Chapala.com Webboard

Laptop with Windows 10 in English and English language keyboard

On 4/17/2020 at 7:01 PM, Ferret said:

I ordered an English laptop Windows 10 with an English keyboard from Amazon.com (NOT .com.mx) and had it delivered to iShop. It took just a week to get here. imho, that may be the easiest and least painful thing for you to do. If you put in iShop's address as the default, it will state clearly on their website whether it can be shipped to Mexico or not. iShop charged me 30 pesos to receive it and I do not have a mailbox there.

Happy hunting. Suerte!

Ferret, may I please have the address of iShop you had it sent to?

Do you have it sent with your name % iShop or what?

Possibly a stupid question, but does all mail sent to that address come to the iShop here in SAT?

Your Name

c/o iShop

Carr. Chapala-Jocotepec #144

San Antonio Tlayacapan, Jalisco

In the address put YOUR cell phone number for contact.The above is the address of the iShop in SAT. And, with Amazon, you can track it and know when it arrives there. Call their number at 376-766-1933 to confirm that they are still taking deliveries because, to my knowledge, they are open fewer hours TO THE PUBLIC now and deliveries always took place between noon and four pm.

edited to add: fyi, Amazon will include the duty to be paid (16%) etc. BEFORE you check out. If they overcharge you for it, they do refund it to your credit card.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for all the responses. I've narrowed it down to ordering from Amazon.com and have it delivered to iShop (thank you Ferret) or ComputerGuy's suggestion of getting Windows 10 Pro if I buy thru a Mexican vendor ("Windows Pro allows you to download a language pack of any kind.")  I'm not a typist and should be able to get used to the Spanish keyboard if I go with the latter. Agree, not looking to take a Mexican typing class anytime soon :)

I suggest you go with Amazon and get an English laptop.  I have twice bought Mexican vendor computers and changed over to English, hated them , not the same, one issue after another.  I also hated the keyboard and I am no typist for sure. JMHO

3 hours ago, InChapala1 said:

Thank you for all the responses. I've narrowed it down to ordering from Amazon.com and have it delivered to iShop (thank you Ferret) or ComputerGuy's suggestion of getting Windows 10 Pro if I buy thru a Mexican vendor ("Windows Pro allows you to download a language pack of any kind.")  I'm not a typist and should be able to get used to the Spanish keyboard if I go with the latter. Agree, not looking to take a Mexican typing class anytime soon :)

They make stickers that you can put on the keyboard, peel and stick. I think originally for keys that wear off but you can cover the Spanish keys with the English once you change the language. Many keys will not need to be covered as they are the same.

I had thought of doing this but since I don't look at the keys when typing have not bothered. For a hunt & peck person it may be worth it.

For anyone needing a laptop with an English Operating system and an English keyboard, Mike the ComputerGuy just posted TWO used and rebuilt ones in the Classified section here.

I am still using the used one that I bought from him over a year ago when I was DESPERATE and didn't know how long it would take for my new one to arrive. It's a Toshiba as well and I really like the feel of the keys. Works GREAT and I've never had a problem with it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tomwins said:

They make stickers that you can put on the keyboard, peel and stick. I think originally for keys that wear off but you can cover the Spanish keys with the English once you change the language. Many keys will not need to be covered as they are the same.

I had thought of doing this but since I don't look at the keys when typing have not bothered. For a hunt & peck person it may be worth it.

A friend of mine had something great- it was a molded soft plastic thing that just fit over all the keys with BIG letters for the close-up vision-challenged hunt and peckers.

2 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

A friend of mine had something great- it was a molded soft plastic thing that just fit over all the keys with BIG letters for the close-up vision-challenged hunt and peckers.

Yes, I've tried one. You need one designed for the specific style of keyboard you have as they slip over the entire keyboard. You can get all sorts of colors and languages. They even make glow in the dark.

I ended up taking the one I had off as it is silicon and slowed my fingers down as I was typing. It may work well for a hunt and peck typist. The added benefit to having it on your keys is that any debris is kept from going in between the keys. You can easily remove and clean it and then put it back on.

• Like 1