Chapala.com Webboard

CFE Problem

Alfa

For the past week or so the electricity in my house in Upper Chula Vista has been going off for periods of varying time. Usually a minute or a few minutes, once over night. Last night between 2030 and 2100 hrs a fairly strong wind arose and the light flickered for about ten minutes then stayed on for the rest of the evening.

We call every time it happens but CFE does not seem able to correct whatever is the problem. does anyone else have this problem with this "World Class Enterprise"?

1 minute ago, Alfa said:

For the past week or so the electricity in my house in Upper Chula Vista has been going off for periods of varying time. Usually a minute or a few minutes, once over night. Last night between 2030 and 2100 hrs a fairly strong wind arose and the light flickered for about ten minutes then stayed on for the rest of the evening.

We call every time it happens but CFE does not seem able to correct whatever is the problem. does anyone else have this problem with this "World Class Enterprise"?

What you are describing sounds like it is possibly a tree branch problem. If your power cables are above ground follow from your meter to the pole then walk the street to see where the cables go from pole to pole. If you see a place where tree branches are very close to the lines then you can call CFE and report it so they can  cut the trees. 

I'm big on having a Plan B. 

For me, my electrical problems are solved with my portable generators. Crank up, change from the regular house plugs to the "Gen" plug next to the house plug, and I've got power to spare.

IMO, in Mexico, one should always have a Plan B.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Eric Blair said:

I'm big on having a Plan B. 

For me, my electrical problems are solved with my portable generators. Crank up, change from the regular house plugs to the "Gen" plug next to the house plug, and I've got power to spare.

IMO, in Mexico, one should always have a Plan B.

Just make sure, Eric, that before you start your generator that the wiring is disconnected from CFE or the street. If you don't, power from your generator would not only feed your house but go back into the street and to the point where the failure took place. And that is where the CFE repair man will be working thinking that your line is dead, and you could create serious problems for him to include a serious electrical shock.

My system disconnects CFE  automatically and gets its backup power from 8 Trojan deep cell Golf Cart batteries, when the sun isn't shining and are recharged by my photovoltaic solar panels during the day.

Without such a system, when the CFE power goes out your solar panels can not provide you power during the day.

Better to have solar panels and then relax in the heat with A/C and plenty of power and no gasoline needed.  

3 minutes ago, Intercasa said:

Better to have solar panels and then relax in the heat with A/C and plenty of power and no gasoline needed.  

Yeah but you have to have those batteries to be able to do that with the grid down.  And you need a bunch of them if you're going to run an AC.

Most solar here, including ours, is grid tied.  That means the system either pushes power into the grid when the sun is strong or when there's no or little sun, you draw it out.  CFE has to be up and running for grid tied to work.

Pete can power his essentials when CFE is off because of his battery bank.

Johanson,

Yes, I know about what you said.

What I did is put in a totally separate system by putting boxes in the walls that go directly to the generator. These receptacles are marked with a GEN, so all I have to do is unplug it from the normal receptacle from CFE, and put it into the generator receptacle. It takes about three minutes to make the entire switch over.

Solar is probably a really great idea however my bi monthly bill is somewhere around $300 oh, so it would take me forever and week to make up the additional cost.

5 hours ago, Alfa said:

Maybe it’s you’re problem and not the CFE’s problem.  The CFE is only concerned with the connections at the mast head and possibly the incoming side of the meter base and of course the meter itself.. If the problem is on the outgoing side of the meter CFE won’t investigate.. You need an electrician to check the connections on the outgoing side of the meter and the connections on the main breaker in the breaker panel.

Solar pays for itself in 3-4 years and rates rise every year, also does work with blackouts, we have worked and nobody has had power