Chapala.com Webboard

New Rules for Tomorrow

I was at Walmart around noon today, everyone inside was wearing masks.  Most items are well stocked.  There were definitely people there over 60 shopping for essentials.  Drove through the village to get there, I would say 50% of the people on the street were wearing masks.  Keeping in mind it’s the first day, I suspect we will see a higher percentage wearing masks as time goes on.  It was pretty much the same as shopping last week except everyone in the store was in a mask. 

2 hours ago, gringohombre said:

Where do you get masks? I am in SAT.

You can have them in one day from many vendors on Mercadolibre if you can't find them locally.  search cobrebocas on left change from mas relevsntes to menor precio then click on  FULL and you will only see items that are in the Mercadolibre warehouse and have next day delivery to Chapala. 

2 hours ago, mudgirl said:
5 hours ago, ajijicbound said:

For people who are afraid of facebook, it is a really good reference source now to what is happening in your community.

Why would you think those who aren't interested in having a Facebook account are "afraid" of it? 

yeah, not afraid, just think Zuckerberg is a THIS IS MOD 5. NO BAD WORDS

Edited by moderator5
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Justathought said:

Kam ..was that really necessary ?

I believe the first question should be "why use the word afraid?", don't you? Without that insulting

word, kam would not replied.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, artsnob said:

How do you join

I am not kidding. Try finding any kid 10 years old or older in your neighborhood. And he can set you up. It is a lot easier than someone your (our) age trying to do it, if you are not a techie.

4 hours ago, kam said:

yeah, not afraid, just think Zuckerberg is a THIS IS MOD 5. NO BAD WORDS

Many of us are here as Fakebook doesn't really moderate but allows most any post that will increase money into Zuc's pocket. So thank you MOD 5 for doing your job and thank you kam for making a point. We aren't "afraid of" or hate Fakebook, we just see it as an untrustworthy, unreliable pile of crap with a layer of friends, family, and cat videos on top to cover the stench and entice you into the first few bites.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Non-FAKEBOOK users are subject to a certain level of ridicule, as though they are stuck in a stone age mentality.  This may be because FB users don't consider the fact that they have given away their information to an entitly that makes big bucks selling it. I have to wonder if they operate that way in other matters, such as giving their car to a dealer for him to re-sell?

In a world where private email is available, there's no need to use FB to connect with relatives or people we actually know.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Many are beginning to understand how much better off the world would be without most of the "social media" apps. 

I believe most people today are relying more on social media to stay in touch and get information. Social media use is growing not declining. They may switch eventually to another app but they are not leaving social  media. Many of my Friends say they would leave Facebook in a heartbeat if there was a better platform. But nobody is leaving until there is. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, tomwins said:

Many of us are here as Fakebook doesn't really moderate but allows most any post that will increase money into Zuc's pocket. So thank you MOD 5 for doing your job and thank you kam for making a point. We aren't "afraid of" or hate Fakebook, we just see it as an untrustworthy, unreliable pile of crap with a layer of friends, family, and cat videos on top to cover the stench and entice you into the first few bites.

I am on facebook and my page is friends only. I administer 2 antiques groups and belong to some others similar and they are all quite useful and entertaining. My groups are private not public as are most of the other similar groups that I belong too so in order to join you need to be approved by admin. That is a great weeding out process. There are also other helpful groups for buying and selling. mule volunteering to haul stough back and forth and locally business pages from here which I have  used successfully. The only thing that annoys me is the barrage of ads on my home page but I am annoyed by TV ads too. You are generalizing and staying true to form on your negativity towards the big guys as you have done consistently here. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, vetteforron said:

Please no more cat videos.

Hey I LIKE the cat videos.  So does my cat.  :D 

If one focuses on groups of shared interest and finding stuff one wants to buy FB can be very useful.

And I enjoy all the animal rescue and moto riding videos.  I agree with Happy here, it is all in how one uses the site.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, happyjillin said:

You are generalizing and staying true to form on your negativity towards the big guys as you have done consistently here. 

Yes, I am generalizing and saying that large corporations will come out of this crisis more easily than the smaller businesses that manage to survive. Just look at what happened when the US gave loans to small businesses and multi-million dollar corporations ended up getting large portions of the money to the extent that it ran out of funding. When it was exposed how broken the US process was, some gave it back but it just reveals how much easier it is for the big guys to get help.

The smaller the business, the more help is needed right now and the harder it is to get. That is exactly why I am calling on people to support the local Mexican owned stores whenever possible instead of sending more money to US owned corporations. It is a critical time and these smaller stores need our help to survive. They are the sources of livelihood for many families. Walmart staff will be paid their small salary even if you don't go there but these smaller stores will only survive if we shop there. If you call that "negativity" toward large corporations that have used their power to crush the smaller stores for years, then you have that right term. I see it as wanting local families and their businesses to survive because I love this community and want it to be strong and survive.

But that is not the only reason why I don't buy my vegetables at Walmart. The quality of them is nothing like as fresh and flavorful as I get at the local markets. Try it and see for yourself.

• Thanks 2

We could start by recognizing these small businesses don't cater to big crowds of people like a Walmart and it is easy for them to operate in a safe manner.  There is little justification IMO for shutting down a paint store or phone store or computer store that might serve 1-2 people at a time while leaving the big boxes open.

These checkpoints that require hours to get through are also bound to be hurting small businesses and workers trying to survive.  I personally think they are operated this way to intimidate and harass us, not really protect us.  They should be either properly staffed to keep things moving or shut down.  It is inexcusable it took three hours to return from GDL on Saturday because of this.

6 minutes ago, tomwins said:

Yes, I am generalizing and saying that large corporations will come out of this crisis more easily than the smaller businesses that manage to survive. Just look at what happened when the US gave loans to small businesses and multi-million dollar corporations ended up getting large portions of the money to the extent that it ran out of funding. When it was exposed how broken the US process was, some gave it back but it just reveals how much easier it is for the big guys to get help.

The smaller the business, the more help is needed right now and the harder it is to get. That is exactly why I am calling on people to support the local Mexican owned stores whenever possible instead of sending more money to US owned corporations. It is a critical time and these smaller stores need our help to survive. They are the sources of livelihood for many families. Walmart staff will be paid their small salary even if you don't go there but these smaller stores will only survive if we shop there. If you call that "negativity" toward large corporations that have used their power to crush the smaller stores for years, then you have that right term. I see it as wanting local families and their businesses to survive because I love this community and want it to be strong and survive.

But that is not the only reason why I don't buy my vegetables at Walmart. The quality of them is nothing like as fresh and flavorful as I get at the local markets. Try it and see for yourself.

You are assuming too much; assumptions that are incorrect. First, you've already been told that WalMart Mexico IS Mexican and the money stays here, except for the percentage the original company makes... same as with every corporation around the world. Second, you've been told that it provides thousands of jobs in this country.

But your assumption that it is killing small businesses is also based on a fallacy. Every corporation started as a Mom'n'Pop, and the founders (let's say, like Black & Decker) built the business from a garage hobby into a full-blown international outfit. They were hailed as heroes for "making it" and for providing jobs. Now it's hip to denigrate them all. ANY corner store could take the same approach if they wanted. So it's on THEM if they don't. Case in point: the plastic and bits shop on Madero in Chapala. He's happy with his level of growth. He carries a big selection of toasters, pot sets, clocks, dollar gadgets, bedding, etc. Now, he ain't "living the life" but he took it upon himself to up the game, and he is very popular (even though he is a grump). Same with the gift shop off the plaza in Ajijic.

So it can be done. Don't be putting all the blame on others who "won". Put the blame on them when you know they lobby unfairly with huge amounts of money and bribes in Washington to further their shareholder's interests. THAT's where the problem lies. But remember, they didn't start out that way. Unless their father was rich and gave them 10 million to get started...

On the other hand, yes, we know the US gov't is corrupt at many levels and that the big corps are going to take all the money, because they have cadres of lawyers taking advantage of every loophole in the acts (including those loopholes built in by those legislators who are in the pockets of those same corporations.

• Like 1

I'm sure glad to know the U.S. government is the only one that is corrupt and full of bribery.  That sure makes it a lot easier to fix the problem since only one country has it and we don't even have to worry about such things happening here in Mexico.  Why we don't even have anybody giving their kids millions to start businesses or just go to Europe and be playboys and girls and crash their Lambos or Ferraris either!

What was that opening sentence?  "You are assuming too much..."

:D 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

I'm sure glad to know the U.S. government is the only one that is corrupt and full of bribery.  That sure makes it a lot easier to fix the problem and we don't even have to worry about such things happening here in Mexico.  Why we don't even have anybody giving their kids millions to start businesses or just go to Europe and be playboys and girls either!

Everything  Mike posted until that point makes sense. He should have not singled out the US. He and I are both Canadian which country has a Prime Minister who never really actually worked, because he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. Shyte happens in every country and this nastiness is more visible in some. The board member Mike was addressing has a clear SJW bent. Scary!

pedro kertesz

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

I'm sure glad to know the U.S. government is the only one that is corrupt and full of bribery.  That sure makes it a lot easier to fix the problem since only one country has it and we don't even have to worry about such things happening here in Mexico.  Why we don't even have anybody giving their kids millions to start businesses or just go to Europe and be playboys and girls and crash their Lambos or Ferraris either!

Quite wrong. YOU are assuming that is my point, when it really has nothing to do with anything. Do I have to preface every point with a disclaimer?

But of course, by purposely mistaking my point, you are taking away from it so that readers here will now be on your path to confusion and political chicanery. Those that want to, anyway.

50 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

Everything  Mike posted until that point makes sense. He should have not singled out the US. He and I are both Canadian which country has a Prime Minister who never really actually worked, because he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. Shyte happens in every country and this nastiness is more visible in some. The board member Mike was addressing has a clear SJW bent. Scary!

pedro kertesz

Again, where did I single out any country? Just because I used Black & Decker as an example?

So it can be done. Don't be putting all the blame on others who "won". Put the blame on them when you know they lobby unfairly with huge amounts of money and bribes in Washington to further their shareholder's interests. THAT's where the problem lies. But remember, they didn't start out that way. Unless their father was rich and gave them 10 million to get started...

On the other hand, yes, we know the US gov't is corrupt at many levels and that the big corps are going to take all the money, because they have cadres of lawyers taking advantage of every loophole in the acts (including those loopholes built in by those legislators who are in the pockets of those same corporations.

Don't you read your own posts?

• Like 1