Chapala.com Webboard

Min Wah

happyjillin

1 hour ago, #HarryB said:

Has anyone done them the kindness of printing out this discussion and giving tit to them. They have been a long standing business in this area and has served the public. They deserve to know why their business is dying

Believe me, I agree, my wife has the worst 24 hours of her life after eating there and we haven't been back, but to have their business die without knowing why?

Not necessary to be kind to a  "BUSINESS" that appears to still have enough patrons that don't know good Chinese and/or don't mind eating crap to remain operational. A few posts on a web board that has a membership of a very small % of the total resident potential patrons will not make or break them. There are far larger restaurant review sites that they should perhaps look at but obviously have not bothered to.

• Like 4

We would have to notify so many restaurants, it would be a full-time job. Besides, who's to say if my tastebuds are good enough to do something like that? Talking to the owner or manager, as we have on more than one occasion, should be enough. Every good business owner knows that one complaint heard is the same as 10 complaints not made.

• Like 2

This is  very difficult subject to address....firstly we all have different opinions on how a certain restaurant dish should taste ,but as in the Min Wha’s case we tend to agree most of their food needs help. In his well known books .The making of a Chef etc  the author Rhulman  attempts to explain the  difficulties of replicating  restaurant dishes with any degree of consistency .  The main problem  is exposure.....the chef / cook has to know what the dish should taste like to begin with , either though training or having eaten it many times at a wide variety of restaurants. The best ethnic restaurants are usually  operated by persons of that particular ethnicity or people  who have spent extensive time in that country , constantly being exposed to the flavor profiles. Oriental food is complex ...sweet ,sour , salty , hot and spicy. ....that’s why it is so popular and difficult to make with any degree of authenticity.   I have a repertoire of about  a dozen oriental dishes I make quite often they’re not easy.. The poor cook/ chef at Min Wha has to produce over a hundred different dishes    , that someone showed either him or a family member over a dozen years ago . Do I eat there ? ...  yes I get take out occasionally ,when I’m feeling lazy during this  confinement...which probably accounts for the length of this post .

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Ian Greenwood is, as usual, right on!

Today I posted the following on Min Wah's Facebook Page.  Hopefully the owner's will see it sometime soon. Our two recent delivery orders were just fine.  Reading the post that I copied and included on their Facebook page was discouraging.  The owner's need to know what's being said.  Maybe what's written will help.  We, personally, would like to see them survive. 

..........................................................................................................

If the owners of MIN WAH would review the recent posts on Chapala.com (LA COCINA SECTION) it might help them understand that although there are a number of people, who have over the years enjoyed the restaurant, there are some very disturbing recent reviews.  Some recent posts in this time of the Covid-19 shutdown do not support the restaurant.  When most of us have to rely on telephoning our orders and "gambling" that what we order will be delivered on time and be of a level of quality and value that we would expect if dining in the restaurant..... reading numerous bad reviews would discourage most people from ordering.

Following I've copied a recent post from Chapala.com that, if legitimate, would discourage anyone from placing an order from your restaurant. If the food is delivered and turns out to be as described in this post what would a disappointed patron do? In reality it's pretty hard to complain over the phone!

My wife and I have frequented the restaurant for years and have had two delivery orders in the last three weeks. We were going to order again today until I read the post in the La Cocina section of the Chapala.comWeb-board.

TO MIN WAH'S OWNER AND MANAGEMENT: PLEASE MONITOR, REGULARLY THAT WEB-SITE. IF YOU DO AND POSITIVELY REACT TO WHAT'S WRITTEN, YOUR BUSINESS WILL SURVIVE THESE TOUGH TIMES. IF YOU DON'T PAY MORE ATTENTION YOU MIGHT NOT.

HERE'S THE DISCOURAGING POST: 

So two days ago we ordered delivery of 2 egg rolls,1liter of wonton soup, and chow mein with veg,shrimp,bbq pork and beef topping over the noodles. Mein means noodle in chinese. Chow mein is stir fried in a wok. What we got for $350p +50p tip was 2 barely passable egg roles. some tasteless warm water with a few vegs floating and bits and pieces of wonton dough and 2 wonton innards. a lumpy bed of plain rice not noodles under mystery overcooked vegs and a few small bits of shrimp,bbq pork and beef bits. This is not my first rodeo in the eating of Chinese food but definitely the last time ordering from Min Wah. Absolutely the WORST, by a country mile I've ever had and I had my first experience in 1965 In the Toronto Chinatown and used a wok myself on occasion with no complaints from my wife and friends. I should have listened to a lot of you people that gave this dreadful place thumbs down.

pedro kertesz

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Carnivore said:

Ian Greenwood is, as usual, right on!

Today I posted the following on Min Wah's Facebook Page.  Hopefully the owner's will see it sometime soon. Our two recent delivery orders were just fine.  Reading the post that I copied and included on their Facebook page was discouraging.  The owner's need to know what's being said.  Maybe what's written will help.  We, personally, would like to see them survive. 

..........................................................................................................

If the owners of MIN WAH would review the recent posts on Chapala.com (LA COCINA SECTION) it might help them understand that although there are a number of people, who have over the years enjoyed the restaurant, there are some very disturbing recent reviews.  Some recent posts in this time of the Covid-19 shutdown do not support the restaurant.  When most of us have to rely on telephoning our orders and "gambling" that what we order will be delivered on time and be of a level of quality and value that we would expect if dining in the restaurant..... reading numerous bad reviews would discourage most people from ordering.

Following I've copied a recent post from Chapala.com that, if legitimate, would discourage anyone from placing an order from your restaurant. If the food is delivered and turns out to be as described in this post what would a disappointed patron do? In reality it's pretty hard to complain over the phone!

My wife and I have frequented the restaurant for years and have had two delivery orders in the last three weeks. We were going to order again today until I read the post in the La Cocina section of the Chapala.comWeb-board.

TO MIN WAH'S OWNER AND MANAGEMENT: PLEASE MONITOR, REGULARLY THAT WEB-SITE. IF YOU DO AND POSITIVELY REACT TO WHAT'S WRITTEN, YOUR BUSINESS WILL SURVIVE THESE TOUGH TIMES. IF YOU DON'T PAY MORE ATTENTION YOU MIGHT NOT.

HERE'S THE DISCOURAGING POST: 

So two days ago we ordered delivery of 2 egg rolls,1liter of wonton soup, and chow mein with veg,shrimp,bbq pork and beef topping over the noodles. Mein means noodle in chinese. Chow mein is stir fried in a wok. What we got for $350p +50p tip was 2 barely passable egg roles. some tasteless warm water with a few vegs floating and bits and pieces of wonton dough and 2 wonton innards. a lumpy bed of plain rice not noodles under mystery overcooked vegs and a few small bits of shrimp,bbq pork and beef bits. This is not my first rodeo in the eating of Chinese food but definitely the last time ordering from Min Wah. Absolutely the WORST, by a country mile I've ever had and I had my first experience in 1965 In the Toronto Chinatown and used a wok myself on occasion with no complaints from my wife and friends. I should have listened to a lot of you people that gave this dreadful place thumbs down.

pedro kertesz

My post was totally LEGITIMATE and FACTUAL.   I don't appreciate my VERACITY being questioned on a real experience that I described. We threw most of it in the garbage. There are many others who have posted about bad experiences  with them, not just me, so why did you chose to single me out to publish on their facebook page? Give me your real name and I'll try to do the same in kind somewhere for you.

You know, Pedro and I have locked horns many times over the years. But he is only providing his name because of the constant belittling by "certain" members of this Board who regularly complain that posters hide behind their avatar names. I have to applaud him for that. I cannot applaud him, however, for selecting that gross happyjillin username as his comeback.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ferret said:

He was trying to help. However, he did not have to include your name... and nor did you, in the original post, because most of us already know who you are.

If Peter hadn't included his actual name (or his Spanish variation)  which is unusual, I would never have left it in the post.  Why did I choose that particular post?  Simply because it was singularly the most disparaging....... bordering on abhorrence!   Getting attention was obviously intended!  Hopefully the message(s) within the ensuing posting(s) will filter through to the owners of "Min Wah" and work towards achievement of the intended result!   

• Sad 1

Several years ago, when we were part of a regular Sunday morning breakfast group of friends, we would eat breakfast there.  It was consistently good and the dining room is pleasant and quiet.  Not so with the Chinese offerings which puzzles us.  It was terrible.

Unfortunately threads pointing this out have been posted here periodically for years with no discernible effect.  It certainly would be great to have a local Chinese place that was at least competent and I'd be willing to bet it would be popular.  Doesn't look like it is going to happen, though.

Dan

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Carnivore said:

If Peter hadn't included his actual name (or his Spanish variation)  which is unusual, I would never have left it in the post.  Why did I choose that particular post?  Simply because it was singularly the most disparaging....... bordering on abhorrence!   Getting attention was obviously intended!  Hopefully the message(s) within the ensuing posting(s) will filter through to the owners of "Min Wah" and work towards achievement of the intended result!   

One, it will have no effect. It is too long, for one thing. No one reads past the first two lines anymore. Especially in this kind of situation.

Two, Pedro was absolutely correct in his statement, but you have turned it into a personal affront instead of a complaint. So thanks to you, they won't pay any attention to it anyway, even if they read it all.

Third, it was not your place to include his name in an action like that without his approval. You should have given that a bit more thought, I think.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Carnivore said:

It was a restaurant review and nothing else. You apparently want the attention,not I.  Bordering on abhorrence? Not bordering at all,full fledged disgust. Not much fun throwing  over 3/4 in the garbage after paying $400p for that crap. If they don't even know what mein means even though it's printed on their menu there is no hope for them.

On 4/20/2020 at 9:29 AM, happyjillin said:

I agree. Never had a good meal there.

Min Wah has known about their problems for many years. A few years ago they put on a Chinese New Years buffet, limited to a certain amount of people. That attracted a group including many of Ajijic'S A list celebrities. Yes, there is such a thing. Long story short, 8 of them contracted food poisoning. As related to.me by one of the victims