Chapala.com Webboard

Min Wah

happyjillin

So two days ago we ordered delivery of 2 egg rolls,1liter of wonton soup, and chow mein with veg,shrimp,bbq pork and beef topping over the noodles. Mein means noodle in chinese. Chow mein is stir fried in a wok. What we got for $350p +50p tip was 2 barely passable egg roles. some tasteless warm water with a few vegs floating and bits and pieces of wonton dough and 2 wonton innards. a lumpy bed of plain rice not noodles under mystery overcooked vegs and a few small bits of shrimp,bbq pork and beef bits. This is not my first rodeo in the eating of Chinese food but definitely the last time ordering from Min Wah. Absolutely the WORST, by a country mile I've ever had and I had my first experience in 1965 In the Toronto Chinatown and used a wok myself on occasion with no complaints from my wife and friends. I should have listened to a lot of you people that gave this dreadful place thumbs down.

• Thanks 1

They used to be good, long ago, then something happened. Have known the family for many years, and they insist the cooks have not changed or left. We had occasion to actually complain after getting odd-tasting dishes more than once. The only item I can count on is sizzing rice soup, but that's not something that works for delivery. We won't go back.

Truly one of the very few restaurants in Ajijic where we could find absolutely nothing worth eating, after a number of attempts.  May as well throw your money out the window.  

Once pre-ordered by several days, a very expensive whole Peking Duck.  Hardly any crispy skin and it came with a huge tub of heavy brown gelatinous gravy.  What an abomination.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Truly one of the very few restaurants in Ajijic where we could find absolutely nothing worth eating, after a number of attempts.  May as well throw your money out the window.  

Once pre-ordered by several days, a very expensive whole Peking Duck.  Hardly any crispy skin and it came with a huge tub of heavy brown gelatinous gravy.  What an abomination.   

Anybody that thinks this place is anything but crap of the first order is not experienced in the consumption of good Chinese. Even the small town of Millet Alberta had a good Chinese Restaurant. We had a not bad Korean restaurant there too for a while.

16 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

Anybody that thinks this place is anything but crap of the first order is not experienced in the consumption of good Chinese. Even the small town of Millet Alberta had a good Chinese Restaurant. We had a not bad Korean restaurant there too for a while.

The first (and last) time we ate there was years ago.  Enough said?  I hear there's some good Chinese in Joco, but it's not handy, so when we have  the urge for Asian, we go for the pot stickers and such at Chopsticks.  It's not a substitute for the good Chinese we had in Silicon Valley in CA, but it's delicious and properly cooked.

On the other end of the spectrum, living in Vancouver so long, shopping in so many large Chinese groceries, so many Chinese friends and business contacts, pretty well can cook any Chinese dish, many regions. One friend, a former Chief Steward for Cathay Pacific Airlines was often lonely with his wife away and used to come over to teach us Chinese cooking (Cantonese Hong Kong). For Chinese food is love and medicine. I guess the local restaurants are not feeling it.

50 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

Until they closed because of this mess and no Tapatio customers, we got relatively decent take out from the place on Madero,Chapala just south of the coffee shop. Never spent more than $110p for 2 with leftovers and they know what chow mein stir fry is.

How does it compare to the Chinese take out kiosk at Soriana? 

I find the one at Soriana to be even worse than the one at Laguna Mall. Min Wah actually is capable of making very good food, but for some reason they have screwed it up these last years, either by using stale oil, or overcooking, or buying inferior meat (you know you can get chicken tenders for less than chicken breasts, which are white meat but have a tendon running the length, and if you don't remove that tendon you get tough, difficult to chew chicken balls... but you save money!) or vegetables to save money.

I've been cooking wok for decades, and I should be able to count on getting better dishes when I go out than I do cooking for myself. I mean, I'm good, but I'm not that good.

27 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

I find the one at Soriana to be even worse than the one at Laguna Mall. Min Wah actually is capable of making very good food, but for some reason they have screwed it up these last years, either by using stale oil, or overcooking, or buying inferior meat (you know you can get chicken tenders for less than chicken breasts, which are white meat but have a tendon running the length, and if you don't remove that tendon you get tough, difficult to chew chicken balls... but you save money!) or vegetables to save money.

I've been cooking wok for decades, and I should be able to count on getting better dishes when I go out than I do cooking for myself. I mean, I'm good, but I'm not that good.

Don't you worry about an alleged Chinese place that thinks using lumpy cooked rice instead of noodles in chow mein, which is clearly a noodle dish that is stir fried?

Of course. Of course. I already said I don't go there anymore. But I also said they are capable of making very good food, which they used to do. In fact, the basis of all their dishes used to be  far superior to the two steam-table places we have, so I know they can do it. I just don't know what happened. Booze in the kitchen?

1 hour ago, oregontochapala said:

We had both the soup and fried rice on our one and only visit. The soup was extremely salty, so much so that it was inedible. Thinking, who can screw up fried rice, we pushed the soup aside and waited. What we received was some rice alright, but most had not received the benefit of soy sauce or being stirred in the wok long enough to break down the clumps. No egg, few vegetables, dry pieces of chicken and the clumps. You couldn't pay me to return.

Sounds about right! I can't fathom anyone wanting to eat their crap.

Luckily for us, there is the China Inn in Joco, which serves really good Chinese dishes (and pretty poor sushi). Unluckily, if the deliver, it won't be here in Riberas. I don't know if anyone could drive there for to-go... what do you tell the checkpoint officers? It's life or death?

Has anyone done them the kindness of printing out this discussion and giving tit to them. They have been a long standing business in this area and has served the public. They deserve to know why their business is dying

Believe me, I agree, my wife has the worst 24 hours of her life after eating there and we haven't been back, but to have their business die without knowing why?

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, #HarryB said:

Has anyone done them the kindness of printing out this discussion and giving tit to them. They have been a long standing business in this area and has served the public. They deserve to know why their business is dying

Believe me, I agree, my wife has the worst 24 hours of her life after eating there and we haven't been back, but to have their business die without knowing why?

HarryB:  You would be a good spokesperson to inform them of this.  However, I can't imagine that they haven't already heard complaints.

• Confused 1