pandemic is in flow swing. 

Bye Felicia 

• Confused 1

There were always stores selling liquor around here.  You just need to find the right abarrotes store.  And preferably off the main drag or Avenida.  Even on the Avenida here in Chapala you can purchase it at at least two locations.  But you must ask for it.  Even when the black curtain is hiding the liquor, they often are still selling.

16 minutes ago, dichosalocura said:

The local abarrotes have been allowed to sell cerveza all along and most have been.  Read the El Semanario Chapala on line.  There are at least two articles from this week confirming this.

Mine ran out last week.  They are right next to mi casa so I don't need to read anything to confirm. We shall see-eh!

12 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Sometimes people post things about people they know nothing about. Ron is a licensed EMT in Mexico, his wife is a nurse, they run an elderly care facility, and I am positive they know more about infection control or contagions that you can ever imagine.

Thank you. You have no idea how much care we take. Supplies which are bought are put on a table outside where we go through a disinfecting process before it is brought into the home. We have all the PPE we need includes booties, hand sanitizer of bleach and water, all dishes are washed in some and bleach and much more. I have people with deposits in my account wanting to come here. Even if they could get here we cannot take them in for fear. My costs have gone up because of the virus and  we cannot increase our revenue. Don't worry about me I am not drinking box wine....Yet. 

Thank you CHILLIN. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cedros said:

It wasn't open yesterday. I may check today.

Why bother, it's a liquor store that does not sell "food" and has been closed since the first week of April . They can't even claim a relationship with Superlake now that it's closing too. Thrashing dead horses is contra-productive-eh!